Prayut warns that he would be ‘more aggressive’ without embattled Prawit

webfact

By The Nation

7c42e78c20bbcdd4d1ec3449234d0b04.jpeg

General Prawit Wongsuwan

PRIME MINISTER General Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday claimed that some of the allegations against his deputy, General Prawit Wongsuwan, targeted their relationship and people would like to see the two of them separated.

“But I’m strong, and you know that if I had no one by my side, I would become more aggressive and exercise my full power,” Prayut said.

Prawit has recently been a centre of controversy for his response to the death of a military cadet, as well as his possession of an expensive wristwatch and diamond ring. 

Last week, the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) gave Prawit 30 days to justify his possession of the two extravagant items, which he wore during a group photograph with the recently reshuffled Cabinet the preceding Monday.

The photo – which showed the 72-year-old retired general shielding his eyes with his hand, displaying what appeared to be extremely expensive accessories – quickly caught the public’s attention and raised questions as to how a lifelong military officer could afford such luxuries.

Prayut yesterday urged the media not to pressure Prawit over the allegations surrounding the accessories. He also appealed for legal procedures to be followed in the case, and urged the public not to be pessimistic.

Prayut said he was not giving moral support to the deputy prime minister, as Prawit was strong enough to handle the issue. 

According to the NACC, Prawit has not yet submitted a letter to clarify his possession of the items. The agency sent a letter informing Prawit about the matter last Thursday, said the official.

Meanwhile, Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said the NACC must demonstrate its integrity in its inquiry into the allegation, and consider the case based on the facts. The NACC head, Pol General Watcharapol Prasarnrajkit, who is said to be close to Prawit, must also show his integrity and impartiality in leading the probe, Abhisit said. 

Watcharapol once served as a deputy secretary-general to the prime minister attached to Prawit.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30333784

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-13

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really curious to see where this one goes.

It is hard to explain a subtle kick-back in a large contract or the intricacies of a trade protection ruling or the vagaries of creating conditions whereby only one person is eligible to win a contract.

It is easy to talk "Bling". 

It wouldn't surprise me if we continue to hear about this for a long time...

2 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

And just like that, the "war on corruption" ended before it even started...

Unfortunately it seems that you  are right. I was hoping, back in 2014, that they took the battle against corruption seriously, but now I really have my doubts.

The corruption and the consequences of it is an rotten apple, which destroys Thailand and the people. 

When you realize that your leaders and the elite don't care about the laws, you start thinking "why should I follow the law".

The problem is that, should  Prawit, who's as in high position as you can  get, be found guilty of unexplained wealth, it will bode not well on his close mates, who are themselves very big wigs in the Thai government and society, 

with the adage that goes 'tell me who's your friend and i'll tell you who

you are' might put his close buddies in a negative light as well....

Edited by ezzra

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“But I’m strong, and you know that if I had no one by my side, I would become more aggressive and exercise my full power,” Prayut said.

Seriously, peasants, I’m warning you. Stop criticising your betters, no matter how corrupt they are. 

General Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday claimed that some of the allegations against his deputy, General Prawit Wongsuwan, targeted their relationship and people would like to see the two of them separated.

NO! Your deputy decided to wear this ostentatious bling in public. The public has every right to ask these questions. Especially as your whole thing is about stopping corruption. If you two do get separated, the only person to blame will be your deputy. 

If you wanna have your cake and eat it, ban social media. See how powerful you really are when trying that on. 

A self-obsessed despot and megalomaniac at the height of his powers. The enormous number of "warnings" he has issued over the past couple of years indicate that this man is well along the path to being a genuine banana republic dictator.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Sure you be agreessive and strong hiding behind article 44, trampling on human rights, computer crime act, attitude adjustment, corny corruption agencies and aligned police force. Without all that you just a small town bully with an inferiority complex. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Basically, "Yes he's guilty, but if you screw with him you're screwing with me...and you really don't want to do that".

1 hour ago, Lampoon said:

Oh for goodness' sake. How are people supposed to take these people seriously when they behave like 10-year-old kids in a sandpit?

It's all a bit pathetic.

You hit the nail on it's head, no doubt about that.

But there is a mayor difference between a 10-year old kid and that guy - he is the top-guy and he got the power to do <deleted> he want to do. Without any consequenses at the moment. 

I just wish all those TV members who were so eager to promote the Prayut government and oust the previously elected administration would now appear and admit they were wrong. Don't see them anywhere these days. At the time, back in 2014, so many horrible right-wing TV members were going on about 'how so corrupt' those Shinawatras were and why an army government was needed to 'sort em out'. I said at the time and have been proven right, that the army is not going to be any cleaner. If anything, they'll be worse. And so it proved to be. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The first rule of good governance is to serve the people and the country!

This is not a 'warning' it is a threat towards the entire population.

I wonder if he changed his slogan: "bringing happiness to the people" already to: "bringing happiness to Steven 100 and some of his friends loyal to the regime."

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

The problem is that, should  Prawit, who's as in high position as you can  get, be found guilty of unexplained wealth, it will bode not well on his close mates, who are themselves very big wigs in the Thai government and society, 

with the adage that goes 'tell me who's your friend and i'll tell you who

you are' might put his close buddies in a negative light as well....

I flat tell you boy, no-one will ever know.

3 hours ago, Smiley Face said:

This sounds like a blatant threat that should his sidekick get the boot, then Adolf Prayut will make life miserable for those who cross him.  The true colors are beginning to show very vividly.  Very scary!

“But I’m strong, and you know (???) that if I had no one by my side, I would become more (?)aggressive and exercise my full power,” Prayut said.

....it looks as if he threatens the people who want to question the matter.

Does he  says that  Prayut , calms down his agression ? Can he not control his agression ?