Extension at Jomtien Immigration not so simple

Wallander4

Went to get extension based on marriage for second time here in Jomtien - done it earlier in Chiang Mai multiple times.

We thought we had done okay with all the copies, drawings of map to our home / Immigration, 4 pics of us in front of condo, living room, bedroom and entrance door with condo number but once again they managed to surprise and disappoint us.

We had to furthermore get the following:

Pics from a different angle .... yeah we wonder too about this weird request

Sales documents regarding the condo from the owner

Witness - Officer explained that since we don't have children we will need a witness at every extension

Anyone can confirm these requests or do they make this s... up as they go ?

We had a witness last year and was told that it was just the first time of extension in Jomtien we needed a witness - seems like that was not true.

We have been married 5 years

I have had Marriage extensions for many many many years, and other than the very first year, have always had the easiest of times. Approximately 30 minutes, and then the 30 day wait.

But the last 2 times of extensions I did have to produce the 'House Purchase documents' where I live, but that was the only extra.

I gave them 2 photos (one inside, one outside). Also I have children so no need of the witness (which is apparently mandatory these days, unless they know you).

Hope this helps.

They wanted a "witness"  for my first extension..then second year not needed but third and all years after a "witness" required again

(because no children)

I normally give them about 6 photos  and they choose the ones they like...of course there is always another  "something" to photocopy

I don't argue any more just go out to the next door photocopy company and get whatever they want  :sad:

12 hours ago, thainet said:

I have had Marriage extensions for many many many years, and other than the very first year, have always had the easiest of times. Approximately 30 minutes, and then the 30 day wait.

But the last 2 times of extensions I did have to produce the 'House Purchase documents' where I live, but that was the only extra.

I gave them 2 photos (one inside, one outside). Also I have children so no need of the witness (which is apparently mandatory these days, unless they know you).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for info thainet - most weird is their request to get pics from other angles, wonder whats next of stupid requests

6 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Yes why bother with all that. Just get an extension based on the 800k/65k a month, easy.

You're right Henryford, could do that but have a feeling that some new bs will emerge about retirement visa so I stick to my marriage extension ... after all we are married so why the harassment but I guess they don't want us here - maybe decide just to leave for homecountry with wife if it gets too weird here with their demands

46 minutes ago, Wallander4 said:

You're right Henryford, could do that but have a feeling that some new bs will emerge about retirement visa so I stick to my marriage extension ... after all we are married so why the harassment but I guess they don't want us here - maybe decide just to leave for homecountry with wife if it gets too weird here with their demands

Been here 8 years, use the 800K in the bank for the extension, no harassment, no dramas, easy peasy.

13 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

Petty people with petty laws, enjoy making life difficult for foreigners whenever they can

Rubbish! Never had a problem with immigration in 8 years. Try staying in Australia indefinitely (foreigner) and see how many hoops you have to jump through.

Edited by giddyup

1 hour ago, Jonnapat said:

Petty people with petty laws, enjoy making life difficult for foreigners whenever they can

EXACTLY!!!   That is the ONLY reason for this dog and pony show. Thai xenophobia is a marvel to behold. The ONLY advantage to the marriage route is the possibility of working. That would be the only reason I would ever choose this option. Fortunately, I never plan to work again. I basically came here to be cremated. My plans have not changed.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Been here 8 years, use the 800K in the bank for the extension, no harassment, no dramas, easy peasy.

Agreed!

Just got my retirement extension at Jomtien yesterday using the income statement.  Follow their guidelines and it’s not a problem,

I cannot see how some people make the experience more difficult than it has to be.

17 minutes ago, Jools said:

EXACTLY!!!   That is the ONLY reason for this dog and pony show. Thai xenophobia is a marvel to behold. The ONLY advantage to the marriage route is the possibility of working. That would be the only reason I would ever choose this option. Fortunately, I never plan to work again. I basically came here to be cremated. My plans have not changed.

