How often will my passport be checked once in Thailand?

Hello! This is my first post and I hope this is the forum to ask the question and if multiple threads exists or if I have posted in the wrong place I give you my sincere apologies.

I am currently in mainland China and I need to renew my Chinese tourist visa, to do so I am toying with the thought of going to Thailand and sending my passport to the UK where a friend of mine can help with getting the visa in a smooth way. 

Since I know the law in Thailand says you need to have your passport with you at all time I am curious about how this will work in practice? How often does one need to provide their passports? Do one need to show it in Hotels? When booking bus/train tickets? Is there any police inspections? 

If I am found without my passport, is it possible to get away using a photo copy with the passport page and the passport stamps as well as an ID card with the same name? 
If one gets caught, what is the punishment? 

Grateful for your kind answers
Best regards Dhammadweller

Unlikely to be asked for it but if you are and don't have it you will be held somewhere until it can be shown to show you are legally in Thailand.

You can work out the timing to get it back from UK.

You might get away with copies to show or you might not. 

Usually required to check in at hotels so the hotel can submit details of your stay to Imm'

All depends on where and why you are asked for it by the police.

As they say in Thailand, 'up to you'

You'll need to show it at hotels, or to access certain services - banks, hospitals. You might get away with a copy, wouldn't like to risk it though. Never been asked for it booking bus/train tickets. There are occasional police inspections in tourist areas. Mostly it's not a problem, guys stay here on overstay for years. As overherbc says above "up to you", you'll be taking a calculated risk.

They simply will not issue a new passport. They will see the entry stamp in your old passport and see no exit stamp. You will then have an issue when they contact Thai immigration to find out what is going on with you. Many have tried and many have failed and come unstuck. If your in Thailand, you must apply for the passport in Thailand. You cannot just simply send it to the UK.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

They simply will not issue a new passport. They will see the entry stamp in your old passport and see no exit stamp. You will then have an issue when they contact Thai immigration to find out what is going on with you. Many have tried and many have failed and come unstuck. If your in Thailand, you must apply for the passport in Thailand. You cannot just simply send it to the UK.

OP is wanting a visa not a new passport but I would imagine no exit stamp as you say would still cause a problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lovethailandelite said:

He intends to get a visa for China by sending his passport to the UK. He not applying for a passport there.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Unlikely to be asked for it but if you are and don't have it you will be held somewhere until it can be shown to show you are legally in Thailand.

You can work out the timing to get it back from UK.

You might get away with copies to show or you might not. 

Usually required to check in at hotels so the hotel can submit details of your stay to Imm'

All depends on where and why you are asked for it by the police.

As they say in Thailand, 'up to you'

Why not apply for the visa in Bangkok ???

32 minutes ago, Crossy said:

In 13 years here I've never had my passport checked other than in places where you would expect it (like immigration), but I work full time and we don't do the tourist stuff.

I've been asked once and only on the way to Poipet a good few years ago, that's since here in early 90's.

If travelling on a bus in some of the border areas there are often police check points where the bus stops and an officer gets on and examines all the docs.Often when they see a Farang they pass by and don`t ask for the passport but if you look a bit dodgy they may ask to see it.

If you intend to live here for a longer period of time , with non-imm visa etc, I will recommend you to apply for a Thai drivers license.  It will be accepted almost everywhere , also at hotels . Your passport number and address in Thailand is printed on the license.  It only works if you are going to live here of course. As a tourist you need to carry your passport  , but you can make a laminated copy of it , with all the visa stamps, and leave the original in your condo / hotel . 

But I have never been asked to identify myself after 7 years here, except when driving my car into a police check point. The only time I need my passport is when I leave/enter the kingdom . And to renew my visa at immigration. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, persimmon said:

If travelling on a bus in some of the border areas there are often police check points where the bus stops and an officer gets on and examines all the docs.Often when they see a Farang they pass by and don`t ask for the passport but if you look a bit dodgy they may ask to see it.

In my experience, they used to never check Farang's passports.  On recent trips, if the bus is boarded, they always check everyone.

