Dual pricing: What happened when a Thai was charged the ‘farang price’

snoop1130

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overcharging happens in other countries:

" The hot dog vendor exposed by the NBC 4 New York I-Team for selling outrageously overpriced food to visitors and tourists near ground zero has been fired, the cart owner says.

Abdelalim Abdelbaky told NBC 4 New York Thursday that he fired Ahmed Mohammed after watching the report. He's now manning the cart himself.  He said he's embarrassed after Mohammed was caught on camera hawking hot dogs for up to $30 and pretzels for $15. In some cases, he short-changed customers on their change after overcharging them."

Years ago at the old Sanam Luang market, I watched someone buy some fruit. The vendor pointed and indicated a price for one.  In my best Thai, I said "That person a moment ago bought 3 of them for the same price."  I had a buddy in BKK who would sweet talk cab drivers, sometimes getting a better than normal Thai price. 

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Shame shame shame, I never pay more than 30 baht as a farang to eat the same stuff from a street food vendor, my wife makes sure of that before she orders, good to have a wife with balls when it comes to the old mighty baht and dual pricing...lol

I have quite a few friends who also have ladyboy partners, and they say similar, looks like no one wants to mess with a LB.

2 hours ago, Presto said:

Why don't I have this problem in Hua Hin? I definitely look like a farang. And no Thai help involved.

Hua Hin tends to be triple the price of most places in Thailand anyway ... to triple again you may need to sell your booty to get some gapow...

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

" The hot dog vendor exposed by the NBC 4 New York I-Team for selling outrageously overpriced food to visitors and tourists near ground zero has been fired, the cart owner says.

Abdelalim Abdelbaky told NBC 4 New York Thursday that he fired Ahmed Mohammed after watching the report. He's now manning the cart himself.  He said he's embarrassed after Mohammed was caught on camera hawking hot dogs for up to $30 and pretzels for $15. In some cases, he short-changed customers on their change after overcharging them."

Years ago at the old Sanam Luang market, I watched someone buy some fruit. The vendor pointed and indicated a price for one.  In my best Thai, I said "That person a moment ago bought 3 of them for the same price."  I had a buddy in BKK who would sweet talk cab drivers, sometimes getting a better than normal Thai price. 

MANY years ago in London, I approached a drinks vendor in  Oxford Street and asked:

"how much is a can of coke?"

Quick as a flash, he opened it and said "£2.50".

My reply was "well you can keep it then!"

To which HE said "well I've opened it now"

I said - "well i'll find you a policeman to share it with - he can check your trader's licence at the same time"

The trader's reply is probably best left unquoted! And it's a lie....my parents were married!

My point is - yes - it happens all over the world. Had i been a tourist and intimidated by it - guess the rest! 

2 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

On the ortorkor fruitmarket they cheated me several times, Thai ladies even told the vendor to not cheat me which helped and he gave me more fruit after that.

That's Asia's best fruitmarket according to some test.

My toes are laughing.........:cheesy:

“We promote tourism, but we let people overcharge tourists,” another user wrote. 

A female user chimed in with a valid point: “Foreigners are people too.”

Yesterday, the Ministry of Commerce responded that it would investigate the matter. If the vendor is found guilty of overcharging customers, she would face up to seven years in prison and/or up to a fine of THB100,000.  :cheesy:

45 minutes ago, VBF said:

MANY years ago in London, I approached a drinks vendor in  Oxford Street and asked:

"how much is a can of coke?"

Quick as a flash, he opened it and said "£2.50".

My reply was "well you can keep it then!"

To which HE said "well I've opened it now"

I said - "well i'll find you a policeman to share it with - he can check your trader's licence at the same time"

The trader's reply is probably best left unquoted! And it's a lie....my parents were married!

My point is - yes - it happens all over the world. Had i been a tourist and intimidated by it - guess the rest! 

I don't believe you. The trader would have likened you to a woman's vagina and not a person born out of wedlock had that have been the case...:biggrin:

1 hour ago, baboon said:

I don't believe you. The trader would have likened you to a woman's vagina and not a person born out of wedlock had that have been the case...:biggrin:

Lol :clap2:probably - but by that time I was away! 

2 hours ago, Happyman108 said:

Yesterday, the Ministry of Commerce responded that it would investigate the matter. If the vendor is found guilty of overcharging customers, she would face up to seven years in prison and/or up to a fine of THB100,000.  :cheesy:

Is this the same Ministry that is looking into the food price gouging at the airports?... :coffee1:

9 hours ago, coulson said:

So it's trial pricing then?

The Chinese are the new Farangs and Westerners are mere cheap charlies who pood dai di 

:clap2:

As an added bonus, when the inflated bill arrives it gives the farang the opportunity to look the server in the eye with an offended expression and say "Mai bpen khon Cheen!"

"Yesterday, the Ministry of Commerce responded that it would investigate the matter. If the vendor is found guilty of overcharging customers, she would face up to seven years in prison and/or up to a fine of THB100,000."

At the same time they should investigate the National Park Authorities for charging foreigners 10 times more for park admission fees :cheesy:

Went to the revolving restaurant in Pattaya Tower a couple of weeks ago Thai price 400 Farang price 600. My Thai kids hold dual nationality Thai/UK my wife is Thai. So I'm from UK with spousal visa and have 2 Thai kids and still have to pay a Farang price. I do enjoy my time in Thailand when I am not working but I find this double pricing distasteful.

It's outright WRONG!!!!
Charging dual/triple prices should be against the law as it is discrimination !

Natural parks, restaurants, tourist attractions, golf courses all have dual prices.
I'm married to a wonderful Thai lady and with great in-law family, speak and read fluent Thai and been here since 1990 for work.

It definitely pisses me off when they try to charge me a other rate than the locals, it does my head in.

Try to do that to them If they come to our country.

I still love to live here but by principal i will avoid those places who execute these dual pricings.

I am sad to report that this happens EVERYWHERE that I have been since leaving the US. In Viet Nam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Myanmar and, now, in Kyrgyzstan! Disgusting and cruel! Discrimination at best! However, it is LEGAL! Governments need to intervene! In Viet Nam, I paid double for an orange over what a Vietnamese would have had to pay (how did I know? I had a Vietnamese person with me who told me AFTER the fact!). Fixed price is only as good as it really is. In food service, this seems to be a plague!

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

good to have a wife with balls when it comes to the old mighty baht and dual pricing...lol

I guess that is some people's dream in Thailand but I personally prefer mine without.  But I'd say the seller would definitely think twice overcharging a wife with balls...

14 minutes ago, Diamondbob said:

It's outright WRONG!!!!
Charging dual/triple prices should be against the law as it is discrimination !

Natural parks, restaurants, tourist attractions, golf courses all have dual prices.
I'm married to a wonderful Thai lady and with great in-law family, speak and read fluent Thai and been here since 1990 for work.

It definitely pisses me off when they try to charge me a other rate than the locals, it does my head in.

Try to do that to them If they come to our country.

I still love to live here but by principal i will avoid those places who execute these dual pricings.

If you are savvy a farang can avoid places where it's likely you'll face the tourist gouging.  Speak Thai and 9 times out of 10 you'll be charged the Thai price.

My Thai mother in law complains about getting ripped off when she goes to China so it does happen to them too when they go abroad and they don't speak the local language. 

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The other day my wife used a copy of my passport to get a special 20% tourist discount when buying an item at a shopping center. Sometimes dual pricing favor tourists.

I was not even present and I am not a tourist, but she got 20% discount.

No she used it to to change the Chanote over to her name at the land office ?(just kidding)