New PCX 150 Battery keeps going flat

Andyman

Hi,

Got a new PCX 150 in November last year had quite a few problems with the battery going flat in a very short space of time, thought i may be doing something wrong, but met someone else i knew just bought one and battery flat after 3 days, went to start today after 4 days and battery flat, jump started it and took to the dealer and they said this is perfectly normal, for me this is not normal.......... has anyone else had this problem or know how to go about getting it fixed?

There could be a short circuit in the wiring loom that only shorts when the handle bars are locked overnight or maybe the brake light switches or the kick stand position safety switch "leak"

The battery certainly shouldn't go flat overnight unless its a few years old or "gone bad"

26 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Not sure if its standard but have noticed lots of friends with PCX have an alarm. That would be something that maybe adds to overnight drain.

Drains in about 4 days, think that got me was dealer said this is normal, wondering if this is a common fault on the new model that needs fixing, as i know someone else that has same problem with same bike.

Posted here to see if anyone else has a new model PCX with this problem.

Yes the PCX got an alarm system but it will automatically switch off if the battery goes below a certain level I believe.

OP do you use the auto stop function? My pcx is the old (1st gen) 150cc and I stopped using it unless I sit at red light for a long time, so auto stop in off position. Is yours the new hybrid model?

The scooter should easily be able to sit for over 1 month and still have battery power to start.

Find another dealer, the one you are using now, don't know what they are talking about. Oh just saw your post now, so several others have same problem eh, looks like a fault on this model then. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Edited by guzzi850m2

This is of course not normal, my soon to be 5 years old PCX 150 (with start/stop and i'm using it) starts without any problems even if i didn't use it for a few months, still the first battery.

So as others suggested already, check the battery and the generator, if both are fine, there has to be a short circuit somewhere

• Like 1

As has been mentioned...the charging system needs checking (Stator and rectifier).  A good battery should not go flat in 3 to 4 days.

If both stator and rectifier are doing their job then it's a wiring problem.  Something is causing a drainage and or short somewhere.

If it's prevalent on that model then Honda 'should' be doing a recall or something about it.

Look at you tube re how to check your stator and rectifier using a multimeter.  I've done a few bikes now and it's easy to find if there is a fault with the charging system.

Probably something draining the battery, but at under 2 month old I’m not going to fix it myself, took it back to the dealership I bought it from and called head office in Bangkok, guess I just have to grind away at them all until some solution is found, hopefully this will get fixed with a recall as it points to a wiring fault. 

Frustration right?

Just because it is the dealer doesn't mean they have the best trained staff. in fact that is my problem with the dealer, they are very good about selling the bikes because they have a monopoly like Mityon.  I've written them before about their service that they are missing out on the largest market and that is service.  You look at the service book, each service has about 8 items yet we know it only takes a second to check most.  I go to the service every 4,000 and I have to tell the guy majority of time it isn't just the oil, you suppose to check the following. 

Now your problem if you are in Pattaya, you are lucky there is a top notch shop on Sukhumvit 55, that is not only a supply store for nearly all the independent shops but also has great service.

First, I would change the battery sounds defective to me!  for a original it is about 650 baht,  now make sure because the new PCX has that fancy locking system make sure it is really in the off position.  If the new battery goes out like the old then for sure you got a short.

Then there is also possible,  as you know kick stands got to be up, you got to squeeze the left brake to get it started, there might be a hitch in that area that makes it seem like the battery is out. I once took it back to the shop that I got the new battery, because it wouldn't start as if the battery was drained, took a screwdriver loosen something on the left hand brake, took the air hose and squeeze some WD 40, and I was good to go. There is a sensor and it didn't make contact so it wouldn't start.

Then last, there is that stupid  " idol switch " you don't need it turn it off,  when using, as soon as the light changes you hit the throttle it drains the battery since it has to start the bike.  I switch my off, and current battery is 3 years and still going strong.

Good luck

Myself and a friend bought a Forza each 3 years ago. His has done 8000k mine has done 20,000k . His battery went flat rapidly ,GWH went through every thing and found the battery was a bad un. My battery is still good.  A battery for the Foza has a 6 month warantee . Some good some no good.

On 1/20/2018 at 8:24 AM, Andyman said:

Drains in about 4 days, think that got me was dealer said this is normal, wondering if this is a common fault on the new model that needs fixing, as i know someone else that has same problem with same bike.

Posted here to see if anyone else has a new model PCX with this problem.

Clearly something  wrong, mine is 6 years  old, original  battery, left often for a month, with alarm set, always starts first time!

Definitely not normal. A bike battery in the 100cc to 150 cc range should last at least 2 years - mine is still going after 5 years. Sounds like a short somewhere on the bike to me.

Edited by Lacessit

2 hours ago, krabi local said:

Is it a keyless version ?

If yes then you need to blick the fob button when you turn it off.

if not then try switching off the idle stop switch.

Mine's keyless and I just walk away. I do turn the fob off, ( to save the fob battery) but  that's usually at a distance from the bike, so I don't think it can be having any effect on it.