You should consider yourself lucky that you are allowed to live here, pretty much permanently, at all, with very little in the way of restrictions.

The woman at the Jomtien marriage extension desk caused alot of trouble for us, we went back a few times and finally gave up, she was yelling at my wife and refused to speak english with me.  The main holdup was that I lived in a hotel (for 8 years) and couldn't produce the id card and chanote of the hotel owner.  We moved to Buriram and got the extension first try.  

6 hours ago, Henryford said:

Yes why bother with all that. Just get an extension based on the 800k/65k a month, easy.

You'd have to weigh it up against the cost and time of going to the Embassy in Bangkok to get an income letter. Getting a witness and a few photos doesn't seem all that hard by comparison.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

Rubbish! Never had a problem with immigration in 8 years. Try staying in Australia indefinitely (foreigner) and see how many hoops you have to jump through.

That's not a good comparison. With permanent residence in Australia comes a lot of benefits at the taxpayer's expense. It's understandable you'd have to jump through many hoops. 

That the Thais don't want us here is one interpretation of the cumbersome and frustrating procedures required by immigration but not the only one. I well remember the excessive paperwork required by the US Army when I was a soldier.

42 minutes ago, tropo said:

That's not a good comparison. With permanent residence in Australia comes a lot of benefits at the taxpayer's expense. It's understandable you'd have to jump through many hoops. 

I'm not talking permanent residence, you don't have permanent residence in Thailand either, just an extension of stay. Try getting the same in Australia.

54 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'm not talking permanent residence, you don't have permanent residence in Thailand either, just an extension of stay. Try getting the same in Australia.

What are you talking about then?

Here we're talking about living in Thailand with a Thai spouse permanently on yearly marriage extensions of stay. There is no such equivalent in Australia.

If a Thai lady is living with her husband in Australia, she will get permanent residence and not too long after that, a passport and citizenship. If a Thai man (or any other nationality) is living with his Australian wife in Australia - same, same. It's much better and easier than what the OP is going through here. Also, rude staff will not be tolerated in Australian Immigration offices. They have accountability and you have somewhere to report bad behaviour.

Edited by tropo

24 minutes ago, tropo said:

There is no such equivalent in Australia.

Exactly. So be thankful that Thailand does, and generally speaking obtaining an extension is trouble-free. When I hear these whingers complaining that Thai immigration goes out of their way to make life difficult for people to live here, I call BS. In fact of all the falangs I know who live here I have never heard one complain about having a problem renewing their extension.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

If a Thai lady is living with her husband in Australia, she will get permanent residence and not too long after that, a passport and citizenship.

How long does that take, and what about all the hoops the guy has to jump through to even get his Thai wife there in the first place?

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

How long does that take, and what about all the hoops the guy has to jump through to even get his Thai wife there in the first place?

It runs about $6,000-$8,000 and takes 12-18 months.

Edited by Peterw42

3 hours ago, tropo said:

You'd have to weigh it up against the cost and time of going to the Embassy in Bangkok to get an income letter. Getting a witness and a few photos doesn't seem all that hard by comparison.

With embassy outreach it's very easy to get the income affidavit notarized. It's about sixty bucks on top of another sixty bucks for the extension. It's a ridiculous hassle, but very easy. The requirements for the marriage extension are just harassment, plain and simple. You're helping a Thai citizen in the best way possible and you're being penalized for it. Just more evidence of xenophobia, a Thai character trait.

1 hour ago, Jools said:

With embassy outreach it's very easy to get the income affidavit notarized. It's about sixty bucks on top of another sixty bucks for the extension. It's a ridiculous hassle, but very easy. The requirements for the marriage extension are just harassment, plain and simple. You're helping a Thai citizen in the best way possible and you're being penalized for it. Just more evidence of xenophobia, a Thai character trait.

