potato shortage

soalbundy

35 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

In Tesco-Lotus (Surin ) the staff say they haven't had a potato delivery for 3 weeks

In Tesco-Lotus (Surin), the branch manager doesn't have a clue about ordering stuff?

Having said that, the selection in makro Udon Thani was quite poor a couple of days before Christmas. Sign said they were Dutch imports and they are usually good but the ones I got were from the bottom of the sack. Probably just a seasonal shortage in the provinces.

Edited by NanLaew

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually it was the Irish that suffered and died.

0001.png

On quite good authority, the Irish potato famine is a myth.

They just forgot where they planted them, apparently.............................:tongue:

3 hours ago, KhunMhee said:

1 big question. Is there a large Irish population in Surin? If so just head to their places and borrow a few. When it comes to potatoes always blame the Irish!

Better to blame the British for the calamitous consequences of the potato famine.

I suppose your comment is an attempt at humor.  Hilarious. 

During the famine, about one million people died and a million more emigrated from Ireland, causing the island's population to fall by between 20% and 25%

The [British] government’s grudging and ineffective measures to relieve the famine’s distress intensified the resentment of British rule among the Irish people. Similarly damaging was the attitude among many British intellectuals that the crisis was a predictable and not-unwelcome corrective to high birth rates in the preceding decades and perceived flaws, in their opinion, in the Irish national character.

55 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Better to blame the British for the calamitous consequences of the potato famine.

I suppose your comment is an attempt at humor.  Hilarious. 

Anger I sense. Was funny to joke about last month at the Irish Chamber golf tournament at Royal. Guess some are past bitter old wounds

Few potato's here too . Sadly quite expensive in supermarket : 35 to 39 B/kg. At the market 40 B , sometimes 30 B when you buy 10 kilo.

Just not worth it . 1 kg flour : 23 B , 1 kg wet rice : 4 B , 1 kg wet spaggetti : about 50 B.

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

In Tesco-Lotus (Surin), the branch manager doesn't have a clue about ordering stuff?

Having said that, the selection in makro Udon Thani was quite poor a couple of days before Christmas. Sign said they were Dutch imports and they are usually good but the ones I got were from the bottom of the sack. Probably just a seasonal shortage in the provinces.

Mrs L got some stonkers in Big C Udon Thani just before xmas. Great as baked jackets.

I wonder if its a knock on from the 2017 harvest which was poor as I understand it. Possibly wholesalers getting a good pre xmas price in Europe.

Just a guess. 

38 minutes ago, lagavulin1 said:

Mrs L got some stonkers in Big C Udon Thani just before xmas. Great as baked jackets.

I wonder if its a knock on from the 2017 harvest which was poor as I understand it. Possibly wholesalers getting a good pre xmas price in Europe.

Just a guess. 

I went to Big C today in Prasat (next to Lotus) they had masses of spuds, all good quality stuff as well, I didn't go before thinking that if Tesco didn't have any then Big C wouldn't either, I forgot about the general incompetence of branch managers about ordering things in advance. I got to thinking there really was a world wide shortage.

I got my kilogram from Tesco delivery just the other day.
I agree it is probably an ordering problem, as they seem always to be in the fresh market here in Bang Saray.
Of course they may have just gotten their once in three weeks delivery. :smile:
They are almost always out of something I order.

9 hours ago, KhunMhee said:

1 big question. Is there a large Irish population in Surin? If so just head to their places and borrow a few. When it comes to potatoes always blame the Irish!

Most of the Irish I know would be more upset if the Guiness taps ran dry than worrying about a few taters

If you couldn;t get potatos in Pattaya the pommy expats would top themselves . Particulary if the couldn't get chips around the Lk metro fat bastard breakfast places for the bangers and mash.

Got some yesterday in a roadside stall. No shortages here.

4 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Prey tell , why doesn't the niece nitnoi like you.   Just tell me not every one else.

I knew I was gonna havta deal with this at one time or another...

many years ago inna thavisa forum far far away there was a post describing how tutsi hadta lie to his distressed little niece and to tell her that he wasn't going anywhere and that he would stay at home with her forever...then to sneak off to the airport in the middle of the night while she was sleeping to go back to work in the middle east...

and so it came to pass, uncle tutsi was a liar...in the avatar quite simply she is visibly displeased...and I display her suffering little countenance everyday to remind myself of the evil that adults do...

'liar!'...'but my darling, if I don't go off to work how're we gonna eat?'...'don't care, ye can load trucks with 50kg bags of rice on yer back down the market fer 300 baht per day; at least them dudes are honest...'

8 hours ago, Black arab said:

Presume your english so par for the course "racist"

LOL so Irish is a race now? Sometimes this forum gets stupider by the minute. Its called humour for a reason kiddo go find some. And no I'm not english