Scepticism abounds about Prawit’s ‘borrowed’ watch

webfact

Not surprising considering that a vast majority of Thais are superficial and care only about face in public. That means buying stuff they can't afford: luxury bags, iPhones, name brand sneakers, etc. 

They love flashing that stuff even when they live a crappy, dingy hovel. And I can't tell you how many times I've driven past some cheap apartments 3000 a month rooms with BMWs in the parking lot. Live in a shit hole but look good when driving around. Just don't bring anyone back home or have anyone over for dinner. 

Edited by spermwhale

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

Fashion houses do it all the time, multi million dollar bling on models and A list celebrities

Completely different, that is business - advertising etc.  

This supposedly is lending from a friend.  Something small enough to lose fairly easily, something that won't be insured for that action if lent.  etc.  

3 hours ago, Topdoc said:

WARRANTY DOCUMENTATION

Each Richard Mille timepiece is accompanied by a unique, hand signed warranty card embedded with a holographic security seal on its surface issued by our manufacture in Les Breuleux, Switzerland. In addition, this document will be signed and dated a second time by your official Richard Mille retailer at the time of purchase."

http://richardmille.com/services-stores/warranty-maintenance/ 

Please show us the warranty documentation and purchase receipts.

There will be lots of paperwork with a watch like this.

If they were serious about tracing the origins, this is exactly what they would do.

I would also check his personal insurance policies; people like this who expect to be above the law are often stupid when it comes to hiding paper trails.

Edited by chrisinth

So let's say this is the excuse that is going to be used, why not just say this from the very beginning?

It would like someone accusing me of stealing and I simply say, "I can explain it". Many days later I come out with, "No, I didn't steal anything". 

6 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Agree total bullshit, looking at pictures of him the man is a mess and is not concerned about his appearance

Could'nt agree more. He is a nasty piece of work and clearly lying. What are his assets he is supposed to disclose?  A career army officer could no way save over several million baht let alone tens of millions. Off with his head, (and most of the other military officers in government,)

54 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

If they were serious about tracing the origins, this is exactly what they would do.

I would also check his personal insurance policies; people like this who expect to be above the law are often stupid when it comes to hiding paper trails.

Great Points

There's somehow some presumption that senior military officers here cannot be/aren't wealthy in real life.

But as any number of past leaks, controversies and disclosures have shown, especially for those at the top, that's a false presumption.

Just take a look at all the LEGAL money that flows thru the military here... Then imagine all the OTHER money that flows thru the military here...

The only thing that would be surprising to me here was if the guy didn't have enough money to afford a 10M baht watch.

Ohhh...where's Clalerm and his Rolls Royce when you need him...

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There's somehow some presumption that senior military officers here cannot be/aren't wealthy in real life.

No, that is not the case - most here understand and are fully aware that many senior military officers are wealthy in real life.  We however are realistic based on our countries of origin, that the vast majority of senior military officers in our home countries are not.  

The difference between Thailand and our home countries is?  Where is the source of this wealth?  (the answer is obvious)

Preecha Suwannathat...

This man is going to find life may become difficult although he is only asking relevant questions.

He is right though, if the watch is borrowed, the owner should present themselves so that Prawit appears to be honest and beyond reproach.