Bring tools to Thailand

Captor

Hi

I have bought some small property in Bangkok and now I want to make some carpentry there.

I have a lot of tools at my home in Sweden and was thinking why buy new in Thailand if I can bring some from home.

So I wonder if that is allowed? I am thinking of some basic tools like screwdrivers, drilling machine (not with battery), hammer, wrench, nippers and similar.

Is there a problem in bringing that in to Thailand in the custom?

You are free to ship tools from your home country.

That being said the Customs department is free to levy whatever duty  is deemed appropriate by  a Customs officer.   i have never gotten a handle on how duty is assessed.

I found it to be a kind of "Black Hole".

Good luck

just this morning I had exactly this conversation with my buddy in Korrat .

We are building a house right now in Khon Kaen and will be retiring full tome there next year. I have a lot of good quality tools in the US and I would like to bring some of them to Thailand if it was cost effective.  Part of my challenge is the difference of voltage from the US to Thailand. SO.

If you are married to a Thai, and your wife has lived a length of time ( not sure what it is) out of Thailand she has the one time right to bring her personal  used items home without paying import duty.

So I am thinking a small container for me. Lawn Mower , pressure washer, weed wacker, should be no problem because they are gas powered. Some furniture, pictures books, clothes pots, pans. etc. Non electric tools, Washer Dryer and oven stove maybe, (all 220v), and tools such as rechargeables, that can be used with a transformer.

I am not sure of thes cost . will look in to it  and see if it is worth the trouble. or if for the cost I can buy everything there.

But if you have a wife, look into the wife repatriation option.

Most hand tools are 10% duty. Most power tools are exempted from duty. On top of duty you need to pay 7% VAT. All above calculated on cost of goods plus shipping plus insurance. 

Value of the goods can be assessed by customs official based on similar products for sale in Thailand, if no original invoices are present, or self declared value is not believable.

Regardles of the above. Just fill a suitcase and take your chances at the airport when flying in. They only seem to care about ciggies and alcohol and high value items such as designer bags.  

2 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Most hand tools are 10% duty. Most power tools are exempted from duty. On top of duty you need to pay 7% VAT. All above calculated on cost of goods plus shipping plus insurance. 

Value of the goods can be assessed by customs official based on similar products for sale in Thailand, if no original invoices are present, or self declared value is not believable.

Regardles of the above. Just fill a suitcase and take your chances at the airport when flying in. They only seem to care about ciggies and alcohol and high value items such as designer bags.  

In other words it is up to the discretion of whatever customs officer you draw in the   Customs   lottery.

22 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

In other words it is up to the discretion of whatever customs officer you draw in the   Customs   lottery.

Yes, if you take your chances with the green channel at the airport, hoping you get it in for free. If they do stop you , the fine is up to 300% of the actual duties. 

No, if you officially declare and import. Duties are fixed based on harmonized system codes, and not up to any customs official. 

I've imported all kinds of things and never had any surprise in what to pay. Just make sure real value, description in English and Thai, along with HS codes is on accompanying invoice. 

2 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Yes, if you take your chances with the green channel at the airport, hoping you get it in for free. If they do stop you , the fine is up to 300% of the actual duties. 

No, if you officially declare and import. Duties are fixed based on harmonized system codes, and not up to any customs official. 

I've imported all kinds of things and never had any surprise in what to pay. Just make sure real value, description in English and Thai, along with HS codes is on accompanying invoice. 

I understand.  

He said bring so I guess that precludes  shipping said  tools.

I stand corrected.

50 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Every time I come to Thailand I bring something, last time i brought a ratchet set and a vent for my Dryer. Being doing it for about ten years now, (maybe I am lucky) but I never had a problem.

Actually I don't think anyone ever looked at our bags.

10 hours ago, Captor said:

I have bought some small property in Bangkok and now I want to make some carpentry there.

I have a lot of tools at my home in Sweden and was thinking why buy new in Thailand if I can bring some from home.

So I wonder if that is allowed? I am thinking of some basic tools like screwdrivers, drilling machine (not with battery), hammer, wrench, nippers and similar.

Is there a problem in bringing that in to Thailand in the custom?

