How to stay safe while in Thailand? Tips please

travelerjax04

I’m travelling to Thailand in three weeks for a romance tour. I’ve heard friends giving me warnings to take care of myself while staying there. They said it’s a nice place but it’s still my first time visiting Asia so I should be careful. Now, I need tips on how to stay safe while in the country.

Are there particular things that I should be aware of? What are the common negative things that happen to tourists there that I might encounter? I need to know this ahead because I don’t want something bad to happen to me while in there.

I’ve already read some blogs and other posts about their experience. It was a mix of good and bad reviews. I need other details though that I have to keep in mind. Is there any guide someone can recommend to me? I need more information. I only have three weeks left to prepare.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, tonray said:

Stay home...the last thing Thailand needs is people coming here to promote the illegal sex industry. If you want to experience Thai culture, food, weather and scenery different story.

Illegal sex industry is very much part of Thai culture.

OP, enjoy, have fun, but don't walk around totally wasted.

Is "romance tour" the new, politically correct for "mongering sexpat"?

I am all for not hiding one's lamp under a bushel, but this being Thailand and all, the distaff interest here tends to be pretty light in the bush(el) department anyway.

...or so I've been told.

3 hours ago, tonray said:

Stay home...the last thing Thailand needs is people coming here to promote the illegal sex industry. If you want to experience Thai culture, food, weather and scenery different story.

Oh dear... Auntie has spoken.

Just do the temples and the local food for the first couple of days to get all the cultural boxes ticked. Then slip on down to the bottom-end of Sukhumvit, grab something to eat at Burger King then stand on the corner of Soi 4, take a deep breath, take off the water-wings, turn south.... and submerge.

Regardless of what you're here for, here are some basic rules.

1) Be careful of pickpockets, especially around tourist hot spots like the area around the Grand Palace. Do not take your sights off your belongings, and pay special attention to where you keep your wallet and phone. 

2) Scams are common around the tourist hot spots too, just make sure you do your research on the different type of scams. You can Google for the Grand Palace schedule which will give you a guideline on the official close dates. 

3) Out looking to try some street-side goodies? A good rule of thumb is if there are people crowding around the stall/cart, it should be safe and good. 

4) Be respectful! The culture here is very different from elsewhere, and the standard gutsy "I get what I want, and now!" attitude usually does not to work outside of say, high class hotels and restaurants. 

5) There may be unavoidable things like official dual pricing for foreigners that could foul some people's moods. I suggest don't think too much about it, and just enjoy your trip. 

Take exactly the same precautions here you would in any other country, including back home - I've been here for 16 years and speak from experience. The only additional rule is, don't ride a motorbike either as a rider or passenger, not anywhere.

Enjoy your holiday.

Common sense is all you need. You can do anything here including riding motorcycles as long as you are sensible (correct insurance etc). Everything else negative is no different to any other holiday destination. Bring plenty of cash and enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

When you arrive employ a native guide.

You will see lots of them on the quayside when you disembark from the steamer.

If you have any problems seek out Van Dimwitt the Trader, in Chinatown.

PS Bring some easily portable shiny things and trinkets to exchange for minor goods and services.

Edited by Enoon

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Take exactly the same precautions here you would in any other country, including back home - I've been here for 16 years and speak from experience. The only additional rule is, don't ride a motorbike either as a rider or passenger, not anywhere.

Enjoy your holiday.

Gee, I'd say your advice is just about useless. Thailand is not like back home. Many of the issues you encounter here will not be encountered back home. And, your prejudice against motorcycles is astounding. Many people enjoy them.

travelerjax40, if you want a good idea of what to watch for in Thailand, read of few of these Thai Visa forums to see how these supposed Thai "experts" fall victim.

11 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Gee, I'd say your advice is just about useless. Thailand is not like back home. Many of the issues you encounter here will not be encountered back home. And, your prejudice against motorcycles is astounding. Many people enjoy them.

travelerjax40, if you want a good idea of what to watch for in Thailand, read of few of these Thai Visa forums to see how these supposed Thai "experts" fall victim.

I enjoy motorcycles also, the trouble is, over 18,000 people die here on motorcycles every year, they are the single largest cause of tourist deaths after drowning!

And you know, I've lived here full time for the past 16 years so I reckon I've got a fair handle on what's dangerous and what's not, case in point, motorbikes! Of course, if a person had no common sense back home then coming here without any isn't going to be helpful.....we presume the OP has plenty.

