PM orders check of high food and drink prices at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports

webfact

2 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Why moan about 1 dollar or so for a bottle of water when you are about to fly to a country where it costs three in a market and five in an airport? Most posters here are skint.

???????????????

When I get to my country I can drink out of the tap if I'm that thirsty at the airport, and bottled water can be bought reasonably cheaply in supermarkets. Haven't needed to buy any recently so don't know price now.

What is noticeable is soft drink prices which are really expensive vs LOS. Just as well I don't drink soft drinks any more.

The real rip off is those so called sports drinks.

The trouble is that he has the bull by the tail.

Try putting a moratorium on the high rent prices charged by AOT & then have a look at the

food & beverage prices.

Please tell if you know the per m2 price they are charging for rent at Swampy.

Would love to know

2 hours ago, jmacken306 said:

I think the PM doesn't travel by plane much, a $1 beer in the store, might be $1.50 in the bar, but in an airport it's around $10 dollars in the USA OH!!! If you take food unto a international flight EAT IT! on the plane and Don't take a free banana from the airplane ( international) thru customs in the USA, the Sniffer Dog will get you! They took the banana away from me, marked my ticket and I had to have my suitcases x-rayed again.

Don't take any food of any description off the plane in New Zealand unless want to be interviewed by customs. ALL food has to be declared. If you don't declare it and it is found in your bag, big fines.

17 minutes ago, moe666 said:

You go to any airport in the world and everything is expensive. They all figure they have a dead fish on the line why not take every thing from it. Easy enough eat before you go

That is not true, there are airports with excellent value for money compared to the local economy. I would cite Singapore Changi and KLIA 1&2 as prime examples.

LIVE UPDATE.............BREAKING NEWS

After receiving the relevant agencies' feedback on the reportedly high prices being charged at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports, following complaints by passengers, there is now an Interpol yellow warning in place against those that complained.

Airport staff and anyone employed within the airport buildings must now report anyone who dares to pass an opinion.

A reward of 50 Baht will be received by anyone who reports such unacceptable behavior.

22 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I used to always eat a Thai meal before I flew back to England, etc. My last bit of Thai food for a few weeks. Last time I paid 260 baht for a kra pow. It wasn't even good. Add to that a few pints in the bar before and you're looking at well over 1000 baht. Now I just pay to enter the lounge. it's about 1000 baht for 2 hours of unlimited food and booze with comfortable chairs and free wifi. The rest of the airport is simply not worth it. 

Why the need to stuff your face with food and booze before a long haul flight?

All airports are rip-offs. Fact of travel life, easy to avoid apart from when in transit.  Try Dubai, 10 quid for a pint of lager. Most duty-free stuff can be found cheaper in any high street.  If something is genuinely cheap, like fags or bringing wine in to Thailand you can only bring in such a small amount the savings are negligible.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, superal said:

Can you say which lounge please ?

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

It's the Thai airways lounge. They have a few. Sorry, it's 1800 baht. I got a reduced price cos of my credit card. 

Never used the BFS lounge, so can't speak for the quality - but the fee is B1,000 according to their website ... https://www.bangkokflightservices.com/home/bfs-services/premium-airport-services/

• Thanks 1

Just now, SpeakeasyThai said:

Why the need to stuff your face with food and booze before a long haul flight?

When you can stuff your face with food and booze for free on most long haul flights

• Like 1

About time when its 30 or 40 baht for a 6 baht bottle of 6 Baht water. A small mark up of a few Baht is understood but 500 or 600% is a con especially when water or other liquids are not allowed. Its only once you are in the departure lounge fountains are available, so its worth taking an empty bottle through.

7 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Never used the BFS lounge, so can't speak for the quality - but the fee is B1,000 according to their website ... https://www.bangkokflightservices.com/home/bfs-services/premium-airport-services/

Thanks for this.  Certainly use it next time for arrivals as it took near 2 hours to get through last time.

23 hours ago, rkidlad said:

I used to always eat a Thai meal before I flew back to England, etc. My last bit of Thai food for a few weeks. Last time I paid 260 baht for a kra pow. It wasn't even good. Add to that a few pints in the bar before and you're looking at well over 1000 baht. Now I just pay to enter the lounge. it's about 1000 baht for 2 hours of unlimited food and booze with comfortable chairs and free wifi. The rest of the airport is simply not worth it. 

"Now I just pay to enter the lounge. it's about 1000 baht for 2 hours of unlimited food and booze with comfortable chairs and free wifi".

Is that right, B1,000 entry and unlimited food and booze?  Whereabouts is that lounge and are they 24 hour lounges?

3 hours ago, phkauf said:

I have more issues with the poor selection of food vendors and the quality than the prices. I travel a lot and every airport vendor has inflated prices, it's just something to deal with.

I truly hate DMK for international for so many reasons, but if I'm there an need to grab something to eat, the selection is horrible. Swampy is only slightly better. 

Why does't the braintrust that runs the AOT fly down to Singapore and spend some time in Changi Airport - the best in the world!! They could learn a thing or hundred from a competently run airport.

To come  marginally close to the Singapore airports  could   possible be more than Thailand can afford.

Singapore is first class as in top shelf.

i'll add some commentary on a few of things that have been discussed:

1.  i recently paid 6.50usd plus tax for a small bottle of water once i passed through customs on arrival to USA (seattle).    i was extremely thirsty otherwise i would have gone w/o it. 

2.  1,000thb to enjoy food, beverage, and wifi at bkk airport seems okay but not great.  i've used a number of the lounges via a business class ticket and the food offerings were not good at all (emirates was an exception, very good lounge).  you can buy heineken at burger king for a reasonable price (for an airport beer).  i can't recall the exact price for a tall can as all my recent long haul flights have left early morning (not quite ready for a beer at 6am). but i do remember feeling it wasn't overpriced when i got one a couple years back.  you can get free wifi at the airport (i believe it is a 2 hr max). 

3.  no family mart or 7-11 at BKK airside but there is a 7-11 airside at DMK.  the 7-11 is near the concourse housing the 30 gates.  there is also a 'food stall' in the concourse housing the 40 gates that sells water for 10thb and leo beer for 85thb (small can). 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2018 at 2:46 PM, shady86 said:

Consumers can decide which shop to patronize but water should be give free or sold at reasonable price because it cannot be brought in.

They confiscate the water you bought at 7/11 for 7 baht and then after you pass through security there isn't a single brand of locally bottled water from Thailand. It's all this Evian and other imported brands. Why do they have to do that? It's a complete set up:bah:

Two things:

1. THey have you by the balls; if you are hungry or thirsty, you'll have to pay top dollar. You have no choice.

2. They don't care if their overpriced food is shit. They think you'll never be back. It's supposed to be shit. It's not like a regular restaurant that wants to cultivate a clientele.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1