Amazing Pattaya - the roads and sidewalks are just an embarrassment

webfact

Amazing Pattaya - the roads and sidewalks are just an embarrassment

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable

Sophon Cable TV posted that nothing had been done about the dangerous state of the road in a popular tourist area - Soi Bua Khao.

They said following posts they had made on their Facebook site in November nothing had been done about holes with metal spikes protruding at the entrance to Soi New Plaza.

They got some tourists to points out the danger saying that a tragedy would soon occur if nothing was done.

Sophon bemoaned the state of the resort's roads and sidewalks ironically calling it "Amazing Pattaya".

They said there were many problems of this nature around the city.

But referencing this particular case they said - noting a Thai proverb - that the authorities must not lock the cow pen after the animals have departed.

They spoke of such dangers being bad for Pattaya as a "resort of international standing".

Many posters on the Facebook page lampooned this notion noting that such problems were a total embarrassment.

Some suggested that the authorities in charge these days were a joke.

Source: Sophon Cable

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-04

Probably one of the best bits of pavement is up Soi 2 from Beach Road. It is outside the A One hotel and has clearly been built by them. Further along, past A One there is nothing. 

Leave the public sector a free hand to build and repair roads and pavements and you get the current poor standards. If the private sector could be prominently involved, I believe quality would improve. How to reach that state of play? There's the rub.

Edited by champers
Spellink errur

22 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

herewego.jpg.4fbcbcca1e0bc789c0eda7846470d455.jpg

Yes indeed folks! It's the annual, "Rainy season is over so why haven't they started filling in the potholes yet?!" thread of righteous indignation, unqualified postulation and senseless suggestions.

Fill yer boots!

Edited by NanLaew
pre-emptive grammar nazi strike

I agree many of the so called pavements are in a bad state but so also are many of the roads and if the authorities do not stop all the coaches coming through Pattaya very soon all of the roads will be wrecked. a typical example is the juction between South Pattaya Road & Third Road, the surface at this major junction (X-Road) is disgraceful and extremely dangerous for motorcyclists negotiating the very uneven surface. The roads in Pattaya are not built to take the heavy coach traffic we are  now experiencing more & more.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

There are no sidewalks on Soi Buakhao; never has been.

Fake news!

Look again. There are sidewalks, but they have been occupied by the businesses behind them, in some cases even building walls between properties.

Before the "authorities" get knicker twisted about buildings on Walking St there is a whole lot more pressing business to take care of EVERYWHERE in Pattaya.

Just now, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I have always found miserable, broken, potholed, rock-strewn, dusty Soi Chaiyaphum a total mystery. It's been lousy like this for maybe a decade. Is there someone on that street the city authorities don't like? 

Seems that it's a private street and has no maintenance agreement with the city. One of our insiders might cough up a few more details.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Look again. There are sidewalks, but they have been occupied by the businesses behind them, in some cases even building walls between properties.

Before the "authorities" get knicker twisted about buildings on Walking St there is a whole lot more pressing business to take care of EVERYWHERE in Pattaya.

It,s the same story on Soi 13/4, where many of the businesses have built right out over the sidewalks, sometimes even making it their own private space.

It would be nice if, as they do the Pattayaland street renewal project, they made everyone cut back to the original kerb, and in addition remove whatever they

have erected to completely block the sidewalk ! Wishful thinking, it ain,t gonna happen :(

The truly astonishing part of this, is that the city of Pattaya has billions and billions of baht to work with. They are earning a fortune. So, they are neglecting the roads by choice. Why? Why do you think? Profit. When a city is run like a business, with the ones at the top earning a fortune, this is the result. Disaster with impunity. 

3 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

I agree many of the so called pavements are in a bad state but so also are many of the roads and if the authorities do not stop all the coaches coming through Pattaya very soon all of the roads will be wrecked. a typical example is the juction between South Pattaya Road & Third Road, the surface at this major junction (X-Road) is disgraceful and extremely dangerous for motorcyclists negotiating the very uneven surface. The roads in Pattaya are not built to take the heavy coach traffic we are  now experiencing more & more.

Simple Thai logic when the tourist numbers stop or decrease so will the coaches. That makes sense! Dah! Fix the roads!

