Notification of Address- Phuket Town

Psimbo

I went in earlier this week and the place was very busy - long queue for the helpers..

I needed the immigration office letter to buy a vehicle but found out I needed to re-register my place of residence. The helper gave me TWO place of residency forms and no purchase letter form.

I went back in yesterday and it was packed again but only had to queue for a number for 5 minutes.

A different helper took only ONE of my place of residency forms and associated copies - plus the purchase letter form which I had filled out (just in case).

I had to wait 2 minutes to get called and then a couple more to get a letter for a vehicle purchase.

So, paperwork required for this was: Immigration form for place of residency, copy of lease, copy of landlady ID, copy of passport, landing card and visa and one photo, plus the form for the purchase letter.

Reason for having all of this was because I'd been out of the country since first reporting my address - even though I'd since renewed my Retirement and multi-entry permits. They did not give me a new piece of paper in the passport, though, just leaving the old one where it was.

Now I'm wondering if that actually counted as a re-register of place of abode and if I will need all of these copies again for my 90 day report later this month.

4 hours ago, lowprofile said:

I went in earlier this week and the place was very busy - long queue for the helpers..

I needed the immigration office letter to buy a vehicle but found out I needed to re-register my place of residence. The helper gave me TWO place of residency forms and no purchase letter form.

I went back in yesterday and it was packed again but only had to queue for a number for 5 minutes.

A different helper took only ONE of my place of residency forms and associated copies - plus the purchase letter form which I had filled out (just in case).

I had to wait 2 minutes to get called and then a couple more to get a letter for a vehicle purchase.

So, paperwork required for this was: Immigration form for place of residency, copy of lease, copy of landlady ID, copy of passport, landing card and visa and one photo, plus the form for the purchase letter.

Reason for having all of this was because I'd been out of the country since first reporting my address - even though I'd since renewed my Retirement and multi-entry permits. They did not give me a new piece of paper in the passport, though, just leaving the old one where it was.

Now I'm wondering if that actually counted as a re-register of place of abode and if I will need all of these copies again for my 90 day report later this month.

For my 90-day reporting done in Nov2017, no document was required.  Just get a queue number and show your passport to the IO.

On 1/12/2018 at 12:12 PM, keithpa said:

For some reason I can't get rid of the above. The Vol wasn't overly busy when I was in this afternoon so I asked just to confirm if we have to re-notify address if only away for a couple of days WITHIN Thailand and returning to the same address.

The answer was yes and you need the whole bundle of house papers, lease and passport details- he has a little chit available with it all written down. 

So for a four day trip away  I have to kill a tree and waste time travelling to Phuket Town . It takes longer to do than a 90 day report and is completely useless. Still no word on an online option for address notification.

I don't get het up about 90 day reports but this on top is getting ridiculous. What will they come up with next?

On 1/12/2018 at 10:37 AM, lowprofile said:

I did a Cert of Res today to update my DL- got to the LTO and they had spelt my middle name wrong AND got the address wrong. Serves me right for not checking before leaving Imm. LTO lady got all bent out of shape when I tried to explain but that's for a different thread.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 12:12 PM, keithpa said:

Hire an agent. For the sake of , how much, 100, 200$, why go through all the hassel. Life is to short.

I chose Thailand to retire in as it's cheap (allegedly.) But If I'm putting out 100 $ USD everytime I have to make a TM- 30 or 90 day or  extend permission  or get a RC   etc etc etc,  it adds up to no longer being a cheap place to live. 

If I  were rich,  I sure would not be in this nation.

As about 95 percent of the people in the other thread are not affected by the current issues in anyway shape or form lets hope we can keep this one specific to LOCAL people affected by the current chaos. I can't be bothers wading through pages of ill-informed BS and opinion.

Has anyone seen a standard form that shows that a self-reporter has the permission of the landlord to do it, as mentioned by the Col in his interview? Last time I self-reported there was no need for it.

This may be the next stunt that they pull. I am already on record as being at this address so, along with the requirement not to take the house papers is this applicable? Maybe Merjin can comment. 

