Ten pickup drivers charged for ‘hooning’ in Chalong

rooster59

Ten pickup drivers charged for ‘hooning’ in Chalong

Eakkapop Thongtub

1515749598_1-org.jpg

The 10 drivers, including two women, presented themselves to Chalong Police Station yesterday (Jan 11). Image: Supplied

PHUKET: Ten pickup drivers, including two women, who caused an uproar on the streets of Chalong and online after late-night “hooning” disturbed local residents earlier this week have presented themselves to police to face a slew of charges for the public nuisance.

The 10 drivers presented themselves at Chalong Police Station yesterday (Jan 11), Lt Col Kanan Somrak of Chalong Police told The Phuket News today (Jan 12).

The eight male drivers were named as:

Wittawat Kanakub, 26, from Phuket

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/ten-pickup-drivers-charged-for-hooning-in-chalong-65516.php#BlhK6RDeouVgyDOD.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-01-13

In the full report, one of the drivers admits that the incident took place after a 'late new year's party'.

So I guess that had the police been on the ball at the time they could also have had them all up for drunk driving as well.

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Behaving in a loutish way, especially by driving recklessly. (you could have Googled it yourself of course!)

There are far too many members here who find it easier to ask on the forum about any word of phrase that didn't originate in their little part of the world. A troll on another thread recently asked about the meaning of "skin in the game". Their attitudes often seem to be that as they don't know the word, it shouldn't exist.

They fit into the same category as some old farts who proudly proclaim they have never heard of some celebrity or other and therefore that person can't have that title.

I will always first check google, wiki or similar to increase my knowledge rather than display a lack of it. 

52 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

There are far too many members here who find it easier to ask on the forum about any word of phrase that didn't originate in their little part of the world. A troll on another thread recently asked about the meaning of "skin in the game". Their attitudes often seem to be that as they don't know the word, it shouldn't exist.

They fit into the same category as some old farts who proudly proclaim they have never heard of some celebrity or other and therefore that person can't have that title.

I will always first check google, wiki or similar to increase my knowledge rather than display a lack of it. 

There are quite a few young smart a-ses as well who seem to think that inventing a new word that no one but them understands gives them a reason to criticise others who have never heard it before.

Never seen so many posts with so many contrafibulational meanings.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Behaving in a loutish way, especially by driving recklessly. (you could have Googled it yourself of course!)

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

May as well lock up most of the Thai driving age populace then !

I disagree. Having driven and ridden here for 4 years now, I find that most Thai drivers are sensible, patient and reasonably competent at driving. And that despite the lack of formal training.

All countries have their share of idiot drivers and Thailand is no exception to that, but it is grossly unfair to 'tar brush' them all, for the behaviour of the few.

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I disagree. Having driven and ridden here for 4 years now, I find that most Thai drivers are sensible, patient and reasonably competent at driving. And that despite the lack of formal training.

All countries have their share of idiot drivers and Thailand is no exception to that, but it is grossly unfair to 'tar brush' them all, for the behaviour of the few.

I agree with the sentiment posted, however, Thailands road fatality statistics also paint a damning picture - While there are 'hoons' in any country the general level of competence remains wanting and results directly in accidents and fatalities.

Patience, which seems impressively high given the oppressive road conditions appears to hang by a thread and is perhaps something else entirely such as the avoidance of confrontation for fear of the consequences (violence). 

I agree that the generalization is unfair - but the average is brought down significantly by the scores of the untrained, the idiotic and the moronic... and then we have the hoons !

Slightly more on topic, I live in Chalong and the noise from the nocturnal boy racers has increased greatly of late. The big bikes with the straight though exhausts are the worst, and at times they make it impossible to talk when sitting outside. I hope these guys get suitable censure for their shenanigans. I would like to see more action taken about the modified bikes.

Initial reports described these pickups as being involved in drift racing. Hooning, or whatever it's called elsewhere, is a much more appropriate term.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

"I find that most Thai drivers are sensible, patient and reasonably competent at driving" 

You must be living in an other Thailand that I have been living in for over 30 years, "patient".. really?

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Oh dear, oh dear....

Never heard of xxx, may also mean the speaker isn't interested.

Sorry, I am rather oldish, and yes I fart regularly.

Thank you, very relieving and relaxing, farting.

I presume "hooning" and "skin on the game" is a newfangled word and a saying both born in the US, so again, never heard of it.

And don't want to know.

Edit:

I stand corrected.

Hooning is not a US born word.

Australian/New Zealand.

OK, I am slightly more interested.

Edited by hansnl

5 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

"I find that most Thai drivers are sensible, patient and reasonably competent at driving" 

You must be living in an other Thailand that I have been living in for over 30 years, "patient".. really?

Maybe I am. I live and do most of my travelling in the north east of Issan and I am speaking of my own direct experience.

But I am well aware, and again I'm speaking from my own experience, that life on the roads does indeed become more frenzied as one moves south. But I've also had the same experience when going from my old home in rural Herefordshire to the frantic streets of Greater London.

Well Moonlover, I now live in the Mukdahan area of Isaan, & having lived all over Thailand I can honestly say that Mukdahan drivers are the worst That I've encountered anywhere in Thailand, including Bangkok, Koh Samui etc...

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

In the full report, one of the drivers admits that the incident took place after a 'late new year's party'.

So I guess that had the police been on the ball at the time they could also have had them all up for drunk driving as well.

Hang on a minute That is asking the RTP a bit to much to slip the bag on them  One thing at a time  What do you think they are actually interested in  doing their job do you Prob only went there after someone complained about the noise If it was new year then a good chance the cops were drunk also

19 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Hang on a minute That is asking the RTP a bit to much to slip the bag on them  One thing at a time  What do you think they are actually interested in  doing their job do you Prob only went there after someone complained about the noise If it was new year then a good chance the cops were drunk also

No, not quite right. It was a 'late new year party' that occurred on evening of Jan 9th.

Maybe the RTP would have caught them if the local residents had complained directly to them at the time instead of using social media to register their discontent retrospectively. 

A truly amusing (mostly) thread.
I too was on the verge of asking what "hooning" was, but was spared the ignominy of committing what had erstwhile been a normal conversational gambit; "What was that?"
Some responses remind me of the days when I would ask a parental figure some question, which I knew full well they had the answer to, and would be told "Look it up". So trudge off to the encyclopedia, search out the appropriate five kilo volume, flip through pages, etc,. to, hopefully, as it was a 1927 vintage ser, find the three word answer to my original question. :smile:

Edited by Bill Miller

3 hours ago, poohy said:

What on earth is "hooning"

Please advise in case i am inadvertently doing it:coffee1:

Hooning is the common word we use for any anti-social behaviour conducted in a motor vehicle—a car, van or motorbike—such as speeding, street racing, burnouts and playing loud music from a car stereo

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Asking the question in this manner implies two things. Firstly, what does it mean (I also never heard of it). Secondly, and perhaps more to the point, why is a local Australian word barely known outside the country being used in a headline of an article that has nothing to do with Australia? 

6 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Not everyone is as sensible and anxious to hide their lack of knowledge about inconsequential things as you.  So, what does "skin in the game" mean, then?