If those are the items you are thinking to bring in then just buy them. They will likely be of lower quality but the cost will be lower as well. The customs lottery could cost you much more, if you were looking at larger high cost or speciality items then shipping would be the way to go. Just my thoughts anyway either way if you try to ship them good luck and hope you get the right agent appraising!

when I originally moved here I brought my work tools with me, it included much of my painting gear(brushes, rollers. sleeves, frames extension handles, trays, drop sheets etc) and most of my hand tools(hammers, screw drivers, blades, saws, files, squares, levels etc), no tax was asked for 

I brought over a bunch of hand tools in suitcases and no issues.  I brought over complete Craftsman socket sets etc etc

When I finally moved here from the US I loaded a container with tools and it was the best thing I ever did. TRUST ME.  The stuff available here is utter junk and what you might find that is acceptable will cost you a lot and you will still be frustrated.

@ Sirineou

If you are going to bring tools over I would be glad to offer some suggestions if interested based on my experience especially if you have a yard and want to maintain it. Also do not worry about the 110V 60hz 220v 50hz stuff.  They make some outstanding converters.  Originally I was going to sell all my tools and buy here.  That was advice given to me years back.  Glad I didn't.  Would have dumped high quality tools at pennies on the dollar to spend premium to buy subpar here.

Edited by JAFO

I had along think about this, either i bought new because tool are probably cheaper in Thailand, but you may only use them a few times, I went down the road of employing a Recommended Thai man who had all His own tools, but literally stood over him while he worked under the pretext of helping him. He was a good worker, and even now i can borrow his tools for a beer or two,

8 hours ago, JAFO said:

The stuff available here is utter junk and what you might find that is acceptable will cost you a lot and you will still be frustrated.

I have not found that the case with tools bought here even in our out of the way province.

15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I have not found that the case with tools bought here even in our out of the way province.

May I ask what tools you have purchased and how often you use them.  

Just curious 

32 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Just curious 

I have bought mostly junk handtools in Thailand, although it was cheap they're mostly Chinese crap and will break easily with even modest use..... 

I have brought a toolbag with mechanics tools ( sockets, wrenches etc ) and on another occasion a plastic toolbox with diy tools in and never had a problem.

I have also bought 2 cordless drills in the uk and brought them in no problem, putting the drill in checked bag and the li-ion batteries in hand luggage with tape on the terminals.

My bags have been through the x-ray on a couple of occasions exiting the baggage claim at Swampy but never opened, it appears that they rarely stop people !

There are levels of Quality even with name brand stuff like Bosch etc , products in poorer countries are built to a price point , 

My friend from Switzerland  always brings European sold electric tools as they are much better , 

I doubt you would have much problem with your own used tools ,  if they were new in the box they may think they are for resale and want import duty

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

Just curious 

I have had sockets that were weaker than the nuts , screwdrivers tips breaking of on relatively low torque jobs

Spanners bending, ratchets losing the ability to change between clockwise and counter clockwise

Things I have never seen before using regular western tools... 

Some of them might as well have been made of chocolate :smile:

I don't know if they're is counterfeiting of branded tools but I would not be surprised 

On 1/1/2018 at 1:18 PM, sirineou said:

Washer Dryer and oven stove maybe, (all 220v)

Be careful bringing US 220V appliances, they are intended to operate on 110-0-110V (or 120-0-120V) split phase supplies and will likely need one of the 110/120V legs to operate the controls, also timers may run slow.

The 60Hz / 50Hz change may or may not be an issue, 60Hz motors can be built with less iron in the cores and may saturate on 50Hz leading to overheating and premature failure. Intermittent use items (drills, blender etc) will likely be fine, but stuff that runs for long periods (like your dryer) may experience problems.

Also, I would change the plugs on your 110V tools, possibly to the yellow 110V "Commando" plug to be absolutely certain that mistakes cannot occur.

These:-

MKK9000YEL.JPG

On 1/1/2018 at 8:18 AM, sirineou said:

We are building a house right now in Khon Kaen and will be retiring full tome there next year. I have a lot of good quality tools in the US and I would like to bring some of them to Thailand if it was cost effective.  Part of my challenge is the difference of voltage from the US to Thailand. SO.

If you are married to a Thai, and your wife has lived a length of time ( not sure what it is) out of Thailand she has the one time right to bring her personal  used items home without paying import duty.

So I am thinking a small container for me. Lawn Mower , pressure washer, weed wacker, should be no problem because they are gas powered. Some furniture, pictures books, clothes pots, pans. etc. Non electric tools, Washer Dryer and oven stove maybe, (all 220v), and tools such as rechargeables, that can be used with a transformer.

I am not sure of thes cost . will look in to it  and see if it is worth the trouble. or if for the cost I can buy everything there.

Thai electricity is 50hz not 60 hz like in USA.  Even if the voltage is the same, they will probably not work (things with AC motors).  Things that are digitally controlled like tvs and such can often be multi voltage.  Just read the UL label on the back to see.

