China's top paper says U.S. forcing China to accelerate South China Sea deployments

webfact

China's top paper says U.S. forcing China to accelerate South China Sea deployments

2018-01-22T012746Z_1_LYNXMPEE0L02X_RTROPTP_3_G20-GERMANY.JPG

FILE PHOTO - Chinese official prepares the flags for the China-USA bilateral meeting at the G20 leaders summit in Hamburg, Germany July 8, 2017. REUTERS/Carlos Barria

BEIJING (Reuters) - China's top newspaper, decrying Washington as a trouble-maker, said on Monday U.S. moves in the South China Sea like last week's freedom of navigation operation will only cause China to strengthen its deployments in the disputed waterway.

China's foreign ministry said the USS Hopper destroyer came within 12 nautical miles of Huangyan island, which is better known as the Scarborough Shoal and is subject to a rival claim by the Philippines, a historic ally of the United States.

It was the latest U.S. naval operation challenging extensive Chinese claims in the South China Sea and came even as President Donald Trump's administration seeks Chinese cooperation in dealing with North Korea's missile and nuclear programmes.

The ruling Communist Party's official People's Daily said in a commentary that, with the situation generally improving in the South China Sea, it was clear that the United States was the one militarising the region.

"Against this backdrop of peace and cooperation, a U.S. ship wantonly provoking trouble is singleminded to the point of recklessness," the paper said.

"If the relevant party once more makes trouble out of nothing and causes tensions, then it will only cause China to reach this conclusion: in order to earnestly protect peace in the South China Sea, China must strengthen and speed up the building of its abilities there," it said.

The commentary was published under the pen name "Zhong Sheng", meaning "Voice of China", which is often used to give the paper's view on foreign policy issues.

The Scarborough Shoal is located within the Philippines' 200 nautical mile Exclusive Economic Zone but an international tribunal in 2016 ruled that it is a traditional fishing ground that no one country has sole rights to exploit.

The U.S. military says it carries out "freedom of navigation" operations throughout the world, including in areas claimed by allies, and that they are separate from political considerations.

The Pentagon has not commented directly on the latest patrol but said such operations are routine.

(Reporting by Ben Blanchard; Editing by Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-22

China goes apeshit any time there's the slightest challenge to its ideas of what it owns.

It does it about Tibet, about the India border, about Taiwan, ....and about the S.China Sea.

Duterte is a bean bag.  His words indicate he agrees with the Int'l resolution that says the Fils own Scarborough Shoal.  But his actions are that of a wimp.

The US is semi-wimpy.  It sails a ship nearby every 6 to 10 weeks.  If HRC were at the helm of the US military, she would be tougher on China.  She'd be tough on Russia also.  That's why China likes Trump and Putin loves the guy - particularly how Trump is debilitating the US on a daily basis.

4 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

China goes apeshit any time there's the slightest challenge to its ideas of what it owns.

It does it about Tibet, about the India border, about Taiwan, ....and about the S.China Sea.

Duterte is a bean bag.  His words indicate he agrees with the Int'l resolution that says the Fils own Scarborough Shoal.  But his actions are that of a wimp.

The US is semi-wimpy.  It sails a ship nearby every 6 to 10 weeks.  If HRC were at the helm of the US military, she would be tougher on China.  She'd be tough on Russia also.  That's why China likes Trump and Putin loves the guy - particularly how Trump is debilitating the US on a daily basis.

good post but worth mentioning that the US is doing nothing wrong while sailing in these waters, what exactly is China going to do about - publish a piece in the media 

The 2016 decision says it all 

Once claimed by the Fils then the judgment of open fishing grounds , so what makes china to claim it as theirs

It,s history, was maybe theirs but then lost as international waters - just like when Malaysia (here ) or other countries lost territory in wars or or treaties, then they think they have the automatic right to come in & try to regain that or just outright take posession at any cost to environement ( i'm not a greeny who have stopped many projects & employment ) ect 

there are very few countries in the world that can wield a war anywhere in the world - in fact there is probably only one and it certainly is not China, their ambitions in the region  are obvious - dominance In SEA stretching towards the Indian Ocean, China is a bully, western corporate greed has furnished them with technology and wealth and now it is coming back to us as a threat.

I am absolutely certain there will be world war in our near future - history tells us "it is in our nature "

4 hours ago, smedly said:

there are very few countries in the world that can wield a war anywhere in the world - in fact there is probably only one and it certainly is not China, their ambitions in the region  are obvious - dominance In SEA stretching towards the Indian Ocean, China is a bully, western corporate greed has furnished them with technology and wealth and now it is coming back to us as a threat.

I am absolutely certain there will be world war in our near future - history tells us "it is in our nature "

China has a habit of ignoring international conventions, procedures and processes when they don't provide the answer it seeks.

Doesn't bode well for the future. Like all bullies, there bluff must be called at some time because the more it isn't, the more they will do. Timing is important. Don't let them become too much of an equal capability, or worse the number 1. Because they will use that without any qualms.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

China has a habit of ignoring international conventions, procedures and processes when they don't provide the answer it seeks.

