Anti-Yingluck activists to face prosecutors

rooster59

Anti-Yingluck activists to face prosecutors

By The Nation

d93d4a73f62af23bd82f05d2ca127bd7.jpeg

Prosecutors are set to call in leaders of the now defunct anti-Yingluck-government group, People’s Democratic Reform Committee to decide whether they would be indicted for sedition.

The up to 54 political activists including group leader Suthep Thaugsuban, have been charged by the Department of Special Investigation following their role in the 2014 demonstrations against former PM Yingluck Shinawatra and her government.

Sawad Charoenpol, the group’s lawyer, said the accused are ready to meet the prosecutors as appointed, but whether all of them will show up or not he cannot confirm at this point.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30336127

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-13

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's difficult for Suthep to wriggle out of this one as he ordered the civil servants to report to him directly, not to the Yingluk government.. A clear case of sedition one would think.

Abhisit could be involved too, he joined the stage at one point.

The trouble is by the time the case has passed through 3 courts another 10 years will have passed.

Justice reform please!

Wasn't reform one of Suthep's rallying cries?

1 hour ago, Dave67 said:

I reckon Suthep may get thrown under the bus by the Junta a token scalp to save their own skins after they cease to exist

The junta has nothing to fear as they have amnesty already.

Also history shows they have nothing to fear.

Well, the only thing they do have to fear is the truth (and justice).

If Suthep comes out again and goes into detail how he and the current government worked together and organized these protests to get rid of an elected government, it might get nasty.

Imagine a 3-page interview with Suthep where he gives the details of his meetings with Prayut (and Prayut's bosses) on how to overthrow the government, maybe spiced up with some comments as "hope we get some people on our side killed to make it more serious" (direct reference to the american diplomatic cables from previous protest) and the likes.

23 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

The junta has nothing to fear as they have amnesty already.

Also history shows they have nothing to fear.

Well, the only thing they do have to fear is the truth (and justice).

If Suthep comes out again and goes into detail how he and the current government worked together and organized these protests to get rid of an elected government, it might get nasty.

Imagine a 3-page interview with Suthep where he gives the details of his meetings with Prayut (and Prayut's bosses) on how to overthrow the government, maybe spiced up with some comments as "hope we get some people on our side killed to make it more serious" (direct reference to the american diplomatic cables from previous protest) and the likes.

I did mean Justice. Could get quite messy with this sedition charge looming, I would assume someone will be sacrificed before any election takes place

12 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

I did mean Justice. Could get quite messy with this sedition charge looming, I would assume someone will be sacrificed before any election takes place

I would not mind to see Suthep sacrificed... if anyone deserves it its him. On both sides people need to be punished so they understand there are some rules. 

I find this to be a fascinating story. I find it fascinating not for it's content, but for the fact not a single post even remotely feels that the story is true or that the people mentioned will actually be prosecuted. Not a single one (at the time of writing).

This story epitomizes why I (and I assume others, but they can speak for themselves) tend to lean in favour of the "Red" side over the "Yellows" side. I think the most important thing to begin with is that it doesn't matter what I think as I don't get a vote or even participate in Thai politics. However, for the sake of argument...

I fully agree with the vast majority of negative views regarding the 'Reds'; they are arrogant, sleazy, duplicitous, power-happy, arrogant, two-faced, arrogant, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. I really can't argue much with any of it; I think it is all basically true. Yet, I still think they are better than the 'Yellows'.

Why?

Good question.

The best analogy that I can come up with is to compare Thai politics to a football (soccer) game. The Reds, as a team, take dives all the time, they yell at the Refs, they kick the opposing players in the groin the second that they think they can get away with it, they bitch and whine over every call made against them, they use every last minute detail of the rules to try to seek advantage for their side, they mouth off to their opponents throughout the entire game (and nothing less than the most vulgar, offensive things possible). In short, they are a team that is oh so easy to hate, and to hate with a good reason. And to hate with a passion. But they play inside the rules (barely) because they have to.

The 'Yellows', on the other hand, cheat. They bribe the Ref and/or change the rules to give themselves an advantage when they cannot win cleanly or fairly. They don't work hard to use the rules in their favour; if they are not benefiting from the rules, they change them. If a game is going to go badly, they boycott the game and take their ball home. If they know they will lose, they block the game and say that it never happened. And 'their' Ref agrees with them.

Which is worse? To me, the cheating is worse. 

For all their many, many faults, I prefer those who play the game by the rules over those who change the rules for their benefit.

Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I find this to be a fascinating story. I find it fascinating not for it's content, but for the fact not a single post even remotely feels that the story is true or that the people mentioned will actually be prosecuted. Not a single one (at the time of writing).

This story epitomizes why I (and I assume others, but they can speak for themselves) tend to lean in favour of the "Red" side over the "Yellows" side. I think the most important thing to begin with is that it doesn't matter what I think as I don't get a vote or even participate in Thai politics. However, for the sake of argument...

I fully agree with the vast majority of negative views regarding the 'Reds'; they are arrogant, sleazy, duplicitous, power-happy, arrogant, two-faced, arrogant, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. I really can't argue much with any of it; I think it is all basically true. Yet, I still think they are better than the 'Yellows'.

Why?

Good question.

The best analogy that I can come up with is to compare Thai politics to a football (soccer) game. The Reds, as a team, take dives all the time, they yell at the Refs, they kick the opposing players in the groin the second that they think they can get away with it, they bitch and whine over every call made against them, they use every last minute detail of the rules to try to seek advantage for their side, they mouth off to their opponents throughout the entire game (and nothing less than the most vulgar, offensive things possible). In short, they are a team that is oh so easy to hate, and to hate with a good reason. And to hate with a passion. But they play inside the rules (barely) because they have to.

