British man dies suddenly in Thailand one month after getting married

webfact

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Sigh.

Even when you publish the facts it seems people prefer to just ignore them and make crap up to try and justify their preconceived notions and prejudices.

It seems Mr Diamond had over 19 years of experience living in Thailand. He wasn't some wide-eyed, fresh off the plane, n00b that got hitched to the first woman that smiled at him after arriving.

He got sick around mid-December and went to the hospital in Udon Thani. He was diagnosed with Dengue Fever. A few days later (on 20 Dec) he slipped into a coma and died.

As he was in a hospital and diagnosed with a disease (that ended up killing him) it is unlikely that an autopsy would have been done. My dad was in a hospital in Pattaya when he passed on (from advanced lung cancer) and they didn't do an autopsy either because they already knew what killed him and could complete the Death Certificate.

It appears that shortly after his death, Mr Diamond's body was taken to a temple in his wife's home village where they had a lengthy ceremony (3 days) and then the cremation on the evening of 25 December.
In the case of my father, he died on a Saturday afternoon. As a result, it took us 5 days to get the paperwork, make the trip to the Embassy in Bangkok and then make the arrangements with the temple. He was cremated (after a short, 1 day ceremony) on the 6th day. I'm not sure if Mr Diamond's wife made the trip to the Embassy in Bangkok (though the hospital and the temple would have no doubt mentioned that there was certain paperwork that would be needed before the cremation could be done). I noted in the news article that Mr Diamond's relative(s) were under the impression that the "ceremony" had taken place in Bangkok and Udon Thani so there may have been some miscommunication going on there and "Bangkok" was mentioned because of the need to go to the Embassy.

As for Dengue Fever, when I saw that on his wife's Facebook post I too looked it up. It has been in the news recently (in Thailand) and just before Christmas a friend of my girlfriend died. She too had been diagnosed with Dengue Fever. 

Dengue Fever:

Symptoms

In some cases, Dengue infection is asymptomatic – persons do not exhibit symptoms. Those with symptoms get ill between 4 to 7 days after the bite. The infection is characterized by flu-like symptoms which include a sudden high fever coming in separate waves, pain behind the eyes, muscle, joint, and bone pain, severe headache, and a skin rash with red spots. Treatment includes supportive care of symptoms. There is no antiviral treatment available. 

The illness may progress to Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF). Symptoms include severe abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, bruising, and uncontrolled bleeding. High fever can last from 2 to 7 days. Complications can lead to circulatory system failure and shock, and can be fatal (also known as Dengue Shock Syndrome).

Come on, Kerryd, you're being sensible now, please stop it.   I wouldn't be surprised if that contravenes one of the forum rules

21 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Doesn't say how old the new Thai wife was?  If a lot younger, and a lot of Mattress Mambo was involved, that might explain things.  Or a large insurance policy in the new wife's name.  Don't mean to sound cynical, but this sort of thing is common in the Land of Fake Smiles. 

Does the story say he married a Thai person?

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

make the trip to the Embassy in Bangkok //  trip to the Embassy in Bangkok //the "ceremony" had taken place in Bangkok and Udon Thani so there may have been some miscommunication going on there and "Bangkok" was mentioned because of the need to go to the Embassy.

(Cut-and-shut for convenience in order to highlight the below point

Embassy LoR (Letter of Release) are free of charge, not least because of the additional stress caused to grieving families having to dabble in foreign currency/language in order to pay. Originals are delivered to Thai addresses by EMS to be copied and distributed by recipients as per a previous post. If asked to do so the Embassy will scan & email a copy in order to speed things up, and can fax the hospital direct (if time is a problem/to beat a Bank Holiday) authorizing the release ahead of the recovery (by family or funeral director) of mortal remains.

Edited by evadgib

3 hours ago, mitsubishi said:

Thailand has Dengue fever? Was he living in a marsh?

Or was it some sort of poison to mimic or similar symptoms?

My Thai FIL died last month of Dengue fever in BKK. He had been in hospital for about 6 weeks and was sent home to die, simply because at 80 they could not cure him.

Up until he caught Dengue he was pretty fit and healthy. My wife showed me a photo of him when they took him home and he had lost so much weight and looked a bit like a skeleton.

He died 3 days later.

It is definitely NOT the way I want to go.

There are just too many  stupid, uneducated and ignorant people  spouting off.  How so many people opine with no knowledge of the deceased's medical condition or the fact that he died in hospital of an illness is amazing. 

On 12/29/2017 at 2:19 AM, tracker1 said:

Unfortunately many foreigners seem to die in Thailand !

Well, when the  foreigners are mostly elderly and in poor physical health, what do you expect?  Having just returned from Pattaya, I was shocked by the large numbers of aged, morbidly obese, chain smoking, physically unwell people of all nationalities on display.  Western foreigners in Thailand as a whole are some of the most physically infirm people of their national origin. People who drink, smoke and do little exercise die in their 40's, 50's and 60's. Only a minority live past age 70 and even then they will have heart disease, or diabetes or lung disease etc.