4 hours ago, ABCinSG said:

Regardless of what you're here for, here are some basic rules.

1) Be careful of pickpockets, especially around tourist hot spots like the area around the Grand Palace. Do not take your sights off your belongings, and pay special attention to where you keep your wallet and phone. 

2) Scams are common around the tourist hot spots too, just make sure you do your research on the different type of scams. You can Google for the Grand Palace schedule which will give you a guideline on the official close dates. 

3) Out looking to try some street-side goodies? A good rule of thumb is if there are people crowding around the stall/cart, it should be safe and good. 

4) Be respectful! The culture here is very different from elsewhere, and the standard gutsy "I get what I want, and now!" attitude usually does not to work outside of say, high class hotels and restaurants. 

5) There may be unavoidable things like official dual pricing for foreigners that could foul some people's moods. I suggest don't think too much about it, and just enjoy your trip. 

And avoid seeking advice from jaundiced expats whose main hobby is blaming  their own sordid life choices on Thais and Thailand.  In fact, avoid any farang who seems overly eager to become chummy.

10 hours ago, travelerjax04 said:

Is there any guide someone can recommend to me? I need more information. I only have three weeks left to prepare.

Do I sense you're young, and kind of backpacker..?

In general, use normal good common sense, and avoid doing stupid things, you would not do at home – presuming you act "normally" at home – some of those having bad experiences here (in Thailand) says, that they did something, they would not even think of doing at home.

Especially stay away from any kind of drugs (also folks using them, even you don't yourself); be careful with what is offered to you, like free drinks, or things that sound too good to be true (often is); if you rent a vehicle (typically motorbike or scooter), be aware of a different traffic culture, where what you think is right, might be "same-same but different" here; and most important: make sure you have a travel insurance and know what it covers, and don't cover...:whistling:

In general Thai's are very kind – and smiling – so just be polite and smile, then you'll get a lot smiles back; Buddha said that »what you send out, is what you get back«. And follow what other (sensible) people are doing, like when to take your shoes off – when entering some shops and houses, and especially holy places – and dress properly when entering temples or places like Grand Palace (no short shorts, weird t-shirt or shirtless, or flip-flap sandals); Thailand do have dress codes.

The expression "romance tour" sounds to me like you are not coming alone, or expect to meet or date someone here; but the meaning is not clear. However, if you expect to mingle romantic with some locals, there are numerous guide-books to help you – plus unaccountable Internet postings – one very good book I can think of and recommend is: "Love Entrepreneurs" by Phil Nicks. You can buy it online, and probably also as eBook. Another often recommended fiction book is "Private Dancer", which is a story about a young western guy falling in love with a gorgeous dancer; including a lot of truth and good advice.

Wish you an amazing trip to Land-of-Smiles...:smile:

There is no such thing Queensberry rules fighting here.  Get in a confrontation, your friends will watch as you are gang beaten to the point of needing hospitalization or perhaps to death.  For all the talk about 'Thai Smiles' and 'Cool Heart', there is immense violence under the surface of a Thai demeanor, and when it comes out, it can be deadly. 
So, you'll need to keep your own cool!  Things you'd be willing to 'duke out man-to-man' in the West - don't do it!!! 
Understand the scams (easily looked up on the Internet), always negotiate prices before you agree to a service, any service  (I can't stress that enough), if you rent anything, use your smart phone to video to video the condition of the property, and get off the streets by midnight and find a place to hang out.  A lot of the Thai-foreigner violence happens in the wee hours when you're drunk and they're high on meth or whatever. 
Have fun!

There's lots of good advice from members above....

Here's a bit more in addition to the other good advice above.. 

Number 1.    Most important....Use your common sense.   You should be very okay.

2.   Learning a few basic phrases in Thai will help.  Like learning to apologise with a wai and say 'I'm sorry" in Thai. Please, Thankyou etc. 

3.   If you see a lot of shoes/sandals/flip flops outside the door of a place, then remove yours before entering.  Especially for temples.  Don't step over someone, don't sit with feet pointed at Buddha statue or monk.

4.   If you drop a Thai currency bill, do not step on it if it to keep it from blowing away.

5.  Don't say anything critical about the Royal Family. Avoid discussing Thai politics.

6.  Don't have too much to drink.  In bars...watch your drink, don't leave it unattended and then return to it.  Don't do drugs.

7.  Take Dukoral before you go.

8.   Be willing to haggle. Especially in markets.  

9.  Enjoy the LOS.    

Edited by Catoni
addition