Pattaya Baht Bus

Davai

1 hour ago, Davai said:

My suggestion is if this happen to anyone the best way is to Smile and say bye bye, it will look very funny but it works hahaha

I think it's best to exit the scene as quickly as possible without any such eye contact or engagement, walking in the opposite direction of traffic. 

• Like 1

It's ten baht and any idiot who pays a 100% more is a fool. Some Baht buses are 20 baht but they are white and travel around the Sukhumvit area. It's nothing to do with cheap Charlies.  Would people pay twice the price for a Starbucks coffee or any other item?

• Thanks 1

I boarded a baht bus yesterday from jomtien and I was the only one in then a group of passenger stop the bus asking for a direction to the Big Budha driver said 200 baht,  they boarded the bus. Driver drove fast direct to the  big budha in pratamnak,  the Russian family alighted and paid 200 baht off goes the bus continue towards, picking up normal passenger,  then I stopped at central festival,  I gave him 10 baht he said,  we went to big budha dropping the tourist and because of that he wants 40 baht from me because he said good sign seeing,  I smiled at him and said Chair yen yen you very sanook,  hahaha he was clueless and I left him only 10 baht he keep on calling me Mr Mr 40 baht I ignore and on my way waiving at him smiling and bye bye 
Thats a Classic the cheek of the guy

I once had one tried to charge me 30THB from somewhere I can't remember now to Central beach Rd. His Reason was "The Indian people paid that you have to as well" they happen to get of the same place I just laughed told him I've been here 3 years and put the 10THB on the passenger seat. As I walked of I told the Indians it's only 10THB but they wasn't interested to tell the Truth.

To tell the Truth I would have got of when he turned to go to the big Buddha then argue that I don't have to pay. This has happen to me a few times but always a group of male tourists who ask to go to a massage parlour. And then he drops them at Soi Honey. It's happened to me 3 times now the first time no one else paid the other 2 times I paid arter a protest because the childish drivers won't back down because they probably consider if losing face.

But I can never work out why these people choose a Taxi that's full of people to ask the driver to take them to a Massage Parlour. Also I wonder how much Commission he gets from the Tourist surely its more then enough to forfeit the 10THB as a good will gesture.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 30/01/2018 at 1:37 PM, Davai said:

I boarded a baht bus yesterday from jomtien and I was the only one in then a group of passenger stop the bus asking for a direction to the Big Budha driver said 200 baht,  they boarded the bus. Driver drove fast direct to the  big budha in pratamnak,  the Russian family alighted and paid 200 baht off goes the bus continue towards, picking up normal passenger,  then I stopped at central festival,  I gave him 10 baht he said,  we went to big budha dropping the tourist and because of that he wants 40 baht from me because he said good sign seeing,  I smiled at him and said Chair yen yen you very sanook,  hahaha he was clueless and I left him only 10 baht he keep on calling me Mr Mr 40 baht I ignore and on my way waiving at him smiling and bye bye 

There is a saying:  if you are not cheating, you are not trying.

If you were born here with obviously no choice, had a family to support, blah blah all the typical life stuff, what would you do??

So, they tried and you answered in the right way.  No harm, no foul.

It is what is is, so time to move on.......

• 4 weeks later...

JOMTIEN
To North Pattaya Road, North Pattaya 
10 baht NOT accepted:post-4641-1156693976:
20 baht demanded:post-4641-1156693976:

20 baht paid:post-4641-1156694083:

No violence:stoner:

OK, I think that makes five tries so far since I started counting on this thread.

So one rejection out of five so far translates into a 20 percent pushback rate.

I'll probably keep this formal test going until 10 rides.

A ten percent pushback rate might be low enough to conclude 10 baht is the real fare for this, but I'm confident even a 10 percent pushback rate is massively higher than the pushback rate to Pattaya Klang (which based on years of riding is less than ONE percent).

So if there is even one more push back in a sample of ten, that means a pushback rate of at least 20 percent. That's getting to be on the unacceptably high side.

Edited by Jingthing

I know that Thais are not good at helpful signs, but still find it somewhat amazing that there is no helpful sign, in any language, at the boarding place for baht buses to Jomtien, from Pattaya, at the school on Second Road.  

How are are tourists supposed to know?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, thailien8 said:

I know that Thais are not good at helpful signs, but still find it somewhat amazing that there is no helpful sign, in any language, at the boarding place for baht buses to Jomtien, from Pattaya, at the school on Second Road.  

How are are tourists supposed to know?

Same with the 2 dedicated bus stops to Naklua on 2nd Road and the bus for the bus station on Pattaya Nua.

