import duty on used car

zoza

i got into a conversation with a bloke yesterday and he was saying he has an agent who can import cars

and you only have to pay triple the value of the car...and that is that....I some how doubt that but he insisted

he was right...some one else pointed out the lack of cars in Thailand that have been imported from Europe..

and surely there is a reason....does anyone know the facts re costs for importing cars to Thailand.  

i got into a conversation with a bloke yesterday and he was saying he has an agent who can import cars
and you only have to pay triple the value of the car...and that is that....I some how doubt that but he insisted
he was right...some one else pointed out the lack of cars in Thailand that have been imported from Europe..
and surely there is a reason....does anyone know the facts re costs for importing cars to Thailand.  
Have you not just answered your own question? Triple the value, why on earth would you even consider this an option with the inclusion of agents fees and shipping costs.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

as Mr. "Anythingleft" stated you answered your question by yourself..

i moved here over 8 years ago and had a new Range Rover sports V8 in Singapore (actually 2 of them my wife also)

i looked at trying to import both but was amazed at the cost ...

even thou they cost me SGD 380,000 or about USD290,000 each in Singapore it was still must easier to off load them

there as a new Range Rover Sports not a V8 in Thailand was about USD160,000 (using exchange rates back 8 years

ago was USD/AUUD were around thb36)

if i bought my now second hand Range Rover sports in the thai authorities would not charge me 3 times on the initial

purchase price of USD290K in Singapore but the Thai value which was USD160K so i would have ended up with a vehicle

here with a value of USD640K (Thai Purchase price 160k and 3 times the value added) 

so as you can see you dont need to be a mathematical genius to worth this out... unless you friends friend is paying someone to look the other way and then this is illegal ... so end of story and assume end of your hair brain scheme to import vehicles..

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

12 years ago I wanted to import my then 25 year old sports car, I changed my mind when I was informed what the import taxes would be in short they were far more than the car was worth so I chose plan B and sold it

Likewise, I wanted to import my 12 years old Porshe 911 and was quoted twice the price for tax that I bought it for, so sadly said a very hearbroken farewell to it in the UK.

You can bring in cars under names of thai students or thai workers given that they have own the vehicle X number of years in the country they bought it in, and they continue to have it under their name for X number of years once it is brought into Thailand. This is the only loophole that people are taking advantage of nowadays (since they close down the assemble vehicle from parts loophole couple years ago). You will still have to pay tax, but not much less than 1x the price of the car as I remember. 

You can also import new vehicles in and pay the tax which is what many grey dealers do, and I do know some car wash folks have done so legally. I believe for new cars its somewhere along 2-2.5x price of the car.

10 hours ago, mike324 said:

You can bring in cars under names of thai students or thai workers given that they have own the vehicle X number of years in the country they bought it in, and they continue to have it under their name for X number of years once it is brought into Thailand. This is the only loophole that people are taking advantage of nowadays (since they close down the assemble vehicle from parts loophole couple years ago). You will still have to pay tax, but not much less than 1x the price of the car as I remember. 

You can also import new vehicles in and pay the tax which is what many grey dealers do, and I do know some car wash folks have done so legally. I believe for new cars its somewhere along 2-2.5x price of the car.

Can I buy a car in the UK in my sons name and import it as his property? He is dual nationality both British and Thai. 

19 hours ago, misterphil said:

Can I buy a car in the UK in my sons name and import it as his property? He is dual nationality both British and Thai. 

Yes you can do that, in fact this is the only legal and safest way of bringing in used cars. Be sure to check the laws again regarding to how long the car has to be under his name before exporting it from UK. I'm not an expert, but I have heard from some grey market dealers who have brought cars in this way, and as well as from friends friend who brought their own cars back. Again, check on how much tax you have to pay too. Given how much cars depreciate nowadays in Thailand, and there is a lot more selection, it may not be that much cheaper / worth the hassle bringing in your own car.

In 2005 I bought a four year old 996 Carrera 4. Early 2007 I moved to Thailand and looked at bringing it with me. The costs were frightening. The new price plus shipping, plus paperwork x 328%.

A couple of years ago I revisited this through a Bangkok based shipping agency. This 3 x is on a sliding scale. Unfortunately it only bottoms out at 214% after 10 years old, but the car valuation can be as low as 25%. The figures (off the top of my head) were, new price £72k x 25% was £18k. Then add shipping and paperwork of £5k and multiply by 214%. Their quote at the time was 2.6m baht which was slightly cheaper than buying the equivalent used car here with an unknown background.

Not super scary if you pick the right car and it's old enough. I redid the figures at the time with the car I had before, a 2001 Boxster. Cost new £38k, say 25% (ten plus years later) is £10k plus £5k shipping, x 214% is around £33k total. You couldn't get a Boxster here then for that price.

The elephant in the room is the valuation the Thai's put on it.

On 17/01/2018 at 11:31 AM, mike324 said:

This is misleading , sorry. There is no loophole here. Yes it is true that someone ( say a Thai) returning to Thailand, who can prove that they have owned a car overseas for more than 12 months  is “ entitled” to import that car into Thailand. BUT ,  there is no special exemption from duty.

Also a non Thai coming to live and work in Thailand ,with a valid work permit , is “entitled” (or at least used to be) to bring a car that they have owned for more than 12 months , into Thailand. Both will be subject to exactly the same level of import tax and duty.  And , as others have said , this is very onerous.