11 minutes ago, balo said:

As a tourist you need to carry your passport  , but you can make a laminated copy of it , with all the visa stamps, and leave the original in your condo / hotel . 

This is what I do as a long-stayer, also (I have no DL).  If I am ever taken to a police-station for not having the original, however unlikely that is, it could be brought to me quickly.  I definitely would not want my passport to be "not available" while in Thailand.

My advise, to the OP - try to get a 2nd passport, to facilitate applying for visas in this manner.

In my opinion it is possible to get a tourist visa either in Bangkok or as suggested in Hongkong. I have done that many times. Business Visa for China are a bit tricky but tourist visa are usually quite easy to get.

Gesendet von iPad mit Thaivisa Connect

You can walk around with your passport in your pocket for 20 years and never have to pull it out.  20 minutes after you send it off, someone will ask you for it, under threat of dire consequences if you can't produce it.  That's just the way the world works...

Get your China visa in Bangkok.  I've gotten 3 from BKK.  Don't tempt the gods.

Thank you for all the insight provided in your answers, I am grateful for the guidance of such experienced "Thai-travelers". 
As suggested I have looked into the options of getting a visa in both Hong Kong an Bangkok, I read that it might take up to three weeks to get your visa in Bangkok and in Hong Kong it can take up to two weeks. I want to be in a sunny place and enjoy the nature, perhaps do a ten day Vipassana meditation retreat as I try to do annually.
I have already been in Hong Kong and it is a big city and most of the big cities are filled with noise and air pollution, very expensive.
I guess that is the price you have to pay to be with the desire to cross certain borders...
But what do they say? When life gives you lemons, make juice... There is probably some kind of middle way where I can enjoy the comfort of nature relatively close to a big city.

Edited by dhammadweller

15 minutes ago, dhammadweller said:

Thank you for all the insight provided in your answers, I am grateful for the guidance of such experienced "Thai-travelers". 
As suggested I have looked into the options of getting a visa in both Hong Kong an Bangkok, I read that it might take up to three weeks to get your visa in Bangkok and in Hong Kong it can take up to two weeks. I want to be in a sunny place and enjoy the nature, perhaps do a ten day Vipassana meditation retreat as I try to do annually.
I have already been in Hong Kong and it is a big city and most of the big cities are filled with noise and air pollution, very expensive.
I guess that is the price you have to pay to be with the desire to cross certain borders...
But what do they say? When life gives you lemons, make juice... There is probably some kind of middle way where I can enjoy the comfort of nature relatively close to a big city.

Some reports lately suggest it takes 3 to 4 days in BKK for the visa.

hong kong can take weeks or more....if you do it yourself.

established agents have the requisite "guanxi" to get it

done in 2-3 days.

the thorntree (lonely planet) forums have a sticky at the

top of the china section with the latest info on visas,

recommended agents, time and document requirements,

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

And if the OP has a copy of the passport and tells hotel check-in etc., that his passport is 'at the embassy', there really should be no issues. Submit the visa application, go do the 10 days medication and the passport will be ready.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I was looking at this site which seems to have been updated pretty recently ; https://www.theopportunistictravelers.com/blog/2016/8/2/how-to-get-a-chinese-visa-in-bangkok 
I guess the best option is to contact them and ask.

19 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

hong kong can take weeks or more....if you do it yourself.

established agents have the requisite "guanxi" to get it

done in 2-3 days.

the thorntree (lonely planet) forums have a sticky at the

top of the china section with the latest info on visas,

recommended agents, time and document requirements,

Thanks for the advice, will look into the forums and contact an agency in Hong Kong as well.

A bit off topic I am looking for a 120 days visa with multiple entries.

4 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

And if the OP has a copy of the passport and tells hotel check-in etc., that his passport is 'at the embassy', there really should be no issues. Submit the visa application, go do the 10 days medication and the passport will be ready.

Yep, he will also have the embassy receipt to back it up.

?

7 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Subtle.

• Like 1

There is a store in Chiang Rai that copies passport info and reduces it down to credit card size. Then just have that card in the wallet. It's been accepted by the roadblock police. Before that I used a photocopy.

It's Thai law to show I.D. to buy a train ticket but not many places ask.