lower you cholesterol the safe way

catman20

There's a fair amount of responsible research going back twenty years on various nuts (not peanuts, which are legumes) and their relationship to cholesterol levels. People talk arbitrarily about 'lowering' cholesterol, but in fact the goal in most cases is to lower one type (LDL or so-called 'bad' cholesterol), while raising the other (HDL or so-called 'good' cholesterol). The nuts in the research I mentioned appears to do precisely this, and I have been eating a handful of pistachios (one of the most researched and most effective of the group) most days for about ten years. Google it and learn.

According to medical researchers 85% of cholesterol is manufactured by the body, so that leaves 15% that can be controlled by diet. So  if one was to reduce their food cholesterol by 20% then the only affect they will have would be 3%

Is my reasoning and/or math Correct??  

Perhaps Brazilian nuts  have a compound that induces the body to manufacture less cholesterol, and I will give it a try, what do I have to lose, and brazilian nuts taste good.

But I think if Brazilian nuts had a compound that  induces the body to manufacture less cholesterol there would be big money to be made from it and big pharma would be developing it.

Anyway, I would appreciate any critic on my thinking.Nothing would make me happier than to get off statins. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

According to medical researchers 85% of cholesterol is manufactured by the body, so that leaves 15% that can be controlled by diet. So  if one was to reduce their food cholesterol by 20% then the only affect they will have would be 3%

Is my reasoning and/or math Correct??  

Perhaps Brazilian nuts  have a compound that induces the body to manufacture less cholesterol, and I will give it a try, what do I have to lose, and brazilian nuts taste good.

But I think if Brazilian nuts had a compound that  induces the body to manufacture less cholesterol there would be big money to be made from it and big pharma would be developing it.

Anyway, I would appreciate any critic on my thinking.Nothing would make me happier than to get off statins. 

Ingested cholesterol is not a major issue as most gets digested and bound and excreted. High saturated fat content foods and sugars which cause your internal cholesterol metabolism to produce too much is the issue.

Zocor is a particularly nasty statin.  Given its destructiveness, it's scary that President Trump's doctor is planning to increase his dosage of Zocar.   There are reportedly very many people who are negatively affected by statins.  For the experience of one NASA flight surgeon and links to many articles by doctors, see spacedoc.com.  Also refer to articles in Time Magazine (Eat Butter)  and books such as The Big Fat Surprise.  It is now generally acknowledged that cholesterol doesn't cause heart disease.  About this, see many articles in the Health Section of the New York Times. 

The book "The Big Fat Surprise" details how the myth about fat and cholesterol causing heart disease was perpetrated and how people were scammed into taking statins.  The drug companies make BILLIONS of dollars per year selling these drugs. 

For those who are recommending eating tomatoes, beans, pulses, peanuts and almonds, I recommend looking at Dr. Mercola's article online about the problems of semi-poisonous lectins, found in all of these.  Just search on his name and then search for "lectins" on his website.

11 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Zocor is a particularly nasty statin.  Given its destructiveness, it's scary that President Trump's doctor is planning to increase his dosage of Zocar.   There are reportedly very many people who are negatively affected by statins.  For the experience of one NASA flight surgeon and links to many articles by doctors, see spacedoc.com.  Also refer to articles in Time Magazine (Eat Butter)  and books such as The Big Fat Surprise.  It is now generally acknowledged that cholesterol doesn't cause heart disease.  About this, see many articles in the Health Section of the New York Times. 

The book "The Big Fat Surprise" details how the myth about fat and cholesterol causing heart disease was perpetrated and how people were scammed into taking statins.  The drug companies make BILLIONS of dollars per year selling these drugs. 

For those who are recommending eating tomatoes, beans, pulses, peanuts and almonds, I recommend looking at Dr. Mercola's article online about the problems of semi-poisonous lectins, found in all of these.  Just search on his name and then search for "lectins" on his website.

Why stop there....I was waiting for your attack on vaccines too !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My research has shown that oats lowers cholesterol.  I eat Muesli - about 75% oats - every day for breakfast.  I enjoy the taste and it gives me plenty of energy for my morning exercise.  I don't get my cholesterol checked regularly but if my research is right, this is a great way to lower one's cholesterol.

• Like 1

Exercise, Fish oil (Omega-3) both supplements and Omega-3 rich fresh fish like salmon, herrings, sardines, etc., Excercise, less red meat and more veggies, almonds, Brazil nuts, Co-Q-10, Excercise.