Before I found one of these threads and figured out it really is 10 baht, every driver I asked the first time I visited (or rather the first time in years) they ALL said the fare was 20 baht so much so that the first time I actually paid 10 baht (from the second trip onwards) I was expecting a hail of abuse and / or problems.  No doubt they'll try it on when they can, and no doubt why I see dozens of folks, especially SE Asians getting off and paying 20 baht per person.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/12/2017 at 5:16 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Be grateful that you get 10 baht anywhere and 20 baht to Central. In Chiang Mai MINIMUM price is 30 baht ( just gone up from 20 ) and equivalent Jomptien to Central would probably be 50.

Indeed, and try taking one around midnight from Nimman to Hangdong!!!! :shock1: 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/01/2018 at 6:26 PM, Wonderboy said:

On 28/02/2018 at 9:22 AM, SooKee said:

Before I found one of these threads and figured out it really is 10 baht, every driver I asked the first time I visited (or rather the first time in years) they ALL said the fare was 20 baht so much so that the first time I actually paid 10 baht (from the second trip onwards) I was expecting a hail of abuse and / or problems.  No doubt they'll try it on when they can, and no doubt why I see dozens of folks, especially SE Asians getting off and paying 20 baht per person.

I was asked 20 baht around 1030pm from Jomtien night market to jomtien soi 16 few days ago 

I said no I give u 10 baht the driver shouted 20baht no 10 baht , I showed him the middle finger beczue he shouted at me for 20baht luckily a motorbike friend of mine came and ask the driver what happen and ask me where I took the bus I said from night market I was the last to drop 

My thai friend motorbike guy told the driver why he wants to do this to foreigner and made him sure that I wasn't a tourist they had talk in the end the bus driver ok he thought I was a tourist and apologies and drove off 

Edited by Davai
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/1/2018 at 9:13 PM, Jingthing said:

Running total. 

5 accepted

1 not accepted

It just confirms my impression that before you reach the roundabout they will accept 10 baht most of the times . 

It just confirms my impression that before you reach the roundabout they will accept 10 baht most of the times . 

Fair assumption. What I can say definitively is that once you pass just after Klang the odds of pushback go over the approximately 1 percent before then. It's fair to pay the 10 after that but be very ready to cave to pushback. People risk violent assault otherwise.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, this test for me has been completed.

90 percent acceptance of 10 baht from Jomtien to North Pattaya well past Pattaya Klang.

Based on this I strongly suggest people pay 10 baht for such rides, not 20 with a high degree of confidence.

Just be prepared to pay 20 if there is any pushback.

Now there is another question I have much less confidence about.

Specifically rides from Jomtien all the way to North Pattaya Road (which is going to be a very popular ride once Terminal 21 mall is open).

I'm pretty sure the pushback for 10 baht payments will be higher, maybe significantly higher for such rides.

I'd like to ask people to start reporting about those rides only now.

Conditionally -- when you don't ask about fares, just pay the 10 baht, and is it accepted or not?

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

OK, this test for me has been completed.

90 percent acceptance of 10 baht from Jomtien to North Pattaya well past Pattaya Klang.

Based on this I strongly suggest people pay 10 baht for such rides, not 20 with a high degree of confidence.

Just be prepared to pay 20 if there is any pushback.

Now there is another question I have much less confidence about.

Specifically rides from Jomtien all the way to North Pattaya Road (which is going to be a very popular ride once Terminal 21 mall is open).

I'm pretty sure the pushback for 10 baht payments will be higher, maybe significantly higher for such rides.

I'd like to ask people to start reporting about those rides only now.

Conditionally -- when you don't ask about fares, just pay the 10 baht, and is it accepted or not?

Vindicated! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've got an update to this.

It was the expressed opinion of others (and myself) that although it is now CONFIRMED that the fare of TEN BAHT is generally/usually accepted for rides from Jomtien to North Pattaya much further than Pattaya Klang, the chances of pushback would increase if going all the way to North Pattaya Road (and even further well into Naklua when they go there).

Well, since the opening of Terminal 21 Mall I've done lots of rides from Jomtien to Terminal 21 Mall which is almost the same ride as going to North Pattaya Road.

I've offered 10 baht every time.

It's been accepted every time.

Not even a hint of pushback.

HOWEVER, that's not the same thing as giving a larger bill and asking for change. I still assume if you paid 20 for that ride and asked for 10 baht change there would be pushback from at least some drivers. (In other words, refusing to give change.)

There also still may be occasional pushback from some drivers paying exact change, but based on my recent experience, I can confidently say they would be rare outliers, and the correct fare would still be 10 baht. (But I don't suggest fighting the rare cases of pushback, it's not worth the risk of being violently assaulted.)

Still seeing people that should know better speaking on the buses and spreading the totally false information that the fare goes from 10 to 20 upon crossing South Pattaya Road coming from Jomtien. It's not even worth trying to correct such people. They won't believe it.

Edited by Jingthing