On 12/29/2017 at 2:26 AM, CanuckThai said:

Strange rules reporting cause of death and an appropriate autopsy.  RIP

Question: Is an autopsy automatically provided by Thai medical authorities upon a death?  Or does it have to be requested and paid for by the deceased's family?  

An embassy can request the autopsy. The death was in the hospital. It is mandatory that a post mortem be  undertaken. 

On 12/29/2017 at 2:56 PM, Kerryd said:

According to posts on his wife's Facebook page, he was in the hospital in Udon Thani when he died. The doctors apparently

diagnosed him with Dengue Fever. He went into a coma and died on 20 Dec. It appears they did the cremation at her home village on the 25th (looks like it was at 3 day ceremony at least).

The money he left her prob paid fro all that Every Tom Dick and Harry would of been there drinking free booze on the scotsman

On 12/29/2017 at 2:19 PM, tracker1 said:

Many people die every day all over the world.

This guy was 62.  I've had friends in their 30's, 40's and 50's drop dead of sudden heart attacks, strokes, drug overdoses etc   

There is nothing unusual about a 62 year old dying.

I have a friend that lived down the street to me. Got stomach cramps and died two days later on the floor in the bathroom. Wife said he didn't want to see a doctor. She found him dead after she left the house and left him alone  for 6 hours. No autopsy. He was burned two days later. He was just getting readycto leave her and go back to the state.

I had dengue fever when I  was 19 years old and very healthy and strong, living in Indonesia, which came to withing an inch of killing me then.  This guy was 62 so it is very possible..

Having said that though I am reminded of that old story in Thailand about the village whose men were all off to war when the Burmese came to town.  The women sauntered out and cozied up to them and invited them into the village where they quickly poisoned them all and then ran away.

Dengue fever is a terrible disease. I knew a young guy in his early twenties caught it twice in Sri Lanka and he thought he was going to die both times.  According to him it's even worse when you get it the second time.

Edited by Slain

5 hours ago, Just Weird said:

In the real world, outside of that which is occupied by some people, what would be fishy would be if he wasn't dead before an autopsy was finalised.

In the real world, the remains aren't cremated until the autopsy has been finalized. Once the "evidence" is destroyed, there's no going back. 

If, for whatever reason, the British authorities or his family want to have a second opinion on the cause of death, then what? 

I'm glad you find this man's mysterious death amusing. Let's hope there are no doubts about your passing when the time comes. 

S**t like this can only happen in a third world, backward country. Yes, I love it here, but sometimes it feels like this is what life in 17th century Europe must have been like. 

8 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Sigh.

Even when you publish the facts it seems people prefer to just ignore them and make crap up to try and justify their preconceived notions and prejudices.

It seems Mr Diamond had over 19 years of experience living in Thailand. He wasn't some wide-eyed, fresh off the plane, n00b that got hitched to the first woman that smiled at him after arriving.

He got sick around mid-December and went to the hospital in Udon Thani. He was diagnosed with Dengue Fever. A few days later (on 20 Dec) he slipped into a coma and died.

As he was in a hospital and diagnosed with a disease (that ended up killing him) it is unlikely that an autopsy would have been done. My dad was in a hospital in Pattaya when he passed on (from advanced lung cancer) and they didn't do an autopsy either because they already knew what killed him and could complete the Death Certificate.

It appears that shortly after his death, Mr Diamond's body was taken to a temple in his wife's home village where they had a lengthy ceremony (3 days) and then the cremation on the evening of 25 December.
In the case of my father, he died on a Saturday afternoon. As a result, it took us 5 days to get the paperwork, make the trip to the Embassy in Bangkok and then make the arrangements with the temple. He was cremated (after a short, 1 day ceremony) on the 6th day. I'm not sure if Mr Diamond's wife made the trip to the Embassy in Bangkok (though the hospital and the temple would have no doubt mentioned that there was certain paperwork that would be needed before the cremation could be done). I noted in the news article that Mr Diamond's relative(s) were under the impression that the "ceremony" had taken place in Bangkok and Udon Thani so there may have been some miscommunication going on there and "Bangkok" was mentioned because of the need to go to the Embassy.

As for Dengue Fever, when I saw that on his wife's Facebook post I too looked it up. It has been in the news recently (in Thailand) and just before Christmas a friend of my girlfriend died. She too had been diagnosed with Dengue Fever. 

Dengue Fever:

Symptoms

In some cases, Dengue infection is asymptomatic – persons do not exhibit symptoms. Those with symptoms get ill between 4 to 7 days after the bite. The infection is characterized by flu-like symptoms which include a sudden high fever coming in separate waves, pain behind the eyes, muscle, joint, and bone pain, severe headache, and a skin rash with red spots. Treatment includes supportive care of symptoms. There is no antiviral treatment available. 