And I speak as someone who did exactly this. I had help , and a friendly senior customs person , and this was almost a decade ago. So I got a good deal. Would I recommend to anyone else? No! Don’t bother yourself.

the only group that really get any special discounts or exemptions are diplomats , either returning Thai diplomats or, foreign diplomats newly posted to Thailand.

13 hours ago, wordchild said:

This is misleading , sorry. There is no loophole here. Yes it is true that someone ( say a Thai) returning to Thailand, who can prove that they have owned a car overseas for more than 12 months  is “ entitled” to import that car into Thailand. BUT ,  there is no special exemption from duty.

Also a non Thai coming to live and work in Thailand ,with a valid work permit , is “entitled” (or at least used to be) to bring a car that they have owned for more than 12 months , into Thailand. Both will be subject to exactly the same level of import tax and duty.  And , as others have said , this is very onerous.

And I speak as someone who did exactly this. I had help , and a friendly senior customs person , and this was almost a decade ago. So I got a good deal. Would I recommend to anyone else? No! Don’t bother yourself.

the only group that really get any special discounts or exemptions are diplomats , either returning Thai diplomats or, foreign diplomats newly posted to Thailand.

You are correct, I should not have used the word "Loop hole". The only reason I used it is because some grey market dealers take advantage of this law to import cars to resale (they find students and workers and put the car under their name) - hence I refer it to a loophole in that instance. But other than that, it is a totally legal way of importing a car. I don't think anyone here mentioned that you will be exempt from duty, its just that you will get a reduce rate.

Cars 10 years older, the car value is up to the discretion of the customs officer. This is where having a contact inside helps the most.

Just now, mike324 said:

You are correct, I should not have used the word "Loop hole". The only reason I used it is because some grey market dealers take advantage of this law to import cars to resale (they find students and workers and put the car under their name) - hence I refer it to a loophole in that instance. But other than that, it is a totally legal way of importing a car. I don't think anyone here mentioned that you will be exempt from duty, its just that you will get a reduce rate.

Cars 10 years older, the car value is up to the discretion of the customs officer. This is where having a contact inside helps the most.

If they (students) have had to own the car for 12 months or more, don't they physically have to be overseas as well?

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

If they (students) have had to own the car for 12 months or more, don't they physically have to be overseas as well?

Yes,  some grey market dealers are able to find these students and workers who are overseas. They would take care of the paper work and keep all the documents, the students / workers would get paid a commission for using their name. It is a long process, and only for those who are patient and finding a car that is high price and difficult to acquire in Thailand (eg. porsche / ferrari). The car has to be in the name of the students / workers in Thailand for a couple of years (something like 2-3) before names can be changed again - this is to deter people from bringing in cars for resale.

On 17/1/2561 at 10:29 PM, misterphil said:

I heard the car has to be registered in the uk in his thai name for 2-3 years before he can bring it into thailand tax free.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

This is so sad.  My problem with buying a new car in Thailand is that the selection of new makes and models available are so limited.  I really don't feel like driving a Camry, Civic, or Fortuner.  So many nice looking cars in the world yet so few can be bought here.  Nice does not equal expensive rather unique.

I'd consider 100% total import tax but I don't like that fact that the value of the car is not determined until it arrives in Thailand.  

On 1/19/2018 at 10:41 AM, Rdrokit said:

They give a discount for used vehicles but you must remember on a used vehicle they determine the value of the vehicle.

http://en.customs.go.th/content.php?ini_content=individuals_151007_01&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individuals_151007_01

Please if you are considering importing a car or posting here read this link first. Or google "import car to Thailand"

The main part ................. In case where an importer is a Thai resident, he/she is allowed to import a vehicle only when such vehicle is accompanied the owner on the change of residence and he/she has owned and possessed the imported vehicle together with the valid driving license for at least one and a half year while staying abroad.  Nowhere does it state duty free.

The basic custom calculation is for every 100 baht of customs valuation 231 baht duty will be levied.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the concern is less the legal duty to be charged, but more:

1) Will the appraisal be grossly unfair. (Ie car appraised at value of 200k Euro instead of actual 25k)

2) Is the level of corruption such that an extraordinary amount has to be paid, or it will be seized?

I'm pondering bringing my car, if for no other reason than it is a classic and there is no available equivalent. I'm also pondering if I should disable it in such a way that if it is seized it is worthless ?

(Maybe go all mad max on it)

I'd love to hear stories from those who succeeded. Given that i see some old imports, it must be possible.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

These are long stories but I will give shortened versions.

My manager was transferred from Malaysia and he imported his Jaguar MK 2 3.8 liter 1965 in need of total restoration. His bill from customs was 1,000,000 baht.

A good friend of my wife is a customs officer at Laem Chabang. He drives a 4.3 HSE Range Rover vogue with the UK plates still attached under the Thai plates.

18 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:

These are long stories but I will give shortened versions.

My manager was transferred from Malaysia and he imported his Jaguar MK 2 3.8 liter 1965 in need of total restoration. His bill from customs was 1,000,000 baht.

A good friend of my wife is a customs officer at Laem Chabang. He drives a 4.3 HSE Range Rover vogue with the UK plates still attached under the Thai plates.

would be a good start if Thai customs used, for example, Hagerty's Guide to value any classic cars brought in. A friend recently was interested in buying a Thai registered Jag XK off a retired Customs officer in Bkk, it was sold before he had a chance to buy it and never i saw it. Apparently he had owned it for over 25 years but i did wonder how he acquired it!

Archived