Yellow House Book

Trying to obtain the Yellow House Book, am male UK, married to a Thai for 5 Years now, I am here on a multi entry Non O visa. 

We have been to the local council office in the town, they are aware of this book, but they are unsure what the need form me.....

This is what we understand so far.

Original Blue House Book

Head of House ID

A letter and ID card of a neighbour who lives near by who can confirm I live at the address

But not sure what they need form me, and if it needs to be translated to thia..... 

If anyone can help...... Thanks 

The attachment shows what was needed at my local Tessaban (not Amphur where we initially went - they couldn't do it but directed us to the Tessaban) just over a year ago but, as has been said, requirements vary from office to office. It was a time-consuming affair but not difficult in Phon. 

The person who'd eventually sign my Yellow Book is a very good friend of my wife and knows me quite well but, even so, there was no skirting their requirements.

Docs. for Yellow Book.pdf

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Add
Passport translated to Thai
Fingerprint you
(PDF wouldn’t open so not sure if already mentioned)

It is not, and this is the first time I have heard of this being required.

All I needed was:

1. Thai translation of my passport (which they allowed me to get locally from a local translation service, but technically I think it is supposed to be certified by your Embassy)

2. Blue book

3. Personal appearance  plus ID card of "house master" - that was very complex in my case because there isn't one, I own the house and have a 30 year lease on the land from a Foundation, eventually they accepted someone from the Foundation staff plus copies of chanote and land lease. For most people this would be more straight forward though if you are renting, getting your land lord to come in might prove a challenge.

I also provided a letter of residence previously obtained from the same ampur. I did nto have to produce any witnesses but I had done so when I had gotten this letter so maybe that is why.

That was all by way of copies, I did have to provide parents names and so forth in Thai spelling.

And I was asked a variety of random questions (why I ever came to Thailand..how much money I have to live on etc) which had no bearing on establishing my residence that I could see, no associated documents, just a lot of patience called for in answering.

but each Ampur is different.

As said before every Amphur is different, mine requested:

Blue book and id of houseowner
The usual copies of my passport showing visa stamps.
Verified copy of my passport from British embassy then translated to Thai at MFA.
MFA translation of my birth certificate into Thai .

Obviously the last two docs caused me some expense !

Upon providing these documents i was ( via my gf ) interviewed by headman and asked for my financial status, if I’d ever taken drugs ( because , according to him, all farangs take drugs ! ) and my marital status, when i replied divorced i was asked to prove it with a translation of my decree nisi/absolute.

It was at this point that the interview finished, I returned his fake smile with a fake smile of my own and never returned.

Have managed to survive living in Thailand for the last 6 months with no yellow book so will continue to do so !!

Amphur Bang Pa-In.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Tell us where your "local council office" is Dave since the requirements can vary from easy to impossible depending on where you are applying.

My Local office is Loeng Nok Tha, which comes under Yasothon, if thats any help

9 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

As said before every Amphur is different, mine requested:

Blue book and id of houseowner
The usual copies of my passport showing visa stamps.
Verified copy of my passport from British embassy then translated to Thai at MFA.
MFA translation of my birth certificate into Thai .

Obviously the last two docs caused me some expense !

Upon providing these documents i was ( via my gf ) interviewed by headman and asked for my financial status, if I’d ever taken drugs ( because , according to him, all farangs take drugs ! ) and my marital status, when i replied divorced i was asked to prove it with a translation of my decree nisi/absolute.

It was at this point that the interview finished, I returned his fake smile with a fake smile of my own and never returned.

Have managed to survive living in Thailand for the last 6 months with no yellow book so will continue to do so !!

Amphur Bang Pa-In.

Thanks.......yes The Biritish  Embassy charge a fortune for nothing!!!!!!! i lived here for two years no yellow book,  though it was going to be straight forward to obtain, but looks like its all a bit of a pain....so might but to the back of my mind....for now

Rule for Yellow Book

If the requirements are easy go ahead and get one

If the requirements are onerous, forget about it since it is not worth the trouble, just to save having to get a Residency Certificate from Immigration or your Embassy for the few times you need it 

Just like the requirements are different in different localities, so too is the value of a Yellow Book. Pattaya Land Transport Office,  for instance,  will not accept a Yellow Book , must obtain a Certificate of Residency

So before you invest a lot of time and effort make sure it is worth it for you 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dave8237 said:

Thanks to all, most helpful, need some paperwork form the UK, and some translation done, so will work on it over the next few months.........