I agree Spidermike,

Pattaya should be one of the richest councils in the world along with Phuket & Hua Hin.

One of two things here, some people are shunting away biillions off the top & (or) the whole 

council is rotten through & through or so badly managed that the whole lot should be fired & start again.

I suspect a bit of all the above is going on

9 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Seems that it's a private street and has no maintenance agreement with the city. One of our insiders might cough up a few more details.

Yes indeed a privately owned road......:thumbsup:

2 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Silly me there was I thinking it was one of the worlds best tourist resorts

Or maybe you were being silly by typing in a stereotypical snide exaggeration we could do without.

and now you say its dangerous, make your mind up please as I have to book my winter escape. This January it going to have to be Syria as it looks to dangerous here.

You have entirely the wrong idea. This is merely another reason for you and other tourists to book your escape to Pattaya.

THE impressive holes in Britain’s road have become a draw for foreign tourists.

Thousands of overseas visitors are coming to marvel at the country’s moon-like road surfaces, with a 2.6m pothole dubbed ‘Gladstone’ proving the main draw.

34-year-old American Tom Logan said: “I love the English eccentricity of your roads. They’re just so…quaintly post-apocalyptic.

“Driving around you get constantly jolted, it’s like being on a rollercoaster or maybe another less thrilling ride that mainly just hurts your buttocks.”

Other popular potholes include 2.4m ‘Smokey Joe’ in Wiltshire and a cluster of smaller holes dubbed ‘Johnson’s Archipelago’ on a B road near Birmingham.

—Britain's potholes now a tourist attraction

Edited by JSixpack

9 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

I agree many of the so called pavements are in a bad state but so also are many of the roads and if the authorities do not stop all the coaches coming through Pattaya very soon all of the roads will be wrecked.

You've failed to draw the inevitable conclusion: the death of Pattaya tourism as the quality tourists all go elsewhere, like to the paradise of Cambodia. Pattaya then becomes just a ghost town of bleached ruins and the Thais who once worked here return to rice fields. Heh heh. The fact that Pattaya has always had clean, beautiful, perfectly even streets with no potholes has always been a main attraction.

a typical example is the juction between South Pattaya Road & Third Road, the surface at this major junction (X-Road) is disgraceful and extremely dangerous for motorcyclists negotiating the very uneven surface. The roads in Pattaya are not built to take the heavy coach traffic we are  now experiencing more & more.

Well, the authorities are probably discouraged by the loud chorus of sneers from TVF posters whenever they dare start to resurface a road. Our ace road engineers, many of whom were Tunnel Flooders until it (cough) didn't flood, all pile in to mansplain how it's being done all wrong, how they aren't going to bring the drains level with surface and so wheels will be damaged and fall off, first rainstorm it'll all wash away, blah blah. So now they've decided enough is enough.

Edited by JSixpack

Hold on. This is all part of the new TAT concept concerning Pattaya: Out with the sex-workers, in with "adventure/sports" Tourism!
Among other things, NEEDING a 4x4 vehicle to get from A to B in Pattaya is just part of the new "adventure-tourism-concept".  Prepare !

On a more serious note: There are "Negatives" in Pattaya. No argument. But those "imperfections" do not seem to deter tourists to come back and many expats still staying here.
Singapore is "perfect" (sterile?). A place to go shopping and do business. But never have I met anyone claiming that they have spent their annual holidays for the last 10 years in Singapore!
Cheers.

This is so much a fact of life there, and has been for such a long time, that I'm surprised anyone even takes the time to moan about it.   It's part of the landscape.   'Almost like they were designed that way, and one of those things you must "love or leave". 

Too true, had the misfortune to need to drive from well north of Pattaya into town and on to Jomtiem then back again yesterday and my neck is hurting now. Pot holes and bumps everywhere, I probably need to buy some of those boxer's gum shields. Klang was stationary due to a huge coach stopped in the middle of the road and others trying to turn into some side road barely wider than they were.

I tried the railway line bypass on the way back and the condition of that heading North from Khao Talo to Soi Siam CC is atrocious. Heavy vehicles are churning them up....