As an Australian, I don't have an outreach option, so it's a 5-hour return trip to Bangkok on a bus and AUD $70. If I was married I'd swallow my pride instead of converting to a retirement extension. Apart from your hurt pride, it's cheaper and quicker once you know exactly what they need. I would have thought that anyone who has been dealing with Immigration here for any number of years would have thick skin.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I know people who have done it rather quickly, although I haven't tried it myself yet. It's definitely better than the lousy marriage extension nonsense here. Offering permanent residence and citizenship to spouses with all the perks included puts is it WAY ahead of Thailand and it's worth the initial "hoops" to start the process. The OP is married to a Thai person, supporting a Thai person and probably her family, yet he is being treated like an intruder. He's even means tested and they have no qualms about separating family if he doesn't have a certain level of income. It's disgusting treatment IMO. The family unit means nothing here - it's all about money.

Contrast just over the sea in the Philippines. Automatic one year stamp when I enter with my wife. No questions asked. They don't care if I'm broke. The stamp is usually accompanied by a big friendly smile and "welcome".  LOS in Thailand. LOL.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Exactly. So be thankful that Thailand does, and generally speaking obtaining an extension is trouble-free. When I hear these whingers complaining that Thai immigration goes out of their way to make life difficult for people to live here, I call BS. In fact of all the falangs I know who live here I have never heard one complain about having a problem renewing their extension.

What extension are you on? I'm on a retirement extension and it has been easy so far, but the OP is married and the way they are treating him is definitely not nice. If you haven't heard similar stories on here over the years, then you haven't been paying attention. Calling bs on a report because you don't believe it is bs too.

24 minutes ago, tropo said:

As an Australian, I don't have an outreach option, so it's a 5-hour return trip to Bangkok on a bus and AUD $70. If I was married I'd swallow my pride instead of converting to a retirement extension. Apart from your hurt pride, it's cheaper and quicker once you know exactly what they need. I would have thought that anyone who has been dealing with Immigration here for any number of years would have thick skin.

I should have known that not all embassies would have the options that we Yanks do. Since Australia is a much more progressive country than the USA, I must admit I am surprised that they don't have the same outreach options that we do. Thick skin is beside the point. Retirees are a huge benefit to the economy. We are treated as a burden on the state or a possible sinister, alien element in Thai society. There is no rational reason for the xenophobic paranoia of Thai immigration.

14 minutes ago, tropo said:

The OP is married to a Thai person, supporting a Thai person and probably her family, yet he is being treated like an intruder. He's even means tested and they have no qualms about separating family if he doesn't have a certain level of income. It's disgusting treatment IMO. The family unit means nothing here - it's all about money.

Contrast just over the sea in the Philippines. Automatic one year stamp when I enter with my wife. No questions asked. They don't care if I'm broke. The stamp is usually accompanied by a big friendly smile and "welcome".  LOS in Thailand. LOL.

Yep.....your comment is spot on. Philippines is ahead of the game on immigration but Thailand has the attitude that they offer the best deal so you can sod off back to your own country if you don't like it. It is unlikely to change without a serious and extended downturn in the economy. Possibly not even then. Stubborn pride and paranoia rule the roost here.

18 minutes ago, Jools said:

Yep.....your comment is spot on. Philippines is ahead of the game on immigration but Thailand has the attitude that they offer the best deal so you can sod off back to your own country if you don't like it. It is unlikely to change without a serious and extended downturn in the economy. Possibly not even then. Stubborn pride and paranoia rule the roost here.

Absolutely right. Nothing is going to change. We know that and often this forum is just a way for disgruntled members to let off some steam. I'm just happy that I'm not here on a marriage extension as the way they are treated would leave a sour taste in the mouth. I'm kind of reacting to certain members who suggest there are no problems and everything is honkey dory... until some new regulation starts interfering with their own type of visa. I agree with another member who suggested that you're better off staying on the marriage extension as sooner or later they will bring in some new regulation to make retirement extensions much harder.