I noticed you are married, usually your marriage documents will be accepted for an MFA translation of yours , and parents, name etc. Thai marriage Docs contain all the Translations required and they are MFA certified etc. It may just be a case of pointing this out to the local ampher.

3 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Rule for Yellow Book

If the requirements are easy go ahead and get one

If the requirements are onerous, forget about it since it is not worth the trouble, just to save having to get a Residency Certificate from Immigration or your Embassy for the few times you need it 

Just like the requirements are different in different localities, so too is the value of a Yellow Book. Pattaya Land Transport Office,  for instance,  will not accept a Yellow Book , must obtain a Certificate of Residency

So before you invest a lot of time and effort make sure it is worth it for you 

Yes agree with you, I am  in no desperate need for it, I heard about it a few moths ago, and as I am now living here, thought it might help, some say it dose others say no.........5 year licence expires mid 2019, so might just put this Yello book on the back burner, and file it.......

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I noticed you are married, usually your marriage documents will be accepted for an MFA translation of yours , and parents, name etc. Thai marriage Docs contain all the Translations required and they are MFA certified etc. It may just be a case of pointing this out to the local ampher.

I married here in Thailand so everything has been translated for that, and of course the cert is in Thai, I will just need my passport translation, but thanks for pointing this out, might make things a little easier.......but then.........will see

Just now, Dave8237 said:

I married here in Thailand so everything has been translated for that, and of course the cert is in Thai, I will just need my passport translation, but thanks for pointing this out, might make things a little easier.......but then.........will see

You will find the only reason they are asking for passport translation, is to get an official (MFA) translation of your name, no other reason. If you point out to them that you already have MFA translation etc. Its often a case of explaining their own rules back to them.

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You will find the only reason they are asking for passport translation, is to get an official (MFA) translation of your name, no other reason. If you point out to them that you already have MFA translation etc. Its often a case of explaining their own rules back to them.

Thanks........will have a chat with them again, and see what happens....

Amphors are all different

My local one is Korat & there was no way I was going to spend thousands,let alone go to all the trouble

They showed me how thick an application was from the ones they had (nightmare )

In my case I am married & have everything translated & stamped - No copies excepted 

Had to be your Original Green stamped Translated Document from the MFA 

I have Thai Lisc - if that's any good or I just get COR for car/ins 

• Thanks 1

If your district office wants a Thai translation of your passport, as most offices do, be sure to give the translator the Thai script for your name which is already on the government record, ie as shown on your marriage certificate.

Once you have the yellow house registration book, always use your Thai name as shown in this book for official and commercial transactions such as pink ID card, driving licence, bank accounts, etc.

• 11 months later...

Reading through this thread about how dfferent Amphurs/Tessabans require differing documents for the application of a yellow Tabian Ban made me wonder, what are the LEGAL requirements set out by the governing body (government dept) for the issuance of said yellow book? I am presuming that there are such legal requirements and that each Amphur/Tessaban adds their own extra requirements to it! - Legal government requirements anyone?

11 minutes ago, Jaray said:

Reading through this thread about how dfferent Amphurs/Tessabans require differing documents for the application of a yellow Tabian Ban made me wonder, what are the LEGAL requirements set out by the governing body (government dept) for the issuance of said yellow book? I am presuming that there are such legal requirements and that each Amphur/Tessaban adds their own extra requirements to it! - Legal government requirements anyone?

I think this is it:

Thai Civil Registration Act 2551 [2008]

Section 21. Section 38 of the Civil Registration Act B.E. 2534 shall be repealed and replaced by the following:

Section 38. The district or local registrar shall issue a household registration for persons without Thai nationality having been permitted to stay temporarily and those having been giving leniency for temporary residence in the Thai Kingdom as a special case in accordance with law on immigration and the declaration of the Cabinet and their children born within the Thai Kingdom. In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons.

