Thailand’s Maria reaches top 5 as Miss South Africa crowned Miss Universe 2017

webfact

Thailand’s Maria reaches top 5 as Miss South Africa crowned Miss Universe 2017

By Thai PBS

Maria1.jpg

Thailand’s Maria Poonlertlarp made it to the final five in Miss Universe 2017 in Las Vegas but failed to reach the top three.

Maria was named the five finalists along with contestants from South Africa, Jamaica, Colombia, and Venezuela and it was Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters from South Africa who won the Miss Universe crown for 2017.

The runner-up was Miss Colombia Laura Gonzalez. The second runner-up was Miss Jamaica Davina Bennett.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailands-maria-reaches-top-5-miss-south-africa-crowned-miss-universe-2017/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-11-27

Pipped to the post but Thai beauty queen still smiling

By Kupluthai Pungkanon 
The Nation

85a70504e73c63f9e744f1580e447cd2-sld.jpe

Maria

Thai beauty queen Maria Poonlertlarp, who was selected as one of the final five contestants in the 66th Miss Universe 2017, smiled bravely through her disappointment as she watched Miss South Africa’s Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters crowned Miss Universe this morning (Bangkok time) at the Axis, Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas in the world's biggest beauty pageant.

Colombia's Laura Gonzalez was first runner-up and Jamaica's Davina Bennett was second. 

The 25-year-old Thai had been a favourite throughout the competition, often standing out amongst the 91 candidates. For the finals, she wore a stunning midnight blue silk velvet gown embroidered with dazzling Swarovski crystals created by leading Thai brand Asava, which was inspired by Her Majesty Queen Sirikit's outfits.

In the last question and answer section, each of the contestants  was asked “What do think has been the most important social movement of your generation, and why?” Maria answered was impressive, saying “I think the most important social movement so far is our ageing population though the most important movement of our time is our youth. Our youth are our future. We must invest in our young people because they are the ones that will look after the earth and the elderly.”

The beauty queens with the highest number of votes in the competition held in Las Vegas receive a guaranteed spot in the Top 12.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30332581

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-27

Miss Thailand certainly is pretty enough to have won.  But, responding well in the Q & A period is also important.  And her answer was not well thought out.  Also, she called the Master of Ceremonies (MC) by his last name, Harvey, without a Mr. before.  This sounded a little disrespectful to the MC, whose name is Steve Harvey.  I think if she had called him Steve, she would have gotten away without it.  Better yet, no need to call him anything.  Just answer the question well.  Too bad because I think this was Thailand's best chance to win in a long time.

85a70504e73c63f9e744f1580e447cd2-sld.jpeMiss South Africa Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters is crowned the 2017 Miss Universe.

Neither of these beauties appears to be what is commonly referred to as "typically Thai" or "typically South African".

Miss Thailand could just as easily be Miss USA or Miss Spain. At least Miss Jamaica is black.

Edited by ratcatcher

85a70504e73c63f9e744f1580e447cd2-sld.jpeg&key=20d0bbe0b1df0eb6178316511cd727174d4e522ae2daf65f4907cb9ba64da056BBFLTrD.img?h=656%26w=728%26m=6%26q=60%26o=f%26l=f%26x=2346%26y=1050&key=270585274c03b5b6adc906ce699494cb576b2c62f1c32470e07e1ad84ab3757c  

Neither of these beauties appears to be what is commonly referred to as "typically Thai" or "typically South African".

Miss Thailand could just as easily be Miss USA or Miss Spain. At least Miss Jamaica is black.

Don’t forget Miss Philippines ....Rachel Peters

At least Miss Thailand had a typical Thai name.

IMG_1624.PNG.33584314668ba9c52c1a8021e63ba795.PNG&key=7c95692c421ae32af01d2d87d371996d0bef9de68e11071fd07e7caf1660cfed

14 hours ago, sebastion said:

Can't find a full blood Thai?
It's cheating putting in half breed.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Half breed?

Do people still use such disgusting terms?

I mean it’s bad enough that contestant’s eligibility are being questioned because of their colour, but to use a term such as you have is appalling. 

Even if you were being sarcastic (and I hope you were) it’s still a foul phrase. 

Edited by Bluespunk

1 hour ago, Gregster said:

Don’t forget Miss Philippines ....Rachel Peters

At least Miss Thailand had a typical Thai name.

IMG_1624.PNG.33584314668ba9c52c1a8021e63ba795.PNG&key=7c95692c421ae32af01d2d87d371996d0bef9de68e11071fd07e7caf1660cfed

They change the names to suit the moment.Neither of these women has a pure Thai or Filipino pedigree.

Maria Lynn Ehren or Maria Poonlertlarp is the daughter of a Swedish father, Goran Ehren and a Thai Chinese mother , Chanoksuang Poonlertlarp.

Rachel Peters was born in Bahrain to parents Briton, Nigel Peters and  Filipina Annie Monkeybone.

31 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Half breed?

I mean it’s bad enough that contestant’s eligibility are being questioned because of their colour, but to use a term such as you have is appalling. 

Even if you were being sarcastic (and I hope you were) it’s still a foul phrase. 

I agree with you BS that it is not a particularly pleasant term, but what about 'lueck krung' literally meaning 'half-person'?. Thais (and ferangs) use it all the time.

How do you think one should refer to this beautiful Thai woman, mixed race perhaps? or perhaps it would be better not to mention her parentage at all, unlike the media who choose to highlight it, Prince Harry's fiancee being a prime example at present.

Edited by Toknarok

20 hours ago, rkidlad said:

For a country so obsessed with having a unique identity and a homogeneous look, she sure doesn't look like your typical Thai. Is Thailand turning a corner?

Homogeneous look?  Have you been to the northwest and the south?  I'm not sure what a typical Thai looks like, assuming there is even such a look.  As for turning a corner, the entertainment/advertising/modelling industry is disproportionately represented by Thais of mixed background - the biggest currently being Yaya (half Norwegian, I think) and Nadech (half Austrian).

8 minutes ago, OldSiamHand said:

Homogeneous look?  Have you been to the northwest and the south?  I'm not sure what a typical Thai looks like, assuming there is even such a look.  As for turning a corner, the entertainment/advertising/modelling industry is disproportionately represented by Thais of mixed background - the biggest currently being Yaya (half Norwegian, I think) and Nadech (half Austrian).

It was tongue in cheek. She's beautiful and represents Thailand so she's loved here (for that). If no one knows her, and she can't speak Thai very well, how would she get on at a national park without any ID and wanting to pay a local rate? 

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Half breed?

Thais do