Thai shop owner angry that I parked in front of her shop.

doggie1955

In the video the OP shows, the lady is abusing him for videoing her, "why are you videoing me ?" "says something about "do you want to video my pussy". Its not the parking incident, what was said by either party is not on the video.

The OP is making out he pulled up and instantly got abused and we are seeing the abuse. The video is what happend when he started videoing her.

Its not inconceivable that the OP pulled up, full of his own self importance, "out of my way, Im an army VET on a mission from god" (temple). Its possible the OP is leaving out some of the initial dialogue, actions of both parties.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever happen to common sense and being polite by not parking in front of her shop. ?

For one thing ....  the exhaust fumes would be pretty smelly and annoying to her and any customers.She is trying to make a living with her shop and you parking there will block any traffic from seeing her shop.Would it be the end of the world if you just acknowledged parking in front is inconsiderate and you parked a few doors along ? 

17 hours ago, Banana7 said:

If a shop/business needs vehicle parking for their customers or suppliers then they should rent land or private space for that purpose. Everyone has the same rights to  public land or roadways.

Parking on a public roadway has nothing to do with respect for a shop or person.

What you said is right in legal terms.But I guess 90 percent of thais would say you are wrong because this practice of claiming that little space in front of their business set up has long been established. There is no way you can make them see the legal aspect in regards to this matter.

Especially if you are foreigner you really need to abide by that unspoken rule otherwise they would think you not a good Farang.  Farangs always talking about laws or legal rights, I don't see much of laws in Thailand, BIB do as they see fit or change the rules when they need the benefit for themselves. I suspect a lot of Thais are ignorant of many legal terms or laws in relation to what they can or cannot do in public.

I mean just look at some motorbikes carrying some long metal tubes that could easily injure someone. The pillon rider sitting behind would be holding those long metal tubes in a wobbly way, anytime he could strike someone with those metal pieces or knock into cars.

So don't waste your time just be nice since you are not going to win ,take the trouble to walk some distance or go to another establishment more convenient.

Laws and justice in Thailand? You need to replace the ruling class and it will take 50 years perhaps.

Different factors could cause Taichung behaviors. Perhaps she was on monthly period, not feeling good, bad business, personal problems, next door many customers (parking problem everyday) or she did not like farang, perhaps particularly "you". 

I suggest op to keep it peaceful and friendly in such cases. 

19 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Common for Thais to think they own road or sidewalk ! The number of vendors who open up their stall selling fake goods on road/sidewalk get pissy if try and push by and actually touch their stand ! Psychotic bunch

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Hate to shock everyone, but farang shop owners can do the same thing. :shock1:. I remember a big fat tattooed Brit bar owner on Soi Yamato who rushed out when I tried to part my bike in front of his bar. Mine was the only vehicle, plenty of space. He told me I'd better not and if I did then I'd find my bike on the ground when I returned. We had a few words but I did move the bike.

He went out of business a year or so later, heh heh. Good riddance.

11 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Why the need to tell us you are a US vet??  And what has the fact you look after dogs and cats and mention temple got to do with the story??

He is creating the character. He is heroic, spiritual and phil (zoo-?) anthropic. He is by definition good.

This is often described by the term "shields". There are 4 common "shields", the charity shield, the religious shield, the heroic shield and the sickness shield. There are others. These shields mean the person protected by the shield cannot be criticised and the person criticising is by definition a bad person, a "hater". It is a common technique when trying to gain support or when putting your side of a dispute or conflict.

I am not taking sides, just explaining why the writer had to slip in 3 of the 4 common shields.

3 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Yeap.  If you're going to live here you need to learn how to be successfully intimidated.  And, of course, Lesson #2, the majority here is ALWAYS right!   Get with the program!

Just one question for the peanut gallery:  If that had been a Thai man parking in the spot, do you suppose the lady would have given him the same hard time?   Would a Thai man have recognized her "ownership" of the parking space?    

and if it was a thai male shop owner do you think he would call him ting tong?

It's strange that when some Thai women marry foreigners many of their values and common sense get forgotten. She wants to take a video of another Thai lady in an attempt to humiliate her on social media. It's like saying I'm so much better than you. People can bang on about the legalities of whether he can or cannot park outside her business but the common sense approach would be if someone asks you not to maybe because she wants to keep it free for her customers, you respect that.  Making a living out here is hard enough for most Thais without pompous foreigners playing the "do you know who I am " card. 

The American should know better than to ring his wife (why the f uc k the  he needs to phone her to tell her is another discussion) so she can play the "oh I've now got an American husband and I'm so more important that you, let's teach her a lesson  " and then to take her advice and film it is beyond me. He obviously has the same values as her. 

No surprise  it's her Facebook account it's posted on. 

Edited by Kadilo

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Whatever happen to common sense and being polite by not parking in front of her shop. ?

For one thing ....  the exhaust fumes would be pretty smelly and annoying to her and any customers.She is trying to make a living with her shop and you parking there will block any traffic from seeing her shop.Would it be the end of the world if you just acknowledged parking in front is inconsiderate and you parked a few doors along ? 

First off I'd avoid a confrontation to the best of my ability and I'd never call a Thai ting tong.

That being said, I also have a problem with shop owners claiming ownership of the space in front of their shop. I  pay yearly taxes and register my car as I suspect  the OP does.   I also claim certain rights on the road  from that respect.

Do you think the shop owner pays anything for reserving the parking space on the road in front of her shop?

While not having a go at you steven100, the logical extreme of your  post would be for no one in any Thai city to park anywhere on the  street where there is any kind of shop.  As I say that's the logical extreme.

