Former DSI chief Tarit gets 3-month suspended jail term for concealing assets

webfact

Former DSI chief gets 3-month suspended jail term for concealing assets

By Thai PBS

tarit.jpg

Former director-general of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) Tarit Pengdith was on Friday (Jan 19) sentenced by the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions to three months in prison and a fine of 5,000 baht after finding him guilty of concealing assets.

The National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) indicted Tarit in the court after finding him intentionally concealed several assets while he served as the DSI chief during 2009-2014.

The assets that Tarit failed to declare to the NACC included four bank accounts worth over 5 million baht; investments in two companies worth over 6 million baht; property in Pak Chong district of Nakhon Ratchasima province worth over 20 million baht; and his spouse’s cashes in two bank accounts worth over 6 million baht.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/former-dsi-chief-gets-3-month-suspended-jail-term-concealing-assets/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-01-19

5 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

The bar is set. Wonder if Benny can Limbo his way out of this?

What bar, i mean 3 months suspended and a 5.000 bt fine.. if that is all they get for failing to disclose their wealthy why disclose it at all. 

3 minutes ago, colinneil said:

What a pathetic sentence, just a joke.

You are 1 of the cliche,you get away with a little slap on the wrist.

Yet if you are a very poor person, you get 5 years for stealing a few mangoes.

Maybe the aim is just to block him from any political ambitions since i assume a corruption conviction makes him ineligable for public office.

Another harsh sentence doled out by those who promised to rid the country of corruption! well done :(

On the same day HSBC bank were "fined" 101 million $ for their corrupt dealings! :(

Seems to be a trend    -   corruption pays well!!

still waiting to see what happens over his land that included national parks land, when will they actually make these scumbags pay a decent fine and  do some time for their corruption. Really looks like no one is game to make these people pay in case they get caught themselves, they are all bent

3 hours ago, webfact said:

property in Pak Chong district of Nakhon Ratchasima province worth over 20 million baht

I guess they bought his assertion that he didn't know that the road going right through his property near his house led to national park land. What a disgusting example of a key bureaucrat in Thailand. This guy screwed both major parties and walks away.  Unbelievable.

17 hours ago, YetAnother said:

thailand is beyond salvage; just when the court Could have sent a solid message, they Did, in the exact wrong direction

How could they send a solid message when Big Brother #2 has a undeclared-watch case pending worth a similar amount of money?

A bender and chump change fine is a real insult given the astronmical sums of money that went undeclared. What about sequestration of assets, loss of pension and debarring from holding any form of public office? 

17 hours ago, smutcakes said:

I am sure he knows far to much. A gentlemanly agreement that he will get a slap on the wrist, go away, stay away and keep quiet.

Correct me if wrong, but Tarit was part of Cres when the army ( read our beloved self appointed pm ) decided to use live ammunition to shoot the protesters.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Slain-nurses-mother-seeks-action-against-Tarit-30197247.html

24 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Correct me if wrong, but Tarit was part of Cres when the army ( read our beloved self appointed pm ) decided to use live ammunition to shoot the protesters.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Slain-nurses-mother-seeks-action-against-Tarit-30197247.html

Yes he has been on both sides. When he was originally pulled over he pretty much came straight up and said he just goes with the winds of whoever is in power.

20 hours ago, robblok said:

What bar, i mean 3 months suspended and a 5.000 bt fine.. if that is all they get for failing to disclose their wealthy why disclose it at all. 

I think you missed the intended sarcasm

17 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The criminal and corrupt are the winners.

Sad social model.

Is this not the case with every country? or do I need to put the blinkers on and pretend this only happens here!

Is there a good "social model"?