Well color me surprised. China took notes on how the USA acts internationally and it ticks the good old USA off. Hahahaha I'm holding my sides.

18 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

Only have two things to say to China?

1. Use any excuse to justify your invasion of an area in the sea that rightly does not belong to you and
  2. Go screw yourself and may you implode.

Cognitive dissonance much?

How is China any different than the USA? They used any excuse to justify their invasion of Iraq, an area in the Middle East which does not rightly (in any way shape or form) belong to them.

Another poster who must be so annoyed that China has learned from the USA how to behave on the world stage. You guys are keeping me entertained today!!

37 minutes ago, mikebike said:

How is China any different than the USA? They used any excuse to justify their invasion of Iraq, an area in the Middle East which does not rightly (in any way shape or form) belong to them.

Another poster who must be so annoyed that China has learned from the USA how to behave on the world stage. You guys are keeping me entertained today!!

We have conflicting attitudes and beliefs? I assure you I have no discomfort from your comment. I can only assume your Chinese with beliefs of a so called super power.  Lets go back a bit in history as just one example. WWII Japan kicking the ass out of China and of course involving the rest of the world and in partnership with Germany and wrongly doing so. So moving on.... USA drops nuke, Few years later leaves Japan to rule itself responsibly. Germany USA leaves but communist Russia stays and creates East Berlin then finall decides too much effort and also leaves Germany to run it's own country... So on and so on. 

Oh and IRAQ its only an invasion if a country  maintains ruling under USA jurisdiction.. well Mr  so called unbiased and knowledgeable person. The IRAQ government has a self elected government. Elected by its citizens under the overview of the UN of which China is a so called member. Chinese Govt self elected by citizens ... mm don't think so...Will never happen in China.

So in short your not being entertained son but taught history son which cost millions of death. Learn from past history. Cause I do not want to see it happen again.

25 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

Oh and IRAQ its only an invasion if a country  maintains ruling under USA jurisdiction.. well Mr  so called unbiased and knowledgeable person. The IRAQ government has a self elected government. Elected by its citizens under the overview of the UN of which China is a so called member. Chinese Govt self elected by citizens ... mm don't think so...Will never happen in China.

So in short your not being entertained son but taught history son which cost millions of death. Learn from past history. Cause I do not want to see it happen again.

"Oh and IRAQ its only an invasion if a country  maintains ruling under USA jurisdiction..."

You're confusing invasion and occupation. 

invasion: "an instance of invading a country or region with an armed force."

occupation: "The action, state, or period of occupying or being occupied by military force."

In fact, Iran was invaded, then occupied. Now it is not occupied.

1 hour ago, wavemanwww said:

We have conflicting attitudes and beliefs? I assure you I have no discomfort from your comment. I can only assume your Chinese with beliefs of a so called super power.  Lets go back a bit in history as just one example. WWII Japan kicking the ass out of China and of course involving the rest of the world and in partnership with Germany and wrongly doing so. So moving on.... USA drops nuke, Few years later leaves Japan to rule itself responsibly. Germany USA leaves but communist Russia stays and creates East Berlin then finall decides too much effort and also leaves Germany to run it's own country... So on and so on. 

4405821-uncle-sam.jpg

9 hours ago, mikebike said:

I don't know where you come from and I am not always in favor of what goes on but it is clear that there are many countries today that don't have our so called freedoms democracies and human rights, I would conclude that religion is evil and has no place beyond our own personal space....................I don't care what you do behind closed doors but when it effects other people then it matters

If memory serves me correctly, Iraq invaded Kuwait, Saddam got too greedy, what is going on now in the middle east is a fine example of why religion is evil - these people cannot get on with themselves and we invite them into the west where they definitely can't get on, take a long hard look at current conflicts around the world and who is involved and "who will be involved in the future"

China Russia N Korea would not tolerate what is going on in all the conflict areas in the world today - they would cleanse it................that doesn't mean that their way is right, the unfortunate truth is that mixed in with all the greed - power mongering - religious diversity - evil ................................... man has a long way to go before there will ever be peace on this planet and it is definitely not the fault of the USA or the countries that support the freedoms principles and human rights that we all strive for...............China is not one of them

Have we moved on from the slaughter that was WW1 and WW2, unfortunately I don't think so, in this age of media saturation see if you can get past 30 mins of a news report or a news page or a news website without the observing some sort of conflict were humans are killing other humans .............................. for what

China will have a go at some point and the world will yet again be thrown into global conflict.................take a long hard look at history, it has a tendency to repeat.............what history are they teaching in Chinese schools - not one any of them like so they have a bone to settle and a point to make and they are starting to make it as foolish as that is

Oh and I also believe that Russia are helping N Korea with their Nuclear aspirations along with China - there is your WW3 shaping up right there  

12 hours ago, mikebike said:

Well color me surprised. China took notes on how the USA acts internationally and it ticks the good old USA off. Hahahaha I'm holding my sides.

