Survey shows one in every three high school students visits beer gardens

rooster59

Survey shows one in every three high school students visits beer gardens

beer.png

As beer brewers are making good business selling beer at beer gardens in the capital and tourist towns in the provinces during the New Year festive season, the Alcohol Control Committee has voiced concern over high number of teenagers visiting beer gardens.

The committee’s call for action came after the latest survey showed one out of every three high school students used to visit and drink beer at beer gardens although the law prohibit selling of alcohol beverages to youth under 18 years old.

According to the Thai Health Promotion Foundation-commissioned survey which was released on Thursday (Dec 28), one out of every high school students, or 34% of all high school students, had at least visited a beer garden once.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/survey-shows-one-every-three-high-school-students-visits-beer-gardens/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-30

Where do you want them to go? libraries and museums? no beer there,

and the  women in these places don't hold a candle to the beer girls right?...

as for the under age, yeah right, like they goona pay attention to what the

laws says when half the fun is breaking the law.... 

Usually, the more you prohibit something, the more people want to try it. 

Teach teenagers to control their drinking, it's something to be consumed responsibly.  Don't let the drink control YOU. 

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

one out of every high school students, or 34% of all high school students, had at least visited a beer garden once.

potentially bad news for us beer drinkers;

the ultra conservative 'government' we now endure might knee-jerk this  one into some inane restrictions 

Just wondering what place "beer gardens" have under the law?
The age for "public consumption" is 20, but there is no legal limit for private drinking in private places. In other words teens can legally get schnockered at home.
Perhaps a "beer garden" is a loophole under those considerations.?
I know the legal status of "beer gardens" is not entirely certain since what, 2015?

Edited by Bill Miller

When in high school we used to run to New York state where the drinking age was 18 to buy beer. At 16 I looked older than 18, so had no trouble at all.
A number of nations establish the legal age as 16. A few have no restriction. Many, like Thailand, have no restriction on "private", i.e. at home, consumption.
Amusingly the UK has a minimum age of five for in home consumption; "It'll stunt yer growth!"

So, it's illegal for under 18's to drink alcohol in Thailand. It's the same in the UK but the UK govt came up with a pretty simple and extremely effective method of enforcing the law: prove your age by showing I/D card, if asked. It's the same in most other developed countries . . . why does school-kids drinking beer need to be a problem, here, in the back-woods of Thailand? Well, you'd think it was the back-woods, so far is Thailand behind most of the rest of the world and the worrying thing, for me, is that very few people seem to give a shit. As long as there's food going in the in-door every day, that's all they want or expect from the PTB.

Why is the Thai govt so slow to do pretty well anything and everything . . . from abysmal road-safety to non-existent alcohol policing; from abysmal education standards to abysmal immigration control at airports . . . everything in Thailand just seems to be too much trouble.

Edited by Ossy
clarity

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:40 AM, YetAnother said:

potentially bad news for us beer drinkers;

the ultra conservative 'government' we now endure might knee-jerk this  one into some inane restrictions 

What . . . like possessing a bottle opener?

I have the solution:

• Beer Gardens should be off limits to all Thai Police, no chance of tea money scams.
  • All motorcycles and cars have to be parked in the same place. 
  • All patrons have to be breathalyzed before  allowing to leave the premisis with their car or motorcycle.

This was the kids have their fun, will most certainly be drunk, but can't drive home  -  Only sober designated drivers can drive the cars or Motorcycles

Yeah I know, Nevah Hoppen Here!!  Their answer is to propose to Ban Beer Gardens.think I read that a couple weeks ago.