Canthai55 is right, remove the earth and put an ammeter (DVM) across lead and battery. That will tell you if you have a leak, try it with and without the steering lock on and with the stand up and down. Then do the maths or report the figures and I will.

That's the place to start.

Investigate how many amps are running when your bike is off. You need an amp meter or multi meter.

Put meter in amp (A) DC mode, disconnect the negative (-, black) pole and put the leads of the meter in between the battery and the wire. Now you can read how many amps are running, it should be 0 or if you have an alarm some milliamps. 

I see the battery is a 6.3 Ah battery, meaning if you have a current running of 1 amp, it is dead in 6 hours. Amp X time(hours) = Ah. So if it is 2 amps , it is dead in 3 hours. If you measure a current too high as more then some milliamps (alarm), you have a leakage somewhere in the wiring or maybe the rectifier.

Maybe it is not charging and you discharge the battery and the battery will die eventually. You should measure the voltage.

The voltage, you can also measure with the multimeter. Change to volts , start engine and measure volts on the poles of the battery. It should be about 13.8 DC volts.

However you are not alone. If you google "pcx 150 battery dead" you see more people having problems with it.

I red about changing batteries which had no effect, so it must be probably somewhere in the rectifier  or coils which generate the electricity. You also could ask Honda  about this problem, as it seems though common.

Also saw this: 

Hi all, just a quick heads up to any out there that may experience the same problem I had recently.

For some time now starting my PCX has been a pain and required a real squeeze on the brake lever and many attempts on the starter button to get it going. I called into Honda who simply charged up the battery but this didn't solve it.

I then searched the forums and came across a 2 yr old post by someone called 'atesci' (many thanks to atesci for this).

I changed the brake levers a week or so ago and it turns out this was the culprit as the rear brake lever has 2 lugs on it that release tiny plungers that activate the brake light and allow the starter to operate...the new brake lever simply didn't have quite enough 'clearance' to do that for the starter.

The solution is quick and easy, remove the lever and bend the offending plastic lug back. All done within minutes and now back to normal smile.png

3 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

The solution is quick and easy, remove the lever and bend the offending plastic lug back. All done within minutes and now back to normal smile.png

So a quick test might be to simply ensure the brake light comes on when pulling the lever?

Pretty much everything covered in this thread already.

One thing not mentioned is see if your battery is "swollen" or mis-shaped. Is the surface convex or bulging slightly? Easy test to carry out and no cost or equipment involved.

If so, the battery needs to be changed.

On 1/25/2018 at 12:28 AM, jacko45k said:

So a quick test might be to simply ensure the brake light comes on when pulling the lever?

Just copied the text from another person in Thaivisa forum, it is his vision and his solution

• 2 months later...

My PCX 150 from 2013 had the same problem, the battery was gone bad after about one month. It was replaced on warranty - no questions asked. The next one lasted about 4 years, which is what you should expect. Go to a reasonable Honda shop and claim your warranty, before the six-month period for the battery is over.

Yes,  After 10 months, my 2017 Honda PCX 150 all of a sudden, has the same problem.  At first I thought the alarm had been tripped and being unheard, drained the battery, but the mechanic determined it was probably my inconsistent use of the keyless fob (on vs off).   But, still right away, the battery died again.  Took battery to shop and confirmed it was good.  Trying again.  Will turn off "idle-stop" even though I used it the first 10 months.   

• 2 months later...

Ok, got to the bottom of this..... it was my own doing, granted when i picked up the bike from new i was just handed the keys and no guidance given and the handbook is in Thai but there you go.

Found 3 probable ways the battery was going flat.

1. Put kick stand down and forgot to turn switch to off position, this will flatten it within a couple of hours.

2. Turning switch to "Locked" position and not making sure handlebars are actually locked in place this seems to also flatten the battery.

3. Battery not flat but cannot start bike, there is a "Key" symbol on the key fob press it one time and you will see a very small LED light up it should be green, if it is red you cannot start the bike, a "Long" press on this button will toggle between the 2 modes.

Hope this helps anyone else having problems with the new PCX.

2 hours ago, Andyman said:

Ok, got to the bottom of this..... it was my own doing, granted when i picked up the bike from new i was just handed the keys and no guidance given and the handbook is in Thai but there you go.

Found 3 probable ways the battery was going flat.

1. Put kick stand down and forgot to turn switch to off position, this will flatten it within a couple of hours.

2. Turning switch to "Locked" position and not making sure handlebars are actually locked in place this seems to also flatten the battery.

3. Battery not flat but cannot start bike, there is a "Key" symbol on the key fob press it one time and you will see a very small LED light up it should be green, if it is red you cannot start the bike, a "Long" press on this button will toggle between the 2 modes.

Hope this helps anyone else having problems with the new PCX.

Not sure about 2, I often do that when I park somewhere that someone else may need to move the bike - usually because I'm blocking people in.  Doesn't seem to affect my battery.

Handbook in Thai?  I wasn't even given one!

If anyone reading has a source for an English language one, I'd be grateful (thread hijacking a touch here, sorry).