Road rage leads to two deaths in Nakhon Si Thammarat accident

webfact

Road rage leads to two deaths in accident

By The Nation

A road rage incident that stemmed from a refusal to yield way led to an accident in Nakhon Si Thammarat’s Muang district late on Tuesday night, killing two people and severely injuring another.

Police were alerted to the accident at 10pm on the Karome road at the u-turn spot in front of the Nakhon Vocational School.

At the scene, they found an Isuzu pickup truck had crashed into a bus stop and a power pole, with the driver and two passengers trapped inside.

The driver was dead behind the wheel. One passenger, Pattamawadee Kongwang, 18, died in hospital and another, Suwadee Khampeng, 18, was severely injured.

Police found another damaged pickup at the scene. The driver, Anuwat Pongthongmuang, 22, and his girlfriend were not injured.

Anuwat told police that he was driving his girlfriend home when the Isuzu pickup tried to overtake him, but he refused to give way and sped up.

Anuwat said the Isuzu also picked up speed and started to overtake him even though he was driving at at least 100 kilometres per hour.

Anuwat said when he was approaching the u-turn, he saw a motorcycle with a sidecar was about to cut in, so he braked. However, his pickup swerved to the right and hit the back of the Isuzu pickup, causing it to plunge to the left and hit the bus stop and power pole.

Anuwat was arrested on a charge of reckless driving causing deaths and injuries.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30332768

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-11-29

1 hour ago, marko kok prong said:

Fools, but many times i have had often flash mercs or bmws come roaring up behind flashing their light's it's better just to move over,never get involved in road rage here.

It's quite common in Europe, for a following car to flash their lights to let you know they're going to overtake.   

I wouldn't dare try it in Thailand, with their super-short fuses.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Anuwat told police that he was driving his girlfriend home when the Isuzu pickup tried to overtake him, but he refused to give way and sped up.

"refused to give way"

He didn't need to "give way". The other vehicle was over taking him.

He purposefully sped up so that it couldn't.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Anuwat said the Isuzu also picked up speed and started to overtake him even though he was driving at at least 100 kilometres per hour.

Anuwat said when he was approaching the u-turn, he saw a motorcycle with a sidecar was about to cut in, so he braked. However, his pickup swerved to the right and hit the back of the Isuzu pickup, causing it to plunge to the left and hit the bus stop and power pole.

BS.

He was losing the 'race' in front of his girlfriend, so as the other pick-up was in the lead, he purposefully bumped into the back side panel to make it lose control as it was nearly past him.

I'm guessing the phantom "motorcycle with sidecar" was never found....

It really does sadden me to keep reading about these moronic drivers...yes I know, if I don't like then don't read it. But that's not what I mean; more lives lost just because, well you know already. My condolences to  the family.

These kids that were driving were obviously way out of control. Why not just yield to the other driver? Why the need to keep up, and overcome? What is that? Where does that lack of self esteem come from? And astonishing sense of inferiority, a lack of manhood, no self esteem, one could speculate forever. 

I have been saying for a long time now, the youth of today are very scary people. They have little perspective on anything, and it seems that most parents worldwide, have lost the art of parenting. The very fact that this kid would act like this is proof, that his mother and father have been absent on the job. I am very, very fortunate to not have children. But, if I had them, I would be very strict. Children need boundaries, much like pets. They will test you, to determine where the limits are, and will try to find how far they can push you. These days parents are so hung up on trying to be "friends" with their kids, they hesitate to show them the limits. I see that everywhere I go these days. Here in Thailand it is very pronounced. I hear it is worse in China, where the parents spoil their kids rotten. It is very bad in the US. If I were in the position of this mother, when we got home, he would be locked in his room for a week. No school, no play, no TV, no devices, no screens, 2 meals a day, some water, and a bucket for elimination. With a padlock on the outside of the door. He would learn very quickly where his limits were. And my guess it that he would straighten out. Please, no lectures on parent cruelty. I am NOT a believer in political correctness. On any level. Kids are kids. Parents are parents. They owed it to these kids to teach them something, about basic values. Anything.