I asked at my hotel in Pattaya yesterday if he registered his guests or not- the reply was no. I'm tempted to take a chance and not re-report but TiT- I hate raising my head above the radar.

11 hours ago, Psimbo said:

As about 95 percent of the people in the other thread are not affected by the current issues in anyway shape or form lets hope we can keep this one specific to LOCAL people affected by the current chaos. I can't be bothers wading through pages of ill-informed BS and opinion.

Has anyone seen a standard form that shows that a self-reporter has the permission of the landlord to do it, as mentioned by the Col in his interview? Last time I self-reported there was no need for it.

This may be the next stunt that they pull. I am already on record as being at this address so, along with the requirement not to take the house papers is this applicable? Maybe Merjin can comment. 

I asked at my hotel in Pattaya yesterday if he registered his guests or not- the reply was no. I'm tempted to take a chance and not re-report but TiT- I hate raising my head above the radar.

I don't get off the Island much these days but I wouldn't be bothered re-registering in those circumstances. It's only a small fine if it ever gets to that.

The boss said this:

Col Kathathorn played down concerns for honest, law-abiding expats.

“Although it is the law, if it’s a short stay, for example a day or two, and nothing happens to prompt officials to check then there usually won’t be a problem,” 

If the hotel doesn't register its guests then you really are wasting your time re-reporting.

For that reason i use my DL when checking into a hotel and this is in all those years only one time refused which was in a hotel in central BKK next to the temple where the late King was laid down to rest. (which is in that case understandable)

Currently it is not required to have a new address registration when doing a new extension based on retirement as long you did not change address and the old address slip is in your passport. ( but the final decision is up to the officer)

Currently there is no standard form for the "power of attorney letter" and it is was until last week also not required.

But they can use this requirement as a stick to hit people with if they want to.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, madmitch said:

If the hotel doesn't register its guests then you really are wasting your time re-reporting.

That's the conclusion I have come to after reading all of the posts on it, and asking the IM official, and he did say that even if I went overseas, as long as I was at the sames address when I returned then reporting after arriving wasn't necessary (have never done it before anyway).

Then again, when I do my 90 day report in April, I will know for sure!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, madmitch said:

It's been suggested elsewhere that you talk then out of it by showing the current slip in your passport.

54 minutes ago, xylophone said:

That's the conclusion I have come to after reading all of the posts on it, and asking the IM official, and he did say that even if I went overseas, as long as I was at the sames address when I returned then reporting after arriving wasn't necessary (have never done it before anyway).

Then again, when I do my 90 day report in April, I will know for sure!

just do it online as i  did 2 weeks ago>>> no question concerning notification...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, merijn said:

For that reason i use my DL when checking into a hotel and this is in all those years only one time refused which was in a hotel in central BKK next to the temple where the late King was laid down to rest. (which is in that case understandable)

Currently it is not required to have a new address registration when doing a new extension based on retirement as long you did not change address and the old address slip is in your passport. ( but the final decision is up to the officer)

Currently there is no standard form for the "power of attorney letter" and it is was until last week also not required.

But they can use this requirement as a stick to hit people with if they want to.

Many thanks for that. I may play safe and re-report anyway.

On the DL thing that is what I do as well but they do check on occasion. On my last trip to Patts in Nov I was staying somewhere else. I was called down from my room to find 3 plain clothes Immigration officers waiting for me. They asked for the licence and passport. They thought i had a counterfeit licence as it turned out the LTO had spelt my name wrong the second time it appeared on the licence- something that I had never noticed. They accessed the LTO site on their smartphone and were able to see where the fault lay.  They were very amicable by the end but it was a bit scary at the time. They scrutinised my passport page by page as well. 

It turns down there was a bit of a crack down in Pattaya at the time. I now have an amended licence but we should still not assume that some places don't register us with Imm. I will stick to places that don't.

13 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

This poa  landlord signs, gives you permission to go to immigration on their behalf
at least this is the one i will use..

POA for notification of stay.jpeg

Thank for this information.