On 1/1/2018 at 8:18 PM, sirineou said:

If any one is interested, the rules are:

For returning Thai Citizens (holding Thai Passport), shipper can import his/her Used Household Goods into Thailand on the Duty-Free basis only if he/she has ALL the following qualifications:
1 Shipper is still holding the Thai Passport.
2 Shipper has been traveling in-and-out of Thailand and in-and-out of the Origin Country by using Thai Passport only.
3 Shipper has lived in the Origin Country at least one full year: counting only the time Shipper stayed there
4 During his stay in the Origin Country in the recent two years before returning to land, shipper may occasionally return to Thailand but must not stay in Thailand for more than 3 months on each visit. Otherwise, the counting of number of stay will start over.
5 Shipper has some docs or stamp in Shipper passport showing that Shipper had the residence in the Origin Country: not just "staying as tourist".
6 Shipment arrives at Bangkok Port no earlier than one month and no later than six months of Shipper return to Thailand.
7 Shipper has never imported any used household goods shpt into Thailand on the Duty-Free basis before.

Documents required for formality:
1 Copy Thai I.D. card (front, back)
2 Copy Thai House Registration (page with house address, page with shipper’s name)
3 Original Passport (expired book is also required if contain traveling record between Thailand and origin country). Please advise Shipper NOT to pack any expired passports in the shipment because Thai Customs may require to look at the expired passport too.
4 Official Past traveling record from Thai Immigration Office in lieu of incomplete Thai Immigration Stamp via the use of automatic channel

the "one full year" away doesn't have to be in one lump.  As long as at least 365 days have been spent away, with any trips to Thailand not longer than 3 months, it will add up.

In case the immigration auto-gate has been used and not every trip has a corresponding stamp in the passport, number 4 in the second list is a surprisingly easy thing to get at Suan Plu in Bangkok.

13 hours ago, speedtripler said:

I have had sockets that were weaker than the nuts , screwdrivers tips breaking of on relatively low torque jobs

Spanners bending, ratchets losing the ability to change between clockwise and counter clockwise

Things I have never seen before using regular western tools... 

Some of them might as well have been made of chocolate :smile:

I don't know if they're is counterfeiting of branded tools but I would not be surprised 

My experience is exactly the same.  open end wrenches that expand when tightening a nut.  Sockets that crack or round off. Shovels that buckle and fold up when trying to dig holes or shovel cement because they are not tempered. I bought a Makita saw here to cut cement and it burned up in a few hours of use  Yeah I got to return it but it was a pain in the ass because here what you buy is yours. It's not like the US where you just take it back and they give you a new one, no questions asked.  

I want to be clear, I am not bashing Thailand. I am just supporting the OP and others that you should bring your own tools. 

I brought over a full Craftsman professional tool set on wheels.

True Temper Yard tools,

full size Wheelbarrow with an air filled tired.

Cordless Blower, Edger, weedwhacker by EGO.  (trust me Cordless stuff here is non existent but extremely convenient)

Again though this all depends on what you plan doing here.

11 hours ago, ballpoint said:

If any one is interested, the rules are:

For returning Thai Citizens (holding Thai Passport), shipper can import his/her Used Household Goods into Thailand on the Duty-Free basis only if he/she has ALL the following qualifications:
1 Shipper is still holding the Thai Passport.
2 Shipper has been traveling in-and-out of Thailand and in-and-out of the Origin Country by using Thai Passport only.
3 Shipper has lived in the Origin Country at least one full year: counting only the time Shipper stayed there
4 During his stay in the Origin Country in the recent two years before returning to land, shipper may occasionally return to Thailand but must not stay in Thailand for more than 3 months on each visit. Otherwise, the counting of number of stay will start over.
5 Shipper has some docs or stamp in Shipper passport showing that Shipper had the residence in the Origin Country: not just "staying as tourist".
6 Shipment arrives at Bangkok Port no earlier than one month and no later than six months of Shipper return to Thailand.
7 Shipper has never imported any used household goods shpt into Thailand on the Duty-Free basis before.

Documents required for formality:
1 Copy Thai I.D. card (front, back)
2 Copy Thai House Registration (page with house address, page with shipper’s name)
3 Original Passport (expired book is also required if contain traveling record between Thailand and origin country). Please advise Shipper NOT to pack any expired passports in the shipment because Thai Customs may require to look at the expired passport too.
4 Official Past traveling record from Thai Immigration Office in lieu of incomplete Thai Immigration Stamp via the use of automatic channel

the "one full year" away doesn't have to be in one lump.  As long as at least 365 days have been spent away, with any trips to Thailand not longer than 3 months, it will add up.