The 'Yellows', on the other hand, cheat. They bribe the Ref and/or change the rules to give themselves an advantage when they cannot win cleanly or fairly. They don't work hard to use the rules in their favour; if they are not benefiting from the rules, they change them. If a game is going to go badly, they boycott the game and take their ball home. If they know they will lose, they block the game and say that it never happened. And 'their' Ref agrees with them.

For all their many, many faults, I prefer those who play the game by the rules over those who change the rules for their benefit.

Thoughts?

Read my posts I believe its true

8 minutes ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Why?

Good question.

Thoughts?

My reason for prefering yellow over red is the violence of the reds, the reds have killed many in bombings and even killed some kids. Cheered about the deaths of their oponents on rallies.. had someone like Charlem in power who is in my book the worst of the bunch with a killer son he got off. He is all what is wrong. That is why i dislike the red more. But both sides are quite bad and all are in it for themselves. 

I think killing is worse then cheating. But hey that is just me. 

2 hours ago, Dave67 said:

I reckon Suthep may get thrown under the bus by the Junta a token scalp to save their own skins after they cease to exist

Quite right.  With their rapidly declining popularity, why not ?  These people have no moral compass.  For all their talk of reform and reconciliation, there have been no positive changes.  Prosecuting Suthep makes for a fine distraction. 

Abhisit got to see the bus's undercarriage as well.  Though, to his credit, he did speak out against the junta at times also. 

Edited by yellowboat

20 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

What about these army types that actually toppled the Government to increase their pay scales and watch collections?

Overthrowing an elected government by force of arms is not sedition in Thailand.

It is called ' selfless patriotism '

The army is as pure as the driven snow which is why they engineered the coup and subsequently have awarded themselves immunity from any kind of prosecution.

6 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Quite right.  With their rapidly declining popularity, why not ?  These people have no moral compass.  For all their talk of reform and reconciliation, there have been no positive changes.  Prosecuting Suthep makes for a fine distraction. 

Abhisit got to see the bus's undercarriage as well.  Though, to his credit, he did speak out against the junta at times also. 

I detest Suthep, I recall his celebration of the coup party with many of the guests wearing camouflage hats and shirts. 

7 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Lucky that the yellows didn't use any violence, like voluntarily shooting people who didn't agree with their stance. NOT?

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pop-corn-gunman-given-37-years-4-months-jailterm/

That is one of the few things you can find... and that was in a confrontation with the red where the reds moved into a yellow position. Totally wrong of course to have a firefight there.. but this was caused by reds moving in onto a yellow protest. The reds however went out of their way to kill.. remember 4 kids died by their hands.. whatever you want to prove its impossible to place the yellows on the same violence scale as the reds.. remember the burning of BKK.. I did not see the yellows burn anything. The reds by nature are far more violent. That is why i dislike them more. I dislike not only corruption but violence too. 

19 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Lucky that the yellows didn't use any violence, like voluntarily shooting people who didn't agree with their stance. NOT?

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pop-corn-gunman-given-37-years-4-months-jailterm/

Yes.....although sometimes they shot the wrong people , like the army colonel in civilian clothes who foolishly tried to move one of their traffic cones.

Then there was the pilot and the ice delivery man , both assaulted by Pra Issaras guards , also for try I g to move illegal traffic cones.

Then, down in Lumpini park there were at least two people, seized beaten , tied up and thrown in a river from a motorway bridge. Luckily ,one of them lived to tell of his ordeal.

Edited by Denim

8 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

I detest Suthep, I recall his celebration of the coup party with many of the guests wearing camouflage hats and shirts. 

i detest Suthep for his arrogance and corruption, that coup party is nothing compared to the cheering for the deaths of their enemies at the red meeting when they heard about the Trad killings. Celebrating a coup... bad.. celebrating killing of political enemies.. worse. 

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Why?

Good question.

Thoughts?

A fair analogy. 

The "reds", whatever you or I may think of them, and however unpleasant some of them may be, have been the consistent choice of the people of this country to form the government throughout the last two decades, (I nearly said this century, but that is a trifle melodramatic, given that the century is only 18 years old).

It is only fair to point out that the "yellows" have also been consistent throughout the same period. They have consistently ignored the will of the electorate and sought to obtain power through force or the threat of force.

As far as I am concerned the "bottom line" is that the "reds" are the choice of the people. 

And no, I don't for a minute think anything will come of this. Suthep won't be thrown under a bus - he knows too much.

Edited by JAG

1 hour ago, robblok said:

i detest Suthep for his arrogance and corruption, that coup party is nothing compared to the cheering for the deaths of their enemies at the red meeting when they heard about the Trad killings. Celebrating a coup... bad.. celebrating killing of political enemies.. worse. 

I detest Suthep because he is a sleazy opportunist, he is a self professed former pal of Thaksins who proclaimed that Thaksin was no longer welcome at his home when it became politically expedient for him to do so. I really hate him because he won't go away like his former friend, Maybe he could set up another palm oil scam in another country. One thing though, I said it at the time, he showed courage standing on that stage and walking through the streets. There must have been thousands that would like to have seen him dead.

Edited by ramrod711

2 hours ago, robblok said:

My reason for prefering yellow over red is the violence of the reds, the reds have killed many in bombings and even killed some kids. Cheered about the deaths of their oponents on rallies.. had someone like Charlem in power who is in my book the worst of the bunch with a killer son he got off. He is all what is wrong. That is why i dislike the red more. But both sides are quite bad and all are in it for themselves. 

I think killing is worse then cheating. But hey that is just me. 

Ha, you forget your Yellow friends killings, or you just cheat it out of the memory..... oh sorry...... they block the game and say that it never happened. And 'their' Ref agrees with them.