Long-time homeless American deported

Rimmer

9 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Do no think he will find much compassion amongst his own kind.

Wonder who will pay for airfare? at least he will get somewhere to sleep and something to eat while he is waiting.

The embassy is known for paying emergency airfare and then banning future international travel until the debt is paid back. But paying fines, I think not. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, jaywalker said:

The US Gov't will buy THE MOST EXPENSIVE (yes, they actually highlight that fact) airfare back to the US they can find, then it will be like a student loan or child support debt. It will never, ever go away until it is paid off or he dies.

Back in the early '90's I worked at the US embassy in Bangkok.       Although I didn't work in the Consulate I knew a couple people there and I recall them saying US citizens that were returned to the US flew economy class.     Maybe that policy has changed.     Can you tell us where you got the info that the USG  will buy the most expensive airfare?

There was this Malaysian Malay lady in the early 2000s who went on the wrong bus and ended up in Thailand. Then she tried to get back to Malaysia and again boarded the wrong bus and went even further up north. After she run out of money she was on the street and the city council thought she was mentally disturbed person took her to the homeless shelter. She couldn't speak Thai so she just lived there for 12 years until one day some Malaysian Red cross people came to visit the center on goodwill visit sponsored by Thai government. They were surprised to hear her speak perfect Malay and they found out what happened and got her to go back to Malaysia.

This news came out in the Malaysian newspaper.

Just now, madusa said:

There was this Malaysian Malay lady in the early 2000s who went on the wrong bus and ended up in Thailand. Then she tried to get back to Malaysia and again boarded the wrong bus and went even further up north. After she run out of money she was on the street and the city council thought she was mentally disturbed person took her to the homeless shelter. She couldn't speak Thai so she just lived there for 12 years until one day some Malaysian Red cross people came to visit the center on goodwill visit sponsored by Thai government. They were surprised to hear her speak perfect Malay and they found out what happened and got her to go back to Malaysia.

This news came out in the Malaysian newspaper.

errrrm...

either the story is <deleted> or they were not wrong about her being mentally distrubed.

1 minute ago, madusa said:

Is that deleted a four letter word?. Please don't use this unkind word on strangers ok?

nope.

it was a colloquial english word for "fake", "made up" - I'm surprised it was filtered out.

Edited by manarak

3 hours ago, Spaniel said:

Back in the early '90's I worked at the US embassy in Bangkok.       Although I didn't work in the Consulate I knew a couple people there and I recall them saying US citizens that were returned to the US flew economy class.     Maybe that policy has changed.     Can you tell us where you got the info that the USG  will buy the most expensive airfare?

I read it a few years (maybe 5) ago on the embassy website as I recall. It never said business class, just "Most Expensive" ticket.

On 11/24/2017 at 1:46 AM, thaifan01 said:

Couldn't agree more. 

I do agree in this case. However this is not the typical case. Thailand's IDC  is overfull with many nationalities which are not treated very well.  

This guy must have somebody paying his way as the US embassy will not pay your fine or trip home. They will help you reach out to family and friends to raise they money., but they dont provide a free trip home. i think there is more to this story. 

I read it a few years (maybe 5) ago on the embassy website as I recall. It never said business class, just "Most Expensive" ticket.

Normally the embassy would not buy any ticket, the traveller or their friends/family would buy it. Embassy role is to help with travel document if necessary and help contact family back in us.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I hope he gets into a veterans home, group mental facility or hospital, or maybe relatives that can help (most doubtful).

If he ends up on the street in the US he won’t survive to see the spring. The situation is just to too dire right now, after years in Thailand the thugs and crims on Americas streets will eat him alive.

I walk the beach almost nightly. I am pretty sure I saw him sitting on the south side of the platform across from mikes. I always thought of that section as the "down and outer's place", as there are 4 or 5 of the heaviest drinkers who sit there with their whiskey bottles. He looked the worse out of the lot, pruned, wrinkled and old clothes. The others don't look much better but I normally pass by quickly so i am not sure if he was a drunk or just fit in with them. 

After years of living here I can't count the number of expats who have died in their 50's and 60's due to alcoholism after just a few years of showing up here.

2 hours ago, marinediscoking said:

I walk the beach almost nightly. I am pretty sure I saw him sitting on the south side of the platform across from mikes. I always thought of that section as the "down and outer's place", as there are 4 or 5 of the heaviest drinkers who sit there with their whiskey bottles. He looked the worse out of the lot, pruned, wrinkled and old clothes. The others don't look much better but I normally pass by quickly so i am not sure if he was a drunk or just fit in with them. 

After years of living here I can't count the number of expats who have died in their 50's and 60's due to alcoholism after just a few years of showing up here.

I can understand that. Depressed for some reason to not want to live but don't want to do anything about it., so just drink themselves to death.

"Leaving Las Vegas" film is about that sort of thing.

Scott has not been homeless for 20 years - he used to live the other side of Sukhumvit, opposite Pattaya Klang, perhaps elsewhere before that. He is an intelligent guy & for much of that time he made a decent living as a teacher over here. The teaching work dried up & sadly over the last 4 or 5 years he gradually went off the rails.