Yes of course it's all Trump's fault! If only he had.... I'm sorry, what is it Trump did that makes this his fault?

China? Yangtze Imperialist dogs in red.  Buy more condoms, don't take over every little bit of remaining space on earth.

Trump's grand daughter apparently knows some Chinese songs.  He ought to take her along on a diplomatic trip and teach her how to sing "Don't blow smoke up my arse".

Edited by Damrongsak

1 hour ago, smedly said:

I don't know where you come from and I am not always in favor of what goes on but it is clear that there are many countries today that don't have our so called freedoms democracies and human rights, I would conclude that religion is evil and has no place beyond our own personal space....................I don't care what you do behind closed doors but when it effects other people then it matters

If memory serves me correctly, Iraq invaded Kuwait, Saddam got too greedy, what is going on now in the middle east is a fine example of why religion is evil - these people cannot get on with themselves and we invite them into the west where they definitely can't get on, take a long hard look at current conflicts around the world and who is involved and "who will be involved in the future"

China Russia N Korea would not tolerate what is going on in all the conflict areas in the world today - they would cleanse it................that doesn't mean that their way is right, the unfortunate truth is that mixed in with all the greed - power mongering - religious diversity - evil ................................... man has a long way to go before there will ever be peace on this planet and it is definitely not the fault of the USA or the countries that support the freedoms principles and human rights that we all strive for...............China is not one of them

Have we moved on from the slaughter that was WW1 and WW2, unfortunately I don't think so, in this age of media saturation see if you can get past 30 mins of a news report or a news page or a news website without the observing some sort of conflict were humans are killing other humans .............................. for what

China will have a go at some point and the world will yet again be thrown into global conflict.................take a long hard look at history, it has a tendency to repeat.............what history are they teaching in Chinese schools - not one any of them like so they have a bone to settle and a point to make and they are starting to make it as foolish as that is

Oh and I also believe that Russia are helping N Korea with their Nuclear aspirations along with China - there is your WW3 shaping up right there  

As I approach the 13th anniversary of my elder son's death in Iraq in 2005, I'm reminded of something he emailed on the morning Sept 11, 2001:  " All the history teachers have studied and have known that there is gap in recent years that should be filled by a war, not just a little gulf war. Even I knew it was coming, but I never expected such a violent and unprecedented attack. This could easily erupt into a holy war if there are enough zealots in palestine and elsewhere, and could cause a huge conflict that could spell the end of the muslim faith. I hope it doesn't get that global, but you can be sure the world will not let this one go unpunished. This is without a doubt the biggest, most vicious act of terrorism (if not an act of war) in modern times, if not the history of mankind."  That's from a 17 year old.

When provoked beyond a point, people will react. Others get drawn into it.  People and their nations/governments should behave and deal with their own problems.  A bit of outside help doesn't hurt in unusual times, but cannot be relied upon. 

3 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

As I approach the 13th anniversary of my elder son's death in Iraq in 2005, I'm reminded of something he emailed on the morning Sept 11, 2001:  " All the history teachers have studied and have known that there is gap in recent years that should be filled by a war, not just a little gulf war. Even I knew it was coming, but I never expected such a violent and unprecedented attack. This could easily erupt into a holy war if there are enough zealots in palestine and elsewhere, and could cause a huge conflict that could spell the end of the muslim faith. I hope it doesn't get that global, but you can be sure the world will not let this one go unpunished. This is without a doubt the biggest, most vicious act of terrorism (if not an act of war) in modern times, if not the history of mankind."  That's from a 17 year old.

When provoked beyond a point, people will react. Others get drawn into it.  People and their nations/governments should behave and deal with their own problems.  A bit of outside help doesn't hurt in unusual times, but cannot be relied upon. 

very sorry for your loss, that is so sad and heart breaking

Peace or the avoidance of WW3 so far since WW2 IMO has primarily been due to the nuclear balance between Russia (USSR) and the US and its Allies, everyone would prefer a nuclear free world but unfortunately that is never going to happen so I remain settled with a balance.........but

What is unsettling is countries like North Korea and Iran developing a Nuclear ability (especially Iran), I am not confident or convinced that they have the restraint necessary to have such weapons, it is a scary thought considering the instability in the middle east and the mentality that goes with it in the region - can you imagine if IS had developed a nuclear ability.

The unfortunate reality is that humans don't get on for various reasons, one primary reason is religion but there are others, there is also the threat of one country/leader with ambitions to dominate not only their own people but the world, you only have to take a look at the military budgets of various countries, ask yourself why ? - yes the USA have a huge military budget but unlike others they have no aspirations to take over the world, they have tried to serve as a peace keeper which hasn't always worked but the good intention was there, there just seems to be no way for certain countries (or regions) to have peace amongst themselves when they are given the chance, remove a hard line dictator and the country implodes because they are so underdeveloped and so entrenched in the various strands of their religious beliefs that they simply can't get on and yet they are all muslim - how (deleted) is that ?  

Then along comes China into the mix, we are in for some very challenging times  

Edited by smedly