And why are these drivers speeding in the first place? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

52 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

These kids that were driving were obviously way out of control. Why not just yield to the other driver? Why the need to keep up, and overcome? What is that? Where does that lack of self esteem come from? And astonishing sense of inferiority, a lack of manhood, no self esteem, one could speculate forever. 

I have been saying for a long time now, the youth of today are very scary people. They have little perspective on anything, and it seems that most parents worldwide, have lost the art of parenting. The very fact that this kid would act like this is proof, that his mother and father have been absent on the job. I am very, very fortunate to not have children. But, if I had them, I would be very strict. Children need boundaries, much like pets. They will test you, to determine where the limits are, and will try to find how far they can push you. These days parents are so hung up on trying to be "friends" with their kids, they hesitate to show them the limits. I see that everywhere I go these days. Here in Thailand it is very pronounced. I hear it is worse in China, where the parents spoil their kids rotten. It is very bad in the US. If I were in the position of this mother, when we got home, he would be locked in his room for a week. No school, no play, no TV, no devices, no screens, 2 meals a day, some water, and a bucket for elimination. With a padlock on the outside of the door. He would learn very quickly where his limits were. And my guess it that he would straighten out. Please, no lectures on parent cruelty. I am NOT a believer in political correctness. On any level. Kids are kids. Parents are parents. They owed it to these kids to teach them something, about basic values. Anything.

And why are these drivers speeding in the first place? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government (weak Little P.) and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

When I was growing up, we took drivers education classes. They showed us these horrendous films, of semi trucks crashing into cars, and literally obliterating them, and everything inside. Also, they showed very graphic images of head on collisions. Even as a young kid, it left a lasting impression, and I realized driving was no joking matter. Especially when you have your friends, or loved ones in the car with you. I am constantly astonished at the kinds of chances people take here, with their entire family in the car with them. Why? What is the logic? What is the reason? Why take those risks? Often, when someone cuts onto the highway in front of me, as I am doing 100kpm or more on the highway, I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me for quite some distance. Which means, had they paused, and waited 2 or 3 seconds, there would have been zero risk to them, their family, or me and my family. What can one even say? All of this matters even more when driving a motorbike, where there is no protection. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law. 

I'm sorry but several years back the United Nations gave children rights and that removed all discipline not only in the schools but also in the family home which meant that if the mother or father raised their voice to discipline the child, the child could lodge a complaint against their parents and it would end up in a court battle. I know of cases where the children won cases and were divorced from the family only to end up dead on the streets from drugs, but as far as I know the UN's children's laws still exist 

What's really been eating at me and seeing more and more of is these morons passing directly into oncoming traffic. They sometimes flash their lights I quess to notify people driving in their correct lane to brake and get in the shoulder. Regardless if there's motorcycles there, or no shoulder at all.

Don't think you're immune to this shit on blind corners. I'm seeing more of these idiots there also. 

Stay safe.

4 minutes ago, connda said:

Reckless driving after the fact.  Hey Thailand.  Have you considered putting cops in patrol cars and pulling these idiots over before they kill people???

They would require someone to get off their ass aaaaarrrrrrr forget it because it will never happen they just stick their head in the sand and sit on their brains

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Same as driving anywhere in the world, western countries are a lot worse. lots of Mr Ma Goos, i have lived here 23 years, no problem, in western countries been run over by idiots, so why people like to bash Thais, if it is so bad go home

18 minutes ago, 1sickpuppy said:

Same as driving anywhere in the world, western countries are a lot worse. lots of Mr Ma Goos, i have lived here 23 years, no problem, in western countries been run over by idiots, so why people like to bash Thais, if it is so bad go home

Oh no, not that old chestnut again.  "If you don't like it, go home".  It is such an infantile response to any poster's criticism and indicates an absence of any reasonable and informed reply.  

I have driven in Europe for 50 years and I can assure you that driving standards in western countries are infinitely better and the roads much safer than in Thailand.  But then Europe does have proper driving tests and  proper police forces which actually enforce the traffic laws. As a result, road accidents and deaths are a fraction of Thailand's, which are horrific and an absolute disgrace.

