Fixing laptop batteries

LazySlipper

Hi,

Does anyone know of anyone who has the skills to replace the batteries in a laptop?

Amorn used to do it but they no longer do. Guess their skills brought them more headaches than cash.

I watched videos on youtube and it seems easy enough if you know what you are doing. Unfortunately I don't.

Why do this? I have a laptop that is not commonly sold here in Thailand and I can't seem to find the batteries for it. I imported a pack from China and it makes the computer crash.

I am located near Pattaya but am willing to travel if anyone knows a good enough techy.

Thanks

Sorry for wasting forum space... I should think like a hard drive...

It's a panasonic cf-c1 toughbook and I doubt this would help. Had to order it from UK cos none here in Thailand.

Thanks for the help though. Will go check it out.

1. Did you ever replace your batteries there?

2. How long ago was this if you did?

Really difficult to find anyone who dares do this, but I will go give it a go.

Thanks again

I'm confused. Are you asking about replacing the 'cells' in an existing dead battery pack?

That may not be possible with every pack. There are smart electronics on the pack that monitor and report the battery usage to the BIOS and OS that may not be able to be reset to recognize new cells.

Also... have you tried doing a simple google search: panasonic cf-c1 toughbook battery 

4 minutes ago, RichCor said:

I'm confused. Are you asking about replacing the 'cells' in an existing dead battery pack?

That may not be possible with every pack. There are smart electronics on the pack that monitor and report the battery usage to the BIOS and OS that may not be able to be reset to recognize new cells.

Also... have you tried doing a simple google search: panasonic cf-c1 toughbook battery 

That is what I am seeking to do.

As mentioned before, can't find panasonic cf-c1 replacement batteries here and ordered one from China but no good.

I googled everything under the sun in regards to this battery.

Thanks

You can also try contacting Panasonic Business here in Thailand, see what they say:

https://en.business.panasonic.co.th/computer-product/contact-us

Battery Pack (6000mAH/7.4v)
Description:

Compatible With : CF-C1

Part Number : CF-VZSU66U

Lead time : Please contact Panasonic

Panasonic Siew Sales
(Thailand) Co.,Ltd.
75 Seri Thai Road, Kannayao,
Kannayao District
Bangkok 10230, Thailand

If you have the ultrasonic welded square pack, some are a bitch to open and repair. Pantip Plaza has a battery repair shop that understands group cell charging circuits and testing but they wont take on difficult packs.

Many DIY fixers replace cells only to find that one group of the charging circuit had failed making it a waste of time and effort. Its a job that really does require some understanding of how these multi cell chargers work and the risks involved. 

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

You can also try contacting Panasonic Business here in Thailand, see what they say:

https://en.business.panasonic.co.th/computer-product/contact-us

Battery Pack (6000mAH/7.4v)
Description:

Compatible With : CF-C1

Part Number : CF-VZSU66U

Lead time : Please contact Panasonic

Panasonic Siew Sales
(Thailand) Co.,Ltd.
75 Seri Thai Road, Kannayao,
Kannayao District
Bangkok 10230, Thailand

Thanks will give that a go. Some are better at googling than others... cheers!

In case you don't know already: This can be bloody difficult and you should only look for an expert who knows exactly what he is doing.

Probably there will be enough people who are able to just change the cells, but that is not enough.

I am reasonable skilled with electronics and some time ago I looked for a replacement battery for a phone which I couldn't get. I found another one which was basically the same size and specifications, just the connectors were located differently. I though myself: no problem , I will just change the piece of plastic with the connectors from the old to the new battery. So far so good, until I removed the plastic with the connectors from the old battery only to find some micro electronic behind it. To make the story short: It didn't work and I wouldn't try it again...

On 29/01/2018 at 5:46 AM, LazySlipper said:

It's a panasonic cf-c1 toughbook and I doubt this would help. Had to order it from UK cos none here in Thailand.

Thanks again

See? Once we have the exact details, the forum members come out to play. :smile:

If all else fails, I'll pick one up in the UK for you.

But you'd need to confirm within this week.

On 1/30/2018 at 7:19 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

In case you don't know already: This can be bloody difficult and you should only look for an expert who knows exactly what he is doing.