The illness may progress to Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF). Symptoms include severe abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, bruising, and uncontrolled bleeding. High fever can last from 2 to 7 days. Complications can lead to circulatory system failure and shock, and can be fatal (also known as Dengue Shock Syndrome).

...sure..if the treating doctor is prepared to issue a Death Certificate then thats the end of it, it does not become a Coronial Inquiry; the police do not get involved and the body is released for burial or cremation...sympathies re your dads' passing.

On 12/29/2017 at 2:26 AM, CanuckThai said:

Strange rules reporting cause of death and an appropriate autopsy.  RIP

Question: Is an autopsy automatically provided by Thai medical authorities upon a death?  Or does it have to be requested and paid for by the deceased's family?  

It is best to prepay your autopsy prior to setting foot in Thailand.

It is unlikely that the real reason will be known and after a hospital have given their explanation for the death nobody will question that.  When living in Thailand we were witness to dozens of  diagnosis's that were completely wrong  including cancer and MS.

We are cynical when we hear reports like these but that is born out by the hundreds (probably thousands) of suspicious deaths involving foreigners when attached to Thai wives/husbands.  Thai's can certainly be creative when finding ways of extracting cash from us naïve farangs

2 hours ago, dunroaming said:

It is unlikely that the real reason will be known and after a hospital have given their explanation for the death nobody will question that.  When living in Thailand we were witness to dozens of  diagnosis's that were completely wrong  including cancer and MS.

We are cynical when we hear reports like these but that is born out by the hundreds (probably thousands) of suspicious deaths involving foreigners when attached to Thai wives/husbands.  Thai's can certainly be creative when finding ways of extracting cash from us naïve farangs

Actually "we" are not cynical though you may be. Please don't assume that everybody is like you as many of us are not.

Not every farang who marries a Thai lady just arrived in Thailand and fell out of the nearest banana tree.

The guy who died had been here some 19 years and had probably known his wife for quite a while before they married.

He died in hospital of Dengue fever and believe me that is not a nice way to go.

The older you are when you get dengue the first time the harder it is to survive. If you get when you are younger it is easier to survive but if you catch it again the odds are against you.

I cannot understand how petty people can be on this forum especially when the facts are presented and they ignore them to pursue their own agenda.

5 hours ago, djayz said:

In the real world, the remains aren't cremated until the autopsy has been finalized. Once the "evidence" is destroyed, there's no going back. 

If, for whatever reason, the British authorities or his family want to have a second opinion on the cause of death, then what? 

I'm glad you find this man's mysterious death amusing. Let's hope there are no doubts about your passing when the time comes. 

S**t like this can only happen in a third world, backward country. Yes, I love it here, but sometimes it feels like this is what life in 17th century Europe must have been like. 

In the real world a postmortem is not always necessary, such as is possible in this case where the deceased had been hospitalised for some time and had become comatose.  But who says a postmortem has not been done?  The family said that they did not know the cause of his death, maybe due to distance and language issues; they did not say that the cause of death was unknown.

His immediate family (next of kin) was his wife here in Thailand, not whatever family he had in the UK, she makes the call on whether the official cause of death is acceptable.  

It's inane that you think that I was amused by his death, I'd love to hear how you justify that opinion. 

So far, no sh*t has been shown to have happened so what has been so innocuous in this case could very easily happen anywhere else in the world, even in a 3rd world country and Thailand is not one of those.

Edited by Just Weird

I'd bet that more Thais die in Thailand than foreigners, foreigners die in Thailand simply because they are residing here when they expire.

8 hours ago, taiwanatoa said:

So a local man died as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Yes, but not as well, as the OP makes very clear.  The report that Thaivisa re-published was from his original home town, or thereabouts, so the only person to die was local.

Edited by Just Weird

On 12/29/2017 at 8:07 PM, gk10002000 said:

Since he was hospitalized, I would naively hope there was blood and urine and tissue samples available for toxicology analysis, poisoning checks etc. 

toxicology will be all negative is the wife opened a jar full of dengue laden mosquitoes in her tirak's bedroom as she left to visit her brother for a week.

On 12/29/2017 at 2:10 PM, Face Rip said:

Well that's the thing.

It's not the fact that he died but how he died and whether we will really know the true cause.. how long does an autopsy take to conduct anyways? 

Oh wait there was a cremation 

Under normal routine the cremation cannot proceed until various paperwork is produced, which involves the police. Here in Pattaya the obligatory autopsy can be done locally, if there is 'no reason' to suspect suspicious circumstances. I felt it is a 'superficial' one.

But if there is inheritance or money involved, the body would have to go to Bangkok for a supposedly more thorough one.

There is nothing in the article to suggest suspicious circumstances, the recent marriage may well have been to simplify things if he suspected his own ill health.

A sad case.

Edited by jacko45k

cos there not street smart, and have this desire to be loved and marry by some young bird young enough to be their grand daughter. just another victim, :sorry: RIP