In case the immigration auto-gate has been used and not every trip has a corresponding stamp in the passport, number 4 in the second list is a surprisingly easy thing to get at Suan Plu in Bangkok.

Thank you for that info, highly appreciated..

All of the above sound reasonable except item #2

"2 Shipper has been traveling in-and-out of Thailand and in-and-out of the Origin Country by using Thai Passport only.  "

My wife always enters and leaves Thailand on her Thai passport but enters and leaves the US on her US passport . The requirement that she would also enter and leave the US with her Thai passport makes no sense! If she entered the US with her thai passport she would need a visa, and would have visa limited time constraints. My wife and most Thais I know here in the US, are US citizens, why and how would a US Citizen get a visa to enter the US. Does that mean that all the Thai citizens that hold dual citizenship are not afforded the one time duty free repatriation option?

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

Thank you for that info, highly appreciated..

All of the above sound reasonable except item #2

"2 Shipper has been traveling in-and-out of Thailand and in-and-out of the Origin Country by using Thai Passport only.  "

My wife always enters and leaves Thailand on her Thai passport but enters and leaves the US on her US passport . The requirement that she would also enter and leave the US with her Thai passport makes no sense! If she entered the US with her thai passport she would need a visa, and would have visa limited time constraints. My wife and most Thais I know here in the US, are US citizens, why and how would a US Citizen get a visa to enter the US. Does that mean that all the Thai citizens that hold dual citizenship are not afforded the one time duty free repatriation option?

I'm not sure about the dual citizenship.  The list I showed came from the documentation that our shipping agent provided when we moved back to Thailand a couple of years ago.  I was working in a third country, neither Thailand nor my home one.  My wife was using her Thai passport, and had a long term visa and immigration pass, as the spouse of a work permit holder, to prove that she was living out of Thailand.  She traveled back here quite frequently over the three year assignment I had, but never for more than a month at a time.  There weren't many stamps in her passport at all, as she used the auto-gates when arriving in Thailand and her immigration pass when entering and leaving where we were living.  We provided all the requested documents to the shipping agent and took her passport to Suan Plu for the travelling record.  We were in there for about 10 minutes, filling in a form and handing it to the officer there.  The agent collected the record when it was completed and filed the paperwork, and our goods were released from customs with no duties at all. 

I guess the moral to this is to use a good shipping / removal service and make sure they have a proper representative in Thailand.

Regarding 50HZ vs 60HZ this should not be a concern. If you have normal AC motors, it just means that it will rotate slightly slower at 50HZ vs 60HZ.  Japan is half 50HZ and half 60HZ with no problems there.  The only product I have ever heard that HZ change is a problem is with older clocks that run off of house current. With most clocks now being run on batteries this is just not a problem anymore. 

A great source of tools is actually China. Most of the Stanley FatMax line of tools are manufactured here. Hilti makes most of  their rotary hammers here. SNAPON's "Blue point" tools are all made here and very cheap.  

If you want a car lift in your home garage they are shockingly cheap. 

China and Thailand have signed a free trade agreement and most power tools, and heavy tools are all duty free to import from China.  Lincoln Electric makes alot of its professional welders here in China as well as ESAB. I believe you need "COO" Country of Origin certificates to pull this off. 

I really need to find a competent importer who can facilitate this. 

Edited by matthew777

Thank you all for your comments! They are all highly appreciated.

I have in the meantime bring in some hand tools in my luggage and I had no problem. They did not chech my luggage at all. I have decided that I will bring some tools every time I go to Thailand. I have mostly swedish high quality tools that will last at least a lifetime without problem.

I shipped a crate from ny full of tools as for voltage I got a site transformer from uk had no problem ship door to door . I have also taken a lot of the tools back to uk in luggage also no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:09 AM, KhunMhee said:

If those are the items you are thinking to bring in then just buy them. They will likely be of lower quality but the cost will be lower as well. The customs lottery could cost you much more, if you were looking at larger high cost or speciality items then shipping would be the way to go. Just my thoughts anyway either way if you try to ship them good luck and hope you get the right agent appraising!

Why do you assume of "lower" quality? Plenty of good quality power tools available at a "quality" price.

Otherwise just buy cheap tools that can be replaced for a total cost of very little.

I had a Black and Decker junk drill that lasted years.