credit card

I dont recommend you to get a credit card in thailand. As ı know they are only usable in country, in foreign countries it will be rejected because banks have strict restrictions on abroad using. Few years ago one of my friend who has a work permit, applied for credit card and they made him to sign all the papers including the life insurance which cost around 100.000THB. The banks may want to rip you off and you will not notice it because all the signed papers are in Thai language.

16 minutes ago, yengec said:

I dont recommend you to get a credit card in thailand. As ı know they are only usable in country, in foreign countries it will be rejected because banks have strict restrictions on abroad using. Few years ago one of my friend who has a work permit, applied for credit card and they made him to sign all the papers including the life insurance which cost around 100.000THB. The banks may want to rip you off and you will not notice it because all the signed papers are in Thai language.

No, I've used mine for purchases abroad. No, I didn't have to get life insurance. No, the bank didn't want to rip me off, on the contrary, and hasn't in the last 10 years. 

19 hours ago, yengec said:

I have been able to use mine as a normal credit card in countries in Africa and Europe and pay bills over the telephone. Never was offered life insurance and did not feel I was ripped off by the bank.

I have used

20 hours ago, yengec said:

There is an awful lot of codswallop talked on this forum!

I have used my Thai credit card all over the world for several years.

No problems at all, except when someone fraudulently spent $3500 on it in California - but my Thai credit card issuer reimbursed me.

SCB Bank granted my partner a credit card and I'm a second user with my own card.

Her monthly earnings meant the credit limit was low so we deposited money into a fixed term account.

They tried to sell her insurance but a polite refusal was all that was needed.

The advantage is, if you can pay off the balance in full each month, you you can get upto 60 days interest free credit and you can still build up loyalty points. 

Some stores such as Numchai and Power Buy also have the occasional promotion for credit cards.

3 hours ago, userabcd said:

I have been able to use mine as a normal credit card in countries in Africa and Europe and pay bills over the telephone. Never was offered life insurance and did not feel I was ripped off by the bank.

Same.

I wonder if people always think about the level of risk for the bank. If a foreigner has a CC and returns to their home country without finalizing their cc bills, what can the bank do to recover their outstanding bill?

Basically nothing. Therefore not surprising banks don't readily give out cc's to foreigners and not surprising they ask for some form of guarantee.

Perhaps another possibility is a pre-paid cc, I understand some Thai banks do this.

credit cards main purpose is to buy a product in the case of you are out of cash and or to pay by financing up to 12 months and so on. i see no logic to get a card in this country. Even in our home country they do many tricks to rip us off. Also when you have problem, you will have to solve it in thai english and good luck for all of u in communication. if you can get a sub credit card under your wife name etc its ok but to go for it alone its risky. every bank and their provedure, sale strategy etc may differ. it dorsnt mean every bank will rip you off by life insurance sell. if you are asked to deposit a fixed amount for credit card, whats the different from debit card? 

Years ago, I had a credit card, but stopped it on the advice of a bank and used a debit card for many years since.  Earlier this year, when back in Europe, I found that the car hire companies all wanted a credit card. They all refused cash, but luckily I found one that would take my debit card. Discussing my problem with some knowledgeable people, I discovered that many people only use credit cards to hire cars these days.

I successfully got an Amex card in Thailand (without a work permit) but they are not accepted everywhere. I tried to apply for a CITI bank credit card online. I thought I was making progress I sent them what they asked, passport details and bank books. But was refused the card because I had not shown a regular income. I protested that they hadn't asked for proof of a regular income but was willing to supply it. But they weren't interested, case closed.

My car insurance broker just announced that they accept credit cards (but not Amex) so I went to pay with my debit card. This was refused they only accept credit cards, debit cards cost them too much! What?

On 12/10/2017 at 1:15 PM, yengec said:

My wife has used hers in South America, Europe and Australia. So not sure where you got your facts from. 

my wife got a credit card very easily from Kasikorn Bank and she has used it all over the world. She did not even have to give any deposit or proof of income. She just listed her assets. It is not so easy for a foreigner. In the past,  many have simply disappeared without settling outstanding bill.

All you negative people are talking rubbish.

Have two credit cards issued by Thai banks (Both Visa) .. Good to use anywhere in the world they 

accept credit cards & use locally both on line & at shops.

The Krung Thai card was issued to me when I did not even have an account with them.