2 hours ago, Guy360 said:

Exercise, Fish oil (Omega-3) both supplements and Omega-3 rich fresh fish like salmon, herrings, sardines, etc., Excercise, less red meat and more veggies, almonds, Brazil nuts, Co-Q-10, Excercise.

i agree with you and ive done all those things very hard to change your diet like this and stick to it after 50 years. the point i was making that the Brazil nut made the biggest impact on lowering my cholesterol with the least effort. 

15 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

One Brazil nut a week is more than sufficient! Also, eating too many of them in one go is not a good idea because they’re extremely rich in selenium. 

yes i agree i was told 4 a month would be enough, but i took it upon myself to have 1 a day as i thought it was no big deal and may be better for me.

Edited by catman20

Interesting forum, mostly people in favour of abandoning taking statins. But note the evidence that statins saves lives is very clear. The evidence that Lower LDL saves lives is not clear. Has puzzled me for years, but I presume statins also help reduce inflammation and maybe other things.

I took statins for years until about a year ago i realised my memory had got much worse. I stopped the statins, and in about 2 months  my memory came back.  I have always been absent minded but I had begun to forget words which is very unusual. Incidentally my hearing got much better also. Of course this is not evidence many things could cause this to happen. Sooner or later I may well try statins again Because as I said statins save lives.

cheers

nick

On 1/27/2018 at 12:18 PM, worgeordie said:

Where do you buy the Brazil nuts from,would like to give

it a try.what would happen if you ate 2 a day ?

regards Worgeordie

I actually eat four almonds a day late in evening, it has lowered my cholesterol quite a bit, my diabetician took me off the statins, and is monitoring my blood once a month - cholesterol went from 224 down to 106 in three months.  Sorry, I bought them in Binh Tanh Market in Saigon and carried them to Thailand, don't know where you can get fresh Almonds in Thailand.

3 hours ago, nickcar said:

Of note also, anybody taking statins must also take CoQ10.  I understand that it is standard in New Zealand for doctors to prescribe CoQ10 with statins but not in Thailand. 

My diabetician in Bumrungrad prescribed me CoQ10, 10mg once a day in evening.

Edited by TunnelRat69

4 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I actually eat four almonds a day late in evening, it has lowered my cholesterol quite a bit, my diabetician took me off the statins, and is monitoring my blood once a month - cholesterol went from 224 down to 106 in three months.  Sorry, I bought them in Binh Tanh Market in Saigon and carried them to Thailand, don't know where you can get fresh Almonds in Thailand.

almonds can be bought in foodland or friendship 

20 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

One Brazil nut a week is more than sufficient! Also, eating too many of them in one go is not a good idea because they’re extremely rich in selenium. 

So you will doze off to sleep quite easily??  but maybe at the wrong times, like behind the wheel of your car??  

1 minute ago, tonray said:

No.. Your hair will fall out... Really

Gaaah!!!  I have spent a lot of time trying to keep my hair,  at 68 I still have a full head of hair, don;t need any help losing it  -  No Brazil Nuts for me.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Gaaah!!!  I have spent a lot of time trying to keep my hair,  at 68 I still have a full head of hair, don;t need any help losing it  -  No Brazil Nuts for me.

I think you need to eat a lot of nuts to lose your hair.. A small amount of OK 

It all depends if you have a heart desease, if not, why worry about cholesterol?
If you have a heart desease, doctors will for sure prescribe statins (between 20 and 40mg). Besides this, no more eggs, squid, shrimp and probably things will stabilize. But the build up of cholesterol in your veins will not go away but build up in the best case will stop or slow down. So far, unfortunately no miracle treatments available so basically the only available solution is plumbing (stents, bypass)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Sad 1

I had my cholesterol checked in the UK in June last year,it was 6.9 when the alleged safe level is <5.

The quack offered to put me on statins but I opted to try to reduce it without them.

I already got a lot of exercise and ate reasonably healthily but this is what I changed.

I introduced rolled oats and soya milk into my breakfast cereal.I already ate fresh strawberries,blueberries & banana with it.

Lots of fishy salads as an evening meal with a handful of mixed nuts doused with extra virgin olive oil.

Changed to Benecol Olive spread,it's actually very nice.I live for most of the year in the UK & Sainsbury's do a really nice walnut cob.

If I have any red meat,eggs or something that is alleged to cause an increase in cholesterol I take a Benecol drink with the meal.

Had a check just before we flew out to Thailand and it had gone down to 6.1.Will see the quack again when I get home to find out the HDL/LDL ratios.