Six ‘coloured’ tourists arrested for overstaying visa

rooster59

2 hours ago, John Drake said:

Apparently "people of color" is okay. But "colored people" is not.

Interesting and I'm sure it's different in different countries. But in USA usage people of color refers to all non-whites and colored people (which is now long out of use) refers only to black people. So they are not equivalent at all!

4 minutes ago, isaanbanhou said:

Perhap's the poster felt he didnt need to justify his beliefs to you.  Perhaps the poster doesnt think the world revolves around you. 

Do you feel that posters on this forum owe you an explanation for their beliefs?   

I await your condescending reply with baited breath

"Perhap's the poster felt he didnt need to justify his beliefs to you".

Perhaps, but it is very strange that he didn't considering that he is always very enthusiastic about ongoing dialogue.

"Do you feel that posters on this forum owe you an explanation for their beliefs?"   

No, but it would make sense for someone who puts his opinions across so strongly to back them up as he always does when he can justify them.

Do you feel that no one posting here in response to others comments should be allowed to ask a question and, not unreasonably, to get a reply?

Why do you feel that you have to intervene on Bluespunk's behalf?  He is more than capable of responding to me and he certainly doesn't need your help to do it.

Sorry to respond without being condescending even though you did try very hard and did do very well.  Oh dear, I spoiled it, that part was condescending.

• Haha 2

This is Thailand and the language here is Thai. So they referred to coloured tourists. If it was the U.S. I would think such a headline probably comes from a British expat redneck sheriff that doesn't know how to spell but definitely refers to black people. Lost in translation in Thailand, I wouldn't make assumptions that they meant only blacks. Perhaps dark skinned South Asians as well? 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He said 30 racial minority men and women were taken for questioning, with six found to have overstayed their tourist visa. The rest were later freed.

This man lacks all manner of eloquence.  "Africans" is the word he is looking for. 

So they went there looking for drugs and con men, but all they found were a few overstayers.  More police work needed; surveillance, under cover work.

Isn't this post in the wrong forum? I wasn't expecting a news article (it is from The Nation writers after all), but an example of how not to write a headline and story with the most unacceptable racist stereotyping  today that was more common in the early part of the last century when peoples were more ignorant. Surely the In Your Face forum is more warranted?

Edited by MJKT2014
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

No problem with arresting and deporting overstayers (all 6 of those out of the number arrested), however basing arrests on the basis of colour is bigotry. 

so nothing has changed in the evolutionary dept?

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

No problem with arresting and deporting overstayers (all 6 of those out of the number arrested), however basing arrests on the basis of colour is bigotry. 

Yes, it is.

However, if in general many of a group of people are illegal or whatever, it might be construed to be silly to check intensively a group that, in general, isn't illegal or whatever.

Maybe being PC makes doing that effective?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Yes, it is.

However, if in general many of a group of people are illegal or whatever, it might be construed to be silly to check intensively a group that, in general, isn't illegal or whatever.

Maybe being PC makes doing that effective?

It’s not a case of being pc to be against race based police actions. 

It’s a case of knowing that such actions are routed in bigotry and prejudice, rather than evidence. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

...The basis on why people are detained does matter. 

Basing it on colour is bigotry. 

Me, I like police action based on evidence, not prejudice. 

in the normal course of policing,  officials will request 

valid identification.  in the case of fur'ners, will ask to see

passports with valid visas.

those not carrying passports (or copies) will be detained until

they can furnish proof of legal stay.

11 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

in the normal course of policing,  officials will request 

valid identification.  in the case of fur'ners, will ask to see

passports with valid visas.

those not carrying passports (or copies) will be detained until

they can furnish proof of legal stay.

I don’t see a problem in that. 

I do see a problem on racial profiling being the basis for such actions. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

The problem is that black Africans are apparently overrepresented among foreigners that commit crimes in Thailand so then all people that are black and/or from Africa get a problem with the police/immigration, no matter if they are white South Africans or a black Americans they will suffer because people from Nigerian and Ghana are over-represented among those who commit crimes. In the district where I live they don't allow black teachers anymore, that is after all (8) African (black) teachers working in the area ended up in the slammer at least once last year, and it was for anything from drunk driving to aggravated assault and "sleeping" with students...

So don't blame the cops, blame the people that give people of color a bad name!!!

No I’ll continue to blame those who choose to use bigotry rather than evidence as the basis for detaining someone. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

In Thailand, pasty white farangs are a "racial minority", like that term is going to get traction here like it does the nanny-state West? 
Thai authorities would identify Europeans as farang, just another racial minority in counrty..  We should take offense because we're identified as a racial minority.  <laugh>  Profiling in Thailand obviously is not a PC problem.

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

I don’t see a problem in that. 

I do see a problem on racial profiling being the basis for such actions. 

why? 

let's say some ethnicities/nationalities have a deserved reputation

for lawlessness, that an oversized proportion of "tourists" from said

ethnicity/nationality are involved in crime.

doesn't it make sense to target members of those groups, allegedly here

on tourist visas, but doing no tourism?

the police targeted them in 15 areas where they, the criminal element

of those groups, is known to congregate.

i sorta kinda doubt they bothered anyone doing actual tourism activities.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

why? 

let's say some ethnicities/nationalities have a deserved reputation

for lawlessness, that an oversized proportion of "tourists" from said

ethnicity/nationality are involved in crime.

doesn't it make sense to target members of those groups, allegedly here

on tourist visas, but doing no tourism?

the police targeted them in 15 areas where they, the criminal element

of those groups, is known to congregate.

i sorta kinda doubt they bothered anyone doing actual tourism activities.

Racial profiling is bigotry. 

It is rooted in hate and prejudice. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2