2 hours ago, yengec said:

i see no logic to get a card in this country.

Same as in other countries, except this card uses Thai baht and can be more convenient and cheaper for those here w/ Thai bank accounts.

Even in our home country they do many tricks to rip us off. Also when you have problem, you will have to solve it in thai english and good luck for all of u in communication.

No, you don't have to solve in Thai as the bank provides support in English.

if you are asked to deposit a fixed amount for credit card, whats the different from debit card? 

Same difference as always: loans; cash advances; dispute resolution; safety; useful when vendors don't accept debit cards.

Maybe all this is just sour grapes on your part?

Edited by JSixpack

On 12/10/2017 at 3:15 PM, yengec said:

nonsense, i have used mine all over the world. as for the rest, i find it hard to believe.

7 hours ago, userabcd said:

Where did you get your credit card?  I was thinking about getting a Thai credit card as well.  

Credit cards can only be issued if:

a) you can prove you earn an income of at least 20k a month (normally need 6 months income proof - best to have an employer’s letter plus salary entries in a bank passbook or statements)

b ) if you don’t have a regular provable income you need to pledge a cash amount in a bank account at the same amount as the credit limit  - same bank as issuing the credit card

These rules are set by Bank of Thailand and all card issuers must follow them. 

(Note: banks’ credit scoring systems result in much higher rejection rates if you earn less than 30k a month)

Apart from income proof you need a valid passport and long term visa - not a tourist visa - and if you’re working, a work permit

Credit limits are also fixed according to Bank of Thailand rules. If you earn less than 30k don’t expect more than 2x monthly income. Above that banks generally give 3-5 months. If you want more than 5 times income you MUST pledge a savings / deposit account. 

If you apply for another card - for example 1 Visa and 1 MasterCard, they usually share the same customer credit limit. Both may say the limit is THB100k but that does not mean you have THB200k in available credit

55 minutes ago, gamini said:

my wife got a credit card very easily from Kasikorn Bank and she has used it all over the world. She did not even have to give any deposit or proof of income. She just listed her assets. It is not so easy for a foreigner. In the past,  many have simply disappeared without settling outstanding bill.

Given the problems I had regularly with farang tenants who initially appeared to be reliable, well spoken well presented, intelligent and well capable of finding the rent money my guess is that plenty of farang would have no hesitation to go home, move to another country and just ignore the o/s balance on their credit card.  

I have several US based credit cards with a US bank (Chase) and they accepted a Thailand billing address on their card when I moved here.  However,  I've run into trouble in that some vendors won't accept a US based credit card with a foreign address (Uber, VRBO, credit agencies such as Equifax).  A Thailand based credit card looks like an option.

29 minutes ago, osandpo said:

Credit cards can only be issued if:

a) you can prove you earn an income of at least 20k a month (normally need 6 months income proof - best to have an employer’s letter plus salary entries in a bank passbook or statements)

b ) if you don’t have a regular provable income you need to pledge a cash amount in a bank account at the same amount as the credit limit  - same bank as issuing the credit card

These rules are set by Bank of Thailand and all card issuers must follow them. 

(Note: banks’ credit scoring systems result in much higher rejection rates if you earn less than 30k a month)

Apart from income proof you need a valid passport and long term visa - not a tourist visa - and if you’re working, a work permit

Credit limits are also fixed according to Bank of Thailand rules. If you earn less than 30k don’t expect more than 2x monthly income. Above that banks generally give 3-5 months. If you want more than 5 times income you MUST pledge a savings / deposit account. 

If you apply for another card - for example 1 Visa and 1 MasterCard, they usually share the same customer credit limit. Both may say the limit is THB100k but that does not mean you have THB200k in available credit

You say: "if you don’t have a regular provable income you need to pledge a cash amount in a bank account at the same amount as the credit limit  - same bank as issuing the credit card"

In my experience this is not true.

Can you tell me which bank insists on a cash amount in a bank account at the same amount as the credit limit?

Double the amount with SCB and 1.25 times with Krungsri is what I have found to be the case.

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

You say: "if you don’t have a regular provable income you need to pledge a cash amount in a bank account at the same amount as the credit limit  - same bank as issuing the credit card"

Can you tell me which bank insists on a cash amount in a bank account at the same amount as the credit limit?

Double the amount with SCB and 1.25 times with Krungsri is what I have found to be the case.