11 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Fools, but many times i have had often flash mercs or bmws come roaring up behind flashing their light's it's better just to move over,never get involved in road rage here.

That probably means that the driver actually took a driving test. 

I had the pleasure of sitting through the LTD's driving test video yesterday which specifically tells drivers who are planning on overtaking to flash their headlights twice at the car in front "so that that driver knows what you plan to do"!

4 hours ago, Russell17au said:

They would require someone to get off their ass aaaaarrrrrrr forget it because it will never happen they just stick their head in the sand and sit on their brains

It's not because of that, it's because the police are not given enough budget from the Government to provide patrol cars and the fuel to run them 24 hour a day.

10 hours ago, Just Weird said:

It's not because of that, it's because the police are not given enough budget from the Government to provide patrol cars and the fuel to run them 24 hour a day.

I wasn't talking about the police in this instance I was talking about the ostrich's in Bangkok that are surpossed to be running (ruining) this country

16 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I'm sorry but several years back the United Nations gave children rights and that removed all discipline not only in the schools but also in the family home which meant that if the mother or father raised their voice to discipline the child, the child could lodge a complaint against their parents and it would end up in a court battle. I know of cases where the children won cases and were divorced from the family only to end up dead on the streets from drugs, but as far as I know the UN's children's laws still exist 

Sometimes in life, you just have to say no to ridiculousness. To petty political correctness, that is out of touch with reality. To surly, stupid, dumb, politics. Children must be disciplined. Whatever it takes, and regardless of which inane institutions tell you otherwise. Period. End of story. 

11 hours ago, 1sickpuppy said:

A very lame reply. Is that really the best you can do? Is that all you got? Thailand is number one in road deaths for several reasons. Do you honestly consider that bashing the country, when a discussion as important as this one is raised?

Nearly every time I see someone complaining, or observing a shortfall within Thailand, some lame guy, who has not taken the time to think things through, nor to devote any focus or effort to a reasonable reply, says something like "Perhaps Thailand is not for you", or maybe you should leave, or the top prize, "if you do not like it here, go back to your own country". Hard to even respond to such inane statements. Why? Because I have some issues with the place? Sorry to inform you, but the nature of a discerning mind, is to have issues. Though absolute contentment must be a beautiful state of mind, it is not something most of us are blessed with, in case you have not noticed. The fact that I complain, does not mean I do not love Thailand, nor most of it's people. I do. I love my life here. I have a very good life here. But, I do have some complaints, and there are some things I would love to see improved. I should leave because of that? Please. Next time you make a post, try to devote at least two moments of thought to it. 

17 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Sometimes in life, you just have to say no to ridiculousness. To petty political correctness, that is out of touch with reality. To surly, stupid, dumb, politics. Children must be disciplined. Whatever it takes, and regardless of which inane institutions tell you otherwise. Period. End of story. 

Facts are that some governments abide by the United Nations and many lawyers are employed by these organizations and the law now states that you cannot physically punish your child and even if you raise your voice at them now it is classed as child abuse and you will be charged and possibly go to prison but the child can apply for a divorce from the family and they can get it. Many children have done this all over the world and many have died from drug overdose and gotten into prostitution. So it is not petty political correctness as you claim it is the real facts of life and how the world has changed from when you and I were children so you better get used to it. Period. End of story

28 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Facts are that some governments abide by the United Nations and many lawyers are employed by these organizations and the law now states that you cannot physically punish your child and even if you raise your voice at them now it is classed as child abuse and you will be charged and possibly go to prison but the child can apply for a divorce from the family and they can get it. Many children have done this all over the world and many have died from drug overdose and gotten into prostitution. So it is not petty political correctness as you claim it is the real facts of life and how the world has changed from when you and I were children so you better get used to it. Period. End of story

My guess is that none of that nonsense applies to raising a child in Thailand. No laws seem to apply to Thailand and even if they do, they do not seem enforceable. So, who cares?