Pattaya TAT: New Year hotels up to 80% full - 500 million baht floods into coffers

webfact

Pattaya TAT: New Year hotels up to 80% full - 500 million baht floods into coffers

2pm.jpg

Picture: INN

The head of the Tourism Authority of Thailand in Pattaya painted a rosy picture of New Year celebrations with hotels enjoying 70-80% occupancy across the whole province of Chonburi.

Suladda Sarutilawan said that her figures showed that New Year activities had drawn in 150,000 visitors to the province and they had spent 500 million baht, reported INN.

She cited great events as being the various "countdown" activities especially the Bangsaen Countdown 2018 and the Pattaya Countdown 2018 held at the Bali Hai port area.

Also hotel, department store promotions and religious events had contributed to the visitors.

While many Thais chose to return home to Isan or enjoy the cooler northern weather she said that many people chose Chonburi due to its proximity to Bangkok.

Source: INN

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-05

They are obviously not using the SPEBS index, (SexPat Empty Bar Stool index).

I take any of these claims with a grain of salt. I much prefer the SPEBS index for the "real" data.

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

I'm seeing lots of gangs of Indians; groups of Asians following flags and Russian families.  I think many ex-pats go home for Xmas.

I think you are right, but I also think a lot of Europeans come here especially for Christmas and New Year. Flights are at their most expensive due to the high demand. 

Many visitors can include 3 bank holidays in their leave allocation when they come here. Also some industries; Construction particularly; completely close down for at least a week. Schools, colleges and universities are closed for even longer.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Suladda Sarutilawan said that her figures showed that New Year activities had drawn in 150,000 visitors to the province and they had spent 500 million baht, reported INN.

Just over 3,000 baht each ? Hardly seems a big deal. Over three days that's only 1,000 baht a day.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Just over 3,000 baht each ? Hardly seems a big deal. Over three days that's only 1,000 baht a day.

Which is only 500 million baht, pocket change for our flush, high-rollin' TVF members. You may wish simply to donate a matching amount to your favorite charity. But each baht spent may generate up to 10 times more in tourist revenue, the most important measure.

Edited by JSixpack

5 hours ago, champers said:

I think you are right, but I also think a lot of Europeans come here especially for Christmas and New Year. Flights are at their most expensive due to the high demand. 

Many visitors can include 3 bank holidays in their leave allocation when they come here. Also some industries; Construction particularly; completely close down for at least a week. Schools, colleges and universities are closed for even longer.

I agree.  My first visit to Thailand was over a Christmas break. I worked at a college and I could put together the Christmas and New Year's holidays, plus the students were off for another 2 weeks.  Adding some vacation days, I was able to  leave before Christmas and take about a 4 week break in Thailand without having my fellow employees to cover my job except for a few days.