Australian abuse report calls for end to sanctity of confession

webfact

24 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

You are welcome to google search yourself.  869,000 results for Catholic Church Child Abuse... I am sure you will find one that justifies whatever position you prefer.

Somebody makes a claim, but won't or can't back up that claim with facts. In such a case the claim should not be made.

I

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Somebody makes a claim, but won't or can't back up that claim with facts. In such a case the claim should not be made.

You claim that the links don't meet your criteria to base my claim on.  I shall have a hard time sleeping tonight because of this.     Somebody needs to stop deflecting for the pedos.  not saying you...

15 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

The Catholic Church is a thoroughly corrupt organization. A very rich, long established, still influential in some countries, but nevertheless corrupt organization.

Australia is a modern secular society. It has the right to pass laws, enforce laws and prosecute law breakers. If the Catholic Church doesn't want to abide by the law they are free to leave.

For years this organization new of these appalling crimes and chose to cover them up to protect itself and it's image. Disgusting. And their head honcho lectures others on morality whilst ignoring the festering sewer pit he commands.

I am the last person to support the Catholic Church, but people have the right to believe in whatever they choose.

Just because a lot of bad people are priests does not mean that the church itself is bad. The same can be said of any human institution. My school had many bad and sometimes wicked teachers, but I don't blame the school for that.

It is human nature to be bad or good, and the bad seem to be the majority.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

the bad seem to be the majority.

They just make more noise.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It is human nature to be bad or good

It's human to choose bad or good - a pedo can choose whether to act on their impulses.

6 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

I

You claim that the links don't meet your criteria to base my claim on.  I shall have a hard time sleeping tonight because of this.     Somebody needs to stop deflecting for the pedos.  not saying you...

You can make of it whatever you want.

Baerboxer made a claim, I asked him a question to substantiate his claim.

Now your final statement, ending with 'not saying you ...', is ludicrous and a ridiculous accusation.

Got to thinking; just how would they go about enforcing such a law?

Hello Father X

Hello Officer Y

Hear anything this week?

Nope

OK, see ya next week.

ok

Can't really haul them in and accuse them of lying.

The ONLY way a thing like this stops must start at home. A heart to heart sit down with mom and dad showing pure support for the kids for telling them the truth. No worry of blame or punishment, physical OR psychological. If the kids trust mom and dad more than the priest there would be more coming forward. Parents also need to instill in their kids that it's not a family shame to have been taken advantage of or attacked. A child's psyche is very delicate and shaped on a daily basis.

Catholic confession is a cop-out; I do what I like then at the last moment I call on the virgin Mary and am saved. Best description I heard of this was by Sartre - you ain't gonna break the congealed circumstances of your life by a last minute confession.

16 hours ago, nausea said:

Catholic confession is a cop-out; I do what I like then at the last moment I call on the virgin Mary and am saved. Best description I heard of this was by Sartre - you ain't gonna break the congealed circumstances of your life by a last minute confession.

If you wish to comment on confession and forgiveness it would behoove you to understand the reality as opposed to anti religious propaganda.

I think confession is a nonsense, but I think if it makes some feel better that is their right.

21 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Got to thinking; just how would they go about enforcing such a law?

Hello Father X

Hello Officer Y

Hear anything this week?

Nope

OK, see ya next week.

ok

Can't really haul them in and accuse them of lying.

The ONLY way a thing like this stops must start at home. A heart to heart sit down with mom and dad showing pure support for the kids for telling them the truth. No worry of blame or punishment, physical OR psychological. If the kids trust mom and dad more than the priest there would be more coming forward. Parents also need to instill in their kids that it's not a family shame to have been taken advantage of or attacked. A child's psyche is very delicate and shaped on a daily basis.

There is no way they can enforce it, but it's a convenient way to attack religious institutions- thin end of the wedge etc.

I hope you do realise that mum and dad are the problem. They are the means by which all the ills of society are transmitted down the generations.

What are you suggesting? Sending all parents to indoctrination classes before being permitted to breed? CC tv in every home, watched by the thought police?

It is clear to me that humans are fatally flawed, and IMO there is no solution. It's in the genes.

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:21 PM, boomerangutang said:

Hmmm, interesting dilemma.  Perhaps a compromise:  The priest hearing the confession can tell the person (who is confessing to a crime) it's very bad and illegal, and giving a warning:  'If you do anything like that, one more time, I will report you to the police.'

There's a scene in the Godfather II (or III) where the mafia Don goes to the Vatican and confesses to a high priest (a Cardinal?  the Pope?) about killing many people.  The priest says something like, "yes, I know about you. You've been bad."  ....and leaves it at that.

No dilemma at all, these people should not have any privileges, too many bad things have happened and they have proven they can't control their own people.

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:49 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I am the last person to support the Catholic Church, but people have the right to believe in whatever they choose.

Just because a lot of bad people are priests does not mean that the church itself is bad. The same can be said of any human institution. My school had many bad and sometimes wicked teachers, but I don't blame the school for that.

It is human nature to be bad or good, and the bad seem to be the majority.

If the leaders of the institution protect the bad, then something needs to be done about the institution.