Regardless of what has happened in this mans recent past. I, for one, hope he gets support and assistance from his fellow man in what ever country 'they' deem fit for him to be in. God bless you sir.

Of course but assuming he's likely still in detention here he's at risk. Bigly. And even if he gets out his fun would only be beginning.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I once met an American living in Mexico.  The neighbors took him in to help him.  I gave him sheets, a pillow, some food and clothing.  Within a few days I got to know him.  Two years prior his house had been robbed an he was severely beaten.  When he woke up in a Red Cross hospital he didn't remember much about anything prior to the beating.  I went through his wallet with him and found some information I could use.  Within a week his family was there to pick him up and take him home.  They thought he was gone for good.  He was only 35.  Two years a bum in Mexico will retard you even without a beating.  As it turned out his family was wealthy enough and he had just rented a trailer on the beach to surf and have fun for a year.  

So....Do not judge...lest ye be judged.

On 11/24/2017 at 12:09 PM, ezzra said:

So now he's gone from being a bum here to be one over there, it's beyond

me how able body people just throw their life away to the garbage and

resign the human race just to be a burden on others....

He does not look very "able bodied" in the photo, and I would hazard that he has not been so for quite some time.
I have been unable, at 63, to work for thirteen years. Glad I  accumulated a few assets when I could.
Guessing this guy does not have Social Security, but may be able to get SSI back "home".
Good luck, old boy.

On 11/24/2017 at 4:10 PM, giddyup said:

$250 a day! They must all be living the high life tucked up in newspapers on a park bench.

Yes, I detect a whiff of BS on that one. Maybe a really talented "busker", aka a beggar who plays a musical instrument or sings, would make that at a prime location in NYC. Defo not the folks who hang out front of a suburban Walmart with a sign and a Slurpee cup for their "earnings".

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

He does not look very "able bodied" in the photo, and I would hazard that he has not been so for quite some time.
I have been unable, at 63, to work for thirteen years. Glad I  accumulated a few assets when I could.
Guessing this guy does not have Social Security, but may be able to get SSI back "home".
Good luck, old boy.

It's hard to say if he'll have a S.S. claim to make or not. If he worked in the U.S. before for 10 years (doesn't need to be consecutive) with some minimum income requirements, he would. Also if he hasn't started his claim yet, he's already PAST the normal FULL S.S. retirement age which would be about 65 for his birth year, so he'd get the full benefit based on his lifetime earnings plus a premium for the later claim. But still likely a smaller check and not realistic to live on without backup SAVINGS. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 11/25/2017 at 1:38 AM, TunnelRat69 said:

California is his best bet, they have social programs that beat all other states, people documented or not enjoy the same state social security bennies.........if he has a history of working, he will collect Social Security, however small, if he is a veteran, he can get 'some' benifits, unless service connected then he can get 'many'............I gave the guy a thousand baht about a year ago, a guy I was with knew him for years and said he used to write menu's in English for Thai Resturants, had a loooong history in Patts - but refused any and all assistancre to return to the USA   -  wish him luck.

im not surprised.....he had to have been solid working , liked guy at one time.....and those who remember have helped him since....for sure this guy worked long enough in usa to draw money when he returns.....i am starting to believe he might miss thailand indefinetly cuz its home now....sad story .....his kids would be eligible ( if they want) usa passport ? maybe theyll follow now someday

16 hours ago, jimmyaaa said:

im not surprised.....he had to have been solid working , liked guy at one time.....and those who remember have helped him since....for sure this guy worked long enough in usa to draw money when he returns.....i am starting to believe he might miss thailand indefinetly cuz its home now....sad story .....his kids would be eligible ( if they want) usa passport ? maybe theyll follow now someday

In addition to his kids being eligible for a US passport , if they are under 18, 19 if still in high school,  they will also be eligible for SS payments too, assuming he himself is eligible.

Isn't there a well known homeless guy from Manchester, England in pattaya? I've seen him doing interviews on YouTube, his name is Steven Quinn. Why haven't thai immigration police deported him yet? He's been homeless there for years and has been on TV being interviewed about it 

40 minutes ago, Bonobojt said:

Isn't there a well known homeless guy from Manchester, England in pattaya? I've seen him doing interviews on YouTube, his name is Steven Quinn. Why haven't thai immigration police deported him yet? He's been homeless there for years and has been on TV being interviewed about it 

Well, now that you have blown his cover and identified him maybe someone will report him to Immigration.

Edited by Spaniel
add additional info

On 11/24/2017 at 1:50 PM, Sheryl said:

I have never known the US Embassy to do this. What they will do, is help locate friends/relatives back home who can send money.

Even in emergency evacuation of its citizens from unstable foreign countries/places at war (and I've personally been in some), people have to pay their own way. In some cases they will be allowed to sign an agreement to repay with the govt fronting the costs. And they will come after people for that money.

Is "Travelers Aid" still a functioning organization?  I recall that at least at one time, they would step into situations such as this and give assistance.

18 hours ago, Bonobojt said:

He was deported. You can find Steven's book "paradise gone wrong" on amazon. Charming guy.