In reality banks ignore many of the regulations given by the Bank of Thailand and just make their own inconsistent rules and policies.

Example, the BOT at one stage issued a regulation that banks were forbidden to prey on university students.

The day my Thai son started uni an offfshore bank (well known for it's aggressive marketing) were asking students at the gate if they were freshies. If YES, the pretty girls asked for full name then quickly found the aligned card in their boxes and handed it to the student.

The students had never been approached in advance by the bank and their was no advance handouts or whatever.  My son, a bit better educated than most said 'I don't want this card and I don't have any income'. Answer: 'never mind, ask your father to pay'. Son refused to take the card.

It turned out that the bank did not have permission for any of this from the university and fairly quickly they were told to leave the campus and not return. It was also quickly discovered a staff member had sold a student list to the bank agent, she was dismissed. 

Edited by scorecard

On 12/10/2017 at 2:15 PM, yengec said:

the life insurance which cost around 100.000THB

It cost that much or that was the nominal value of the policy? Your story seems a little fanciful. 

On 12/10/2017 at 2:15 PM, yengec said:

As ı know they are only usable in country, in foreign countries it will be rejected because banks have strict restrictions on abroad using.

You may be one of the few people who "know" this.

On 10/12/2017 at 2:15 PM, yengec said:

What utter nonsense. I have used my K bank credit card in the EU, UK, AFRICA, JAPAN, NZ MALDIVES DUBAI CHINA etc. These unusable credit cards are Visa or Mastercards backed, just for your information.  If you dont know anything about something please dont write about it as if you know about the subject. I got my credit card based on my wp and had no strings attached. Over the last 8 years I have had no problems and no rip offs. There has been no limits on amounts I could spend in foreign countries. 

3 hours ago, macahoom said:

Bangkok bank..

2 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

What utter nonsense. I have used my K bank credit card in the EU, UK, AFRICA, JAPAN, NZ MALDIVES DUBAI CHINA etc. These unusable credit cards are Visa or Mastercards backed, just for your information.  If you dont know anything about something please dont write about it as if you know about the subject. I got my credit card based on my wp and had no strings attached. Over the last 8 years I have had no problems and no rip offs. There has been no limits on amounts I could spend in foreign countries. 

As i said before every banks marketing strategy may differ and why should i lie about the insurance sale issue? 

About the international usage? when you spend usd or euro currency are you able to pay with that currency? I mean can they offer usd statement too? or you enjoy their favorable thai baht rate on the abroad shopping?

credit cards main purpose is to buy a product in the case of you are out of cash and or to pay by financing up to 12 months and so on. i see no logic to get a card in this country. Even in our home country they do many tricks to rip us off. Also when you have problem, you will have to solve it in thai english and good luck for all of u in communication. if you can get a sub credit card under your wife name etc its ok but to go for it alone its risky. every bank and their provedure, sale strategy etc may differ. it dorsnt mean every bank will rip you off by life insurance sell. if you are asked to deposit a fixed amount for credit card, whats the different from debit card? 
I have Amex Thailand, also Visa and MasterCard from Bangkok Bank. No issue to use these credit cards around the world.
I had 2 frauds with American Express since i have it (I think since 2002).
The first happened while i was in Thailand. Amex called me and asked about several payments done in Bangkok in various Golf accessories shops. As I am not playing golf, they found these payments unusual. So they called me. I explained that i was not in Bangkok during that period but in Phuket. They asked me if could provide some evidences that i was in Phuket, which i did. They asked to cut in 2 my card, scan it and send the scan to them. 24 hours later I recieved a new card and none of these fraudulent payments were charge to me.
The second time: I went to Nigeria for business. As Nigeria is unsecured, i left my credit cards in a safe box in my hotel during my stay there. Once i was back to Thailand, i saw a payment of 9,500 usd on my monthly bill. I called Amex and explained that it was impossible. The payment was indeed done in Nigeria. Amex explained me that i might have unintensionaly left a payment receipt on a table or in garbige and they probably copied the credit card number and my signature. They blocked the card and sent me a new one 24h later.
I find the credit customer services ( both Amex or Bangkok Bank) very efficient, they have operators speaking clear english and very professional.
When i am doing an unusual payment (larger amount than usual), either with Amex or Bangkok Bank credit card, they are calling me immediately while i am still in the shop to verify before authorizing the payment.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk