Thai village funds.

BTB1977

My GF says she pays into a village fund every year. I know there is one. But how much is the average payment per year. She says 20,000 baht. I do not believe her. I think she is including other family members in that amount. So what would the average be for one person????

What is the fund for? As an example, some villages have a funeral fund that pays out upon death.

Every time there is a funeral, all participating villagers pay in about 200 baht to replenish the fund. The payout covers all necessary funeral costs.

You have to consider it is a village. Some villagers may not ever have 20,000 baht in their hand in their entire life.

If 200 villagers paid in that quantity of money the payout would be 4 million baht. That's more than most state lottery payouts. The village would be the most famous in Thailand, full of village millionaires.

You are right to be suspicious. This is just another scam to separate you from your money.

Edited by blackcab

BTB1977 time to go find a new girlfriend,as your current 1 is full of s++t.

In our village when a person dies we pay 50 baht, deceased family get 20.000 baht.

Yes i know about this because i have been accepted into the scheme.

I have been paying into it now for 4 years.The whole village got a huge fright when i had my accident, as they all thought i was on my way out, and they would have to pay out 20.000 when i had only paid in 100 baht.

I know she is full of shit. I called her on it last year. I said it is not my problem. If she knows she has a bill to pay at the end of the year, why not save 1,500 a month and have the money???. Told her sell her motorcycle or some of her gold. She took her gold to a pawn shop. She did not look too happy when she came back.5555

2 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

I know she is full of shit. I called her on it last year. I said it is not my problem. If she knows she has a bill to pay at the end of the year, why not save 1,500 a month and have the money???. Told her sell her motorcycle or some of her gold. She took her gold to a pawn shop. She did not look too happy when she came back.5555

It looks like your GF is a keeper :smile:

13 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

My GF says she pays into a village fund every year. I know there is one. But how much is the average payment per year. She says 20,000 baht. I do not believe her. I think she is including other family members in that amount. So what would the average be for one person????

The only bill for our house in the village from local gov was 9 baht for this year, went up by 1 baht absolutely outrageous. 

Your GF would have to specify what the fund bill is for ?  maybe a collective family insurance but what's that gotta do with you.

There is a scheme my wife's sister pays into everytime a person dies in our village within a village a 100 bht per person.

There's another 20 bht one but think that's for poor people.

I believe it is a loan payment too. She has a hair salon and makes about 35,000 to 40,000 a month.  But until she stops helping every family member that comes along she can not help herself. That is why I do not give into her. I am suprised she has not got rid of me . I do help her, but not by handing her cash. I pay for her daily needs such as food , clothes , travel and health needs. She just can not manage  money . Thanks for all the replies. I am sure I know where I stand 

There are a number of different village funds, the most common one being the funeral fund. In our village the requirement is for each person that joins the fund must pay in 200 Baht each time someone from the village dies - the money is pooled and given to the relatives to help with funeral costs. It is not unusual for many of the older Thais to have funds set up in more than one village, often where they have other family ties.

We also have a second type of fund which requires each member to pay in a few thousand Baht - not exactly sure but I believe it is about 6000 Baht per time. Again, this money is pooled and then given to a different villager, usually once per month - it is like a Co-op savings scheme type of thing.

There is a village fund in my village started under the direction of PM Thaksin

Villagers can generally borrow 10/20,000baht for 1 year. They need 2/3guarantors, but in practice everyone guarantees for each other.

Come end of November/early December, the loans + interest must be repaid. Lo and behold, very few people are able to repay.  Normally someone in the village sets up a fund of around 1 million baht. Villagers can "borrow" their repayment (usually at a fixed fee of 3%). They never see the money. It is paid on their behalf to the bank. After 2/3 weeks, they can borrow the money again. Yet again they never see the new money, as it is then repaid to the person who set up the loan fund. and the interest is split between the person who loaned the money and those dealing with the admin.

Edited by prakhonchai nick

4 hours ago, ningnong said:

Maybe a misunderstanding?

Maybe she has borrowed 20,000 from the village fund and each year makes the interest payment. Maybe she wants to pay the loan off. I vaguely recall it is in December when payments are due.

This could be possible...

When one gets invited/goes to a Wedding/funeral one is expected to present an envelope with a amount of money, around our village it ranges from 100 THD up to 1000THB sometimes more it depends,,,,NO Village fund , That's a  rip of for self profit.

2 hours ago, malagateddy said:

My wife paid her annual life ASSURANCE money to the village treasurer last week..all above board where I live outside Chaiyaphum.
Sadly there have been a few deaths this year..every deceased's next of kin received 220000 baht I can assure you.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Dying pays i see :smile:

9 hours ago, ningnong said:

Maybe she has borrowed 20,000 from the village fund and each year makes the interest payment. Maybe she wants to pay the loan off. I vaguely recall it is in December when payments are due.

6 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

There is a village fund in my village started under the direction of PM Thaksin

Villagers can generally borrow 10/20,000baht for 1 year.

It sounds like this village fund.  Depending on what the specific village rules are for their fund will determine how much a person can borrow.  Once they borrow, they can not borrow again until the last loan is paid off.

The money paid back each year goes back into the fund to be loaned out again.

In 'my' village everything happens around this time of year.  

The loans from the fund are for one year only.  There is a high percent of paybacks each year.  

Since the funds were set up years ago with a million baht per village, almost all the different funds have done pretty well, so that almost every village has a lot more to re-loan out each year.  I think there might have even been another government infusion of money added so that more can be loaned out each year.

A popular program that has actually worked out well to help lots of people.

When the heat started in April we were having people dying every week. The guy with his ledger comes around collecting the THB200.- every time. This cool weather seems to be lightening the ranks also.

Then there is the temple fund, donors names are called out on the loudspeaker system, couldn't help noticing that the village whore/hag was the biggest donor. 

The banks' loans, as mentioned above, are organised at the village level. Every year the same names get broadcast because they haven't repaid for a few years. One of the last people still living with a grass roof and bamboo walls has a large debt.

3 minutes ago, johna said:

Sounds like Taksins 1 million ฿ village revolving fund, here the borrowers simply pay the interest every year and the principle gets rolled over into a new debt.

Yep that's right

I'm not sure if it's per household or whoever wants to join as my wife was in it (now taken of register ) for the grubby family

It worked that they had to pay it back by a certain date then they would see how much money they end up with which would determine how much a person could get for the following year

& can be 20,000 

20 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

said it like a real man. good on ya:clap2:

12 minutes ago, catman20 said:

said it like a real man. good on ya:clap2:

Thanks, I just dont like dealing with drama at my old age. It is funny the games she plays. I call her on them every time. Like she says I know where you were?.. I know where I was too. Than she asks where were you? I tell her she already knows so I not have to tell her. One time she said a friend of hers said she saw me at some bar I have never been to. I demanded to talk to this friend. When she could not tell me the friends name, I made her go with me to the bar. I asked the owner and the bartender if I was there. They said no. They not know me. Later I found out who the friend was that said I was there. I told her if she lied about me again she would have big problems. now all her friends know not to talk shit about me. I follow up on everything and not let bullshitters go on spreading lies. Thais are not use to someone doing that. Suprises the shit out of them. 5555. 

In my village of 74 houses there is no annual or monthly fund.

What there is, is a loan facility that must be reconciled before the end of the year. The Government provides the Head Man with 1,000,000 TB to be allocated to those villagers who need a short term loan, interest free. In my village the maximum loan amount per household is 1/74th of 1,000,000 TB.

On January 1 the village Chief must present the Government with the Village bankbook showing 1,000,000 in the account, so at this time the pressure is on the borrowers to "pay up". They often arrange short term bridging finance from others to make the payment and on January 4 they can re-borrow from the village fund.

I suspect it is "pay up" time for your GF and family.

1 hour ago, BTB1977 said:

Thanks, I just dont like dealing with drama at my old age. It is funny the games she plays. I call her on them every time. Like she says I know where you were?.. I know where I was too. Than she asks where were you? I tell her she already knows so I not have to tell her. One time she said a friend of hers said she saw me at some bar I have never been to. I demanded to talk to this friend. When she could not tell me the friends name, I made her go with me to the bar. I asked the owner and the bartender if I was there. They said no. They not know me. Later I found out who the friend was that said I was there. I told her if she lied about me again she would have big problems. now all her friends know not to talk shit about me. I follow up on everything and not let bullshitters go on spreading lies. Thais are not use to someone doing that. Suprises the shit out of them. 5555. 

This post made me laugh. There is a topic in it.

22 hours ago, cracker1 said:

I suspect it is "pay up" time for your GF and family.

Exactly why they want to bag a Falang as most of them are now running around like chooks to pay the year end debts usually trying family or any other means to get the cash

On 12/21/2017 at 9:08 AM, BTB1977 said:

Why are you even with this lady? It seems you don't care about her and she does not give a shit about you, other than she tries to get money out of you.

I can understand relationships of convenience in that an elderly gent would be with a younger Thai lady and there is mutual understanding that she is not in it for the looks or the fun or the sex but she will give that on the understanding that she and her family are provided for. The lady gets what she needs and the elderly gent gets a bit of action in his later years that they probably have not had for many years where they are from. But in your relationship you just seem to dislike/distrust each other :)