I wonder  if it's possible for the shop owners to pay the city to rent the space in front of their shops by having the curb marked appropriately for  limited parking?     Using such money collected from shop owners  could help fund parking garages or some other traffic mitigation effort.

Reminds me of the time I parked on 3rd. road and went for a game of snooker on the other side. As I pulled up an old woman ran out of the shop and started giving me a hard time. I don't speak Thai. I politely ignored here and went about my business. After my game (1 hour) I returned to my car to find it completely boxed in with motorbike taxis, about 6 in total. When I parked there was no sign of any motorbikes but just next to the shop there is a MBT rank where they all sit. Now I could not ignore and I went cap in hand to ask the guys to move a couple of their bikes, remembering to smile all the time and thanking them for kindly looking after my car while I was away. They were not smiling back but eventually one of them moved a couple of the bikes so I could get out. I think I got off lightly there. It was the middle of the day so I am not sure what would have happened if it was late at night. Probably something much worse.

Den

4 minutes ago, denby45 said:

Reminds me of the time I parked on 3rd. road and went for a game of snooker on the other side. As I pulled up an old woman ran out of the shop and started giving me a hard time. I don't speak Thai. I politely ignored here and went about my business. After my game (1 hour) I returned to my car to find it completely boxed in with motorbike taxis, about 6 in total. When I parked there was no sign of any motorbikes but just next to the shop there is a MBT rank where they all sit. Now I could not ignore and I went cap in hand to ask the guys to move a couple of their bikes, remembering to smile all the time and thanking them for kindly looking after my car while I was away. They were not smiling back but eventually one of them moved a couple of the bikes so I could get out. I think I got off lightly there. It was the middle of the day so I am not sure what would have happened if it was late at night. Probably something much worse.

Den

You offer another valid reason we should all acquiesce to invalid parking demands by shop owners.

For sure,  your matter could have resulted in your waking up in a hospital had you not handled it diplomatically.

But that being said, you did nothing wrong.  The fact is that the customers for any particular shop can simply find their own space.

The real issue here is the failure of planning by the governmental powers that be.

21 hours ago, markaoffy said:

Common for Thais to think they own road or sidewalk ! The number of vendors who open up their stall selling fake goods on road/sidewalk get pissy if try and push by and actually touch their stand ! Psychotic bunch

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Maybe it's time to pack your bags and buy a one-way ticket! Surely you can't be happy living amongst the psychotic people.

10 minutes ago, hobobo said:

Maybe it's time to pack your bags and buy a one-way ticket! Surely you can't be happy living amongst the psychotic people.

wow, took 78 posts before someone played the "you should go home" card.

14 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I would not say go home as I hate posters who resort to that.

I would say he has a ' little too much time on his hands! '  maybe another hobby required?

Maybe him going home is not such a bad idea after all, if only for his own safety, you cannot go around calling Thais ting tong and expect things to end well.

Edited by vogie

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

Maybe him going home is not such a bad idea after all, if only for his own safety, you cannot go around calling Thais ting and expect things to end well.

That's his problem and he will learn one way or the other. Other than immigration no one really has the right to tell someone to go home. 

6 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

That's his problem and he will learn one way or the other. Other than immigration no one really has the right to tell someone to go home. 

Nobody is telling him to go home, but if he can't live in Thailand without insulting people, he could actually do himself a favour by getting out of an environment he may well not be suited to.

Edited by vogie

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

Nobody is telling him to go home, but if he can't live in Thailand without insulting people, he could actually do himself a favour by getting out of an environment he may well not be suited to.

Read post #78

11 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Read post #78

I am very happy living here, but there again I don't go insulting Thais. But I do find some foreigners more of an odd ball than Thais, we have already a bad name here and banding insults about certainly does not help matters.

29 minutes ago, vogie said:

I am very happy living here, but there again I don't go insulting Thais. But I do find some foreigners more of an odd ball than Thais, we have already a bad name here and banding insults about certainly does not help matters.

I fully agree with you. Just saying no one has the right to tell someone else to go home.

i have also met some really strange farang here and sometimes ashamed to be one. 

24 minutes ago, vogie said:

To be honest - I don't think 'we' do have a bad name here...  Fortunately the Thai's surrounding us are intuitive and intelligent enough to judge us foreigners on our individual merits and its usually based up on how each situation is individually approached...

------

Perhaps the Woman who confronts the Op is mad... perhaps the situation could not be handled politely. 

In a very similar situation a few years ago an older lady started complaining to me that I'd parked outside her Shop... I explained... "I'm sorry Auntie, can I park here for 30 minutes, I'll be quick" with a wai and a smile... she smiled back...  

.... Now of course, this mitigating behavior would not work in every situation and I have to be in a rather happy mood to get away with such things... However, what I have found is that when I am happy, smiley and easy going the response is usually more favorable.... when I am in a very sh!tty mood other things start to go against me...  As I'm happier more than I am upset things generally go my way... 

Solution in this case: Ignore the lady - totally ignore her. Next time he knows he needs to park there have something ready to give her... a small bag of cookies etc.... and watch her melt - explain that he's just parking there for 5 minutes... 

There is no point trying to win, there is no winning in cases like this... there is simply playing along which makes life so much less stressful... It takes two a-holes to make an issue... 

20 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Hope people in the US army are not as sensitive as you.

I go to this clinic about once a week, and before all this happen I had her husband get in my truck and take it out of gear and push my truck out of his so-called space. Then one night he tried to follow me home to see where I lived, which I spotted the tail. Late I checked my truck cam which has front & rear cam on it. The Vet told me the oil hhe sells in front of the shop is just a front for her loan shark business, so he needs the front area open so all the people come by to pay off there daily interest on their loan.

For me, I just had it with the BS with both of them...