The Director of Central Registration shall make profile registration for persons without Thai nationality besides those under paragraph one in accordance with the declaration of the Cabinet.

Registrations under paragraph one and two shall lie in the manner prescribed in the regulations under the discretion of the Director of Central Registration.”

Just received my "Yellow Book" (Tabian Baan) from Lampang Municipal Office.

I took:

1.  Passport, photocopies of ID page + a translation of the latter

2. UK Wedding certificate + photocopy (no translation)

3. House-book and wife's ID + photocopies

4. 2 passport-style photographs

5. Immigration Department Certificate of Residence + photocopy

6. Wife

7.  One Thai witness, a neighbour.

*Very straightforward and simple procedure - front desk checked that my papers seemed in order, then steered us towards a table at which the checking/interview took place.  Asked about pre-retirement occupation, length of residence in Thailand and at current address, names of parents. 

*Responses by wife and witness to various questions (nothing at all difficult) were transcribed onto various forms, some of which I and wife were asked to sign.  Start to finish about one hour (no queue).

Collected Yellow Book four working days later.  

Next step:  Obtain Thai ID card, the procedure for which I'll add to this thread.

Just received my "Yellow Book" (Tabian Baan) from Lampang Municipal Office.

I took:
1.  Passport, photocopies of ID page + a translation of the latter
2. UK Wedding certificate + photocopy (no translation)
3. House-book and wife's ID + photocopies
4. 2 passport-style photographs
5. Immigration Department Certificate of Residence + photocopy
6. Wife
7.  One Thai witness, a neighbour.

*Very straightforward and simple procedure - front desk checked that my papers seemed in order, then steered us towards a table at which the checking/interview took place.  Asked about pre-retirement occupation, length of residence in Thailand and at current address, names of parents. 
*Responses by wife and witness to various questions (nothing at all difficult) were transcribed onto various forms, some of which I and wife were asked to sign.  Start to finish about one hour (no queue).

Collected Yellow Book four working days later.  

Next step:  Obtain Thai ID card, the procedure for which I'll add to this thread.

You did well !

I wish all Amphurs were as easy going !

My amphur ( Bang Pa-in ) requires an arm and a leg to issue a yellow book ( to me anyway) neither of which I was prepared to give !!
  • Like 1

I asked the original question because I live in Sukhothai and when enquiring at the local Tessaban what they required they wanted the following:

1. House Rental Agreement. (I do not own, but rent a house)

2. Marriage Certificate. (I am married to a Thai woman)

3. 4 x 2" photos.

4. Proof of previously working in Thailand. (I am on a 1 year retirement visa annual extension)

5. Passport.

All documents in English to be translated into Thai by the British Embassy in Bangkok and certified as true translation by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, also in Bangkok.

I am not sure what pages of my passport need to be translated - surely they won't need EVERY page where there is English written, ie: the first page with the "Her Britannic Majesty's Secretary of State..." blurb about letting the passport holder travel freely 'without let or hindrance' etc? When I lived in Chiang Mai, all document translations from English to Thai were done by a government certified translation service in Chiang Mai. So easy!

On 1/3/2018 at 7:12 PM, baansgr said:

Your parents names translated to Thai scripture 

Not all places ask for this. My first province did and I just wrote their names.

The second one didn't.

The third one in Bangkok made me send my birth certificate to London to get certified, then stamped by the Thai embassy, then translated into Thai and certified at the ministry of foreign Affairs in Bangkok! And copies of my mother and father's passports.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:
On 12/27/2018 at 3:43 PM, bluesofa said:

In a case of permission of temporary residence overdue, the registrar shall immediately dispose of such persons.

:shock1:

It's official - they're killing off over-stayers.

(It wasn't my translation however)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Post 24 above

Just obtained my Thai ID card from Lampang Municipal Office.

Easy business:

Documents Required:  Passport and Yellow House-Book, with copies of the ID pages in each

A few simple questions (including blood group!).  Photograph and thumbprints taken, all done in under half an hour.  No queue before being attended to.  Polite and good-humoured service throughout.

Onwards to opening a bank account .... (I'll post in the banking forum about that).