Trump says he would 'absolutely' talk to North Korea's Kim on phone

rooster59

Trump says he would 'absolutely' talk to North Korea's Kim on phone

By James Oliphant

800x800 (3).jpg

A combination photo shows U.S. President Donald Trump in New York, U.S. September 21, 2017 and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in this undated photo released by North Korea's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) in Pyongyang, September 4, 2017. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque, KCNA/Handout via REUTERS/File Photos

CAMP DAVID, Md. (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday he would "absolutely" be willing to talk on the phone to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and that he hopes a positive development results from talks between North Korea and South Korea.

North Korea agreed on Friday to hold official talks with South Korea next week, the first in more than two years, hours after Washington and Seoul delayed a military exercise amid a standoff over Pyongyang’s nuclear and missile programs.

Trump, answering questions from reporters at the presidential retreat at Camp David, Maryland, expressed a willingness to talk to Kim but not without preconditions.

"Absolutely, I would do that," Trump said. "I have no problem with that at all."

Trump and Kim have exchanged insults ever since Trump took office, with Trump repeatedly calling Kim "rocket man" for testing nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.

Earlier this week Trump dismissed Kim's taunt that the North Korean leader has a nuclear button on his desk, saying he has a bigger button.

The talks between North Korea and South Korea are expected to cover the Winter Olympics, to be held in South Korea next month, and inter-Korean relations.

Trump suggested the talks might lead to an easing of tensions and took credit for the diplomatic breakthrough, saying it was a result of his steady pressure.

"Look, right now they're talking Olympics. It's a start, it's big start. If I weren't involved they wouldn't be talking at all right now," he said.

Kim "knows I'm not messing around. I'm not messing around. Not even a little bit, not even one percent. He understands that," said Trump.

"If something can come out of those talks, that would be a great thing for all of humanity, that would be a great thing for the world," he said.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-07

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

"Look, right now they're talking Olympics. It's a start, it's big start. If I weren't involved they wouldn't be talking at all right now," he said.

Is that because you’re a "very stable genius" and "like, very smart"?

Well, not to encourage Trump trumpeting but previous Presidents, Secretaries of State and even what's his name with the purple hair and the basketball, weren't getting anywhere.   Obama even tried the good old "ignore the bully and he'll go away" approach, but that back fired. 

So Trump trolled the troll, and heck I don't know, maybe he wore the little bugger down at his own game?

I don't think KJU is going to give up a thing but North and South chatting each other up again is a good thing, innit?   In the end, it's them that'll need to get along first.  I reckon the US would like nothing more than to turn the page and get out of there, and hopefully a couple other garden spots as well.

5 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Well, not to encourage Trump trumpeting but previous Presidents, Secretaries of State and even what's his name with the purple hair and the basketball, weren't getting anywhere.  

The last time the two Koreas engaged in official talks was in December 2015.

10 hours ago, 55Jay said:

I don't think KJU is going to give up a thing but North and South chatting each other up again is a good thing, innit?   In the end, it's them that'll need to get along first.  I reckon the US would like nothing more than to turn the page and get out of there, and hopefully a couple other garden spots as well.

I think you are right but unfortunately Trump has made the rhetoric about him and Kim.  It doesn't help with Kim bragging about having nukes that can hit all parts of the USA now.  That is obviously going to bait the man child Trump.  It is best that the North and the South sidestep Trump completely and with China in the background start some dialogue.