Archaic Phone Connection

Felix-451

I posted this in reply to a similar post, but didn't get any replies so posting as a new topic. Would value any advice.

I'm trying to get an internet cable connection in my Bangkok apartment - when I moved in I was told that it would be no problem, lots of people were using cable internet in my building. However, when I the internet company in partnership with the building, arrived to install it, they informed me I had the wrong phone-line and have to change it because it won't connect with the modem.

Basically, the phone connection requires a pin-plug and obviously the modem's connector will not fit into that. I hatched a temporary solution, whereby I cut the pin-plug off the old phone that was in the room and wired it to the modem. This worked for two days (and this was over a month ago) and then suddenly ceased working.

The internet company came and checked all the cables etc, and told me that there was no problem at their end and I have to get the phone-line changed. Hmm.. now there are apparently no converters etc, and the apartment staff can give me no coherent advice on who to contact as to get the line changed (which is probably because they don't speak English and I don't speak Thai.. I've tried getting a Thai to talk to them about the problem to no avail).

What can I do?

get the phone line changed ................................ :o

apparently lines ain't lines , Sol .................

I'm sure some of the techo's here will have the reason , stick around ....................................

I've heard that TOT do not come into your home.

Not true in my experience ,

no offense but you need a Thai to explain / translate I suspect .

At the TOT office , or go higher up the food chain with the appartment staff

Well, yes, so my question is simply - Who can I get to change the line?

I've heard that TOT do not come into your home.

probably the problem is not the phone line but just your phone sockets. Go to any hardware store or HomePro and get a socket which matches the jack of your modem cable.

If you can not install the socket yourself, call TOT, tell them you have a problem with your line, they will come and check your line. They will come into your house and check the installation for a 'private' tip (in BKK a red note per person works wonders) and they even install the correct socket for you if you have the right hardware on hand.

We have experience with the TOT and TRUE technicians and all have been VERY helpful !!!

In fact we never had to pay any special tip (TOT or TRUE); they came into the house, checked our lines with their equipment and told us where the problem is (lose connection or a rat gnawed its way through a cable). They offered to repair it for a fee but we did the repair on our own, yet gave them a good tip for their service.

opalhort

..............you need a Thai to explain / translate I suspect .

correct!

you may manage to get the call center to record your problem in English but the technician will call back for more details and he won't understand a word of English.

opalhort

What is a phone line? At least you have one, archaic or not.

I have been waiting nearly 4 years for one and I know of people who have been waiting much longer than that. :o

Your only problem seems to be the connection between the line and the modem and I am sure for a modest fee someone can fix it for you.

Thanks for the replies.

'..probably the problem is not the phone line but just your phone sockets. Go to any hardware store or HomePro and get a socket which matches the jack of your modem cable.'

That seems the most reasonable solution, incredible, I didn't think of it myself.. Thanks.