Hopefully i can get confirmation in a few days if this form is accepted by Phuket immigration .

• Like 1

To avoid all the input from Nakkon Nowhere and other fascinating locations around Thailand on this Phuket specific issue I wonder if we can clarify this report at a local level.

Unlike some I can't read Klingon and am not sure what is required in some of the boxes.

Once the report is submitted do they email a confirmation back?

If someone has the time maybe a line by line idiots guide could be provided to clarify some of the boxes and whether or not this is OK for self-reporting. 

http://www.phuketimmigration.go.th/notify/

Edited by Psimbo

I did my address notification in late 2016 when I last needed a residence certificate. The IO who was "selling" me the residence certificate got me to do it, told him my landlady was elderly with a disabled husband and I have not got a rental agreement he said just bring her id and house book it will be ok. So we got that and back the same day, but the IO doing the notification still wanted the landlady to come in, the residence cert IO overruled him though but he wasn't happy, did it but kept saying to us she needed to come in.

So if that POA form is accepted it should make things easier if its accepted?

I am on a multi entry visa so does that mean I should do a notification at immigration when I reenter even though I have not stayed away overnight and will have filled in a new arrival card? Next reentry will be later this week.

This will be my final stamp on this current non o multi, next time I am considering going for an extension. If I notify next week will they make me redo it again when I go for the extension 2 months later?

30 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Errr-- this IS about Phuket! it clearly states it in the linky (phuketimmigration).

Yes I know its a Phuket forum and the link is for Phuket Immigration...

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:54 PM, Psimbo said:

If someone has the time maybe a line by line idiots guide could be provided to clarify some of the boxes and whether or not this is OK for self-reporting. 

http://www.phuketimmigration.go.th/notify/

I am asking if that online notification can be used instead of doing the address notification in person, for a private house that is rented rather than a hotel/apartment etc. I would need to register though on behalf of the elderly owner (self reporting), isn't that the same thing you were asking?

Also has anyone used the POA form and had it accepted by Phuket immigration, (merijin in an earlier post said he was going to try it). Thanks.

8 hours ago, digital said:

Yes I know its a Phuket forum and the link is for Phuket Immigration...

I am asking if that online notification can be used instead of doing the address notification in person, for a private house that is rented rather than a hotel/apartment etc. I would need to register though on behalf of the elderly owner (self reporting), isn't that the same thing you were asking?

Also has anyone used the POA form and had it accepted by Phuket immigration, (merijin in an earlier post said he was going to try it). Thanks.

Sorry for the delay, I forgot to report back.

Yes it is accepted at Phuket immigration, As long it is signed correctly and the tax stamp is attached.

• Thanks 2

I am still none the wiser, however I would like to attempt to do my 90 day reporting online and the only link I have for doing this seems to be: extranet.immigration.go.th  and this doesn't work!

Another link I see posted here: http://www.phuketimmigration.go.th/notify/ sends me to something which is completely in Thai and from what I can gather from other posters, is really about the owner of a property registering something or another?

So how do I go about doing my 90 day report online............. please?

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

I am still none the wiser, however I would like to attempt to do my 90 day reporting online and the only link I have for doing this seems to be: extranet.immigration.go.th  and this doesn't work!

Another link I see posted here: http://www.phuketimmigration.go.th/notify/ sends me to something which is completely in Thai and from what I can gather from other posters, is really about the owner of a property registering something or another?

I could not get past the first page of online 90 day reporting. Might be because I have a brand new passport, Nipped into Patong with TM form and passport copies. Took about 5 minutes. 

Have to say that this small office now much better organised. Got rid of the L shaped desking, Now straight across room. Left side for 90 day. Right side for everything else. Young lady on guard at door checking applicants have filled out form and have photo copies. As I came prepared I just showed her my paperwork and I was granted entrance,    

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

tax stamps are 5 baht each ( need 2 ) i get mine from an agent that does migrant workers but the labor dept also has them.

Would think most lawyers can get them...

Tax offices and most book shops sell them.

21 hours ago, xylophone said:

It is for registering your address after you have been away.