Yes, I would never replace cells within a battery again. Did it once in Fortune Mall, Bangkok several years ago, computer long since gone now. Complete waste of money, only lasted a day and failed. Better off just running off mains power supply.

1 hour ago, WorriedNoodle said:

Yes, I would never replace cells within a battery again. Did it once in Fortune Mall, Bangkok several years ago, computer long since gone now. Complete waste of money, only lasted a day and failed. Better off just running off mains power supply.

I think what people have to keep in mind is that if the computer works with the new battery pack will only show after at least one recharge in the device.

If someone replaces the bad batteries with new batteries which were possibly fully charged before they were inserted into the device that shows only that the batteries work once at that moment. It does not show that the charging in the device works in the way it should. And that seems to be the bigger problem with modern "batteries". Because they are a lot more than just the sum of the cells.

On 1/30/2018 at 11:17 PM, KneeDeep said:

See? Once we have the exact details, the forum members come out to play. :smile:

If all else fails, I'll pick one up in the UK for you.

But you'd need to confirm within this week.

I pm'd you. sorry for the delay.

I bought one off ebay already. Put in in and it made my computer crash. Charged it per instructions but to no avail. Now I have to send it back to china... and Thailand does not allow to ship batteries. I tried anyway despite the risk.

Thanks all for the advice. 

1 hour ago, LazySlipper said:

I bought one off ebay already. Put in in and it made my computer crash. Charged it per instructions but to no avail. Now I have to send it back to china... and Thailand does not allow to ship batteries. I tried anyway despite the risk.

Thanks all for the advice. 

1. I don't think the battery makes a computer crash (i.e. blue screen). But maybe you call it "crash" when you switch the computer on and i.e. in 5 seconds it switches off again. Maybe you like to explain your "crash". What happens if you are connected to main power? No crash? The problem could also be the (charging) electronics in your notebook. Maybe the battery is fine.

2. About sending back batteries: I bought batteries and other staff a couple of Chinese suppliers. Sometime I had problems with the parts. I informed the company and they asked me to take a picture or a video to prof the problem and that was good enough. They never asked me to send the broken parts back, they just send replacements. But all the parts I talk about cost less than 1,000B

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 12:46 PM, LazySlipper said:

Thanks again

unreal...I have a cf-c1 and need my battery redone...I tried 2 places and they both said cant do..ihave opened the battery pack(not too easy) and it is 4 lithiums inside,now I am trying to find a shop to replace these batterys...please let me know if you have any luck...and I will do the same ...what a coincidence.555

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

unreal...I have a cf-c1 and need my battery redone...I tried 2 places and they both said cant do..ihave opened the battery pack(not too easy) and it is 4 lithiums inside,now I am trying to find a shop to replace these batterys...please let me know if you have any luck...and I will do the same ...what a coincidence.555

if you have the same machine and if you are not far away from each other maybe you can try his new battery. Maybe it works in yours. Win/win for both of you.

The guy on the 3rd floor at Tukcom mentioned earlier will be able to say if he can change internal cells or not and he won't charge for that free consultation. He did some battery packs for me a few years ago, older battery technology but he said that if all the cells are dead, then there's no sense in replacing them all; it doesn't work that way. He checks the cells and if there's at least 1 that is still holding a charge, he will replace all the rest and retain the remaining good one(s).

His shop is on the east (third road) side of the building near the top of the escalator and maybe a couple of shops away from the elevator towards the front of the building. Has a port wine stain on his face, speaks good English and charged me 800 baht for 2 battery pack rebuilds and did a mobo swap on a laptop in about 3 hours at no charge (I supplied the replacement mobo).

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

1. I don't think the battery makes a computer crash (i.e. blue screen). But maybe you call it "crash" when you switch the computer on and i.e. in 5 seconds it switches off again. Maybe you like to explain your "crash". What happens if you are connected to main power? No crash? The problem could also be the (charging) electronics in your notebook. Maybe the battery is fine.

2. About sending back batteries: I bought batteries and other staff a couple of Chinese suppliers. Sometime I had problems with the parts. I informed the company and they asked me to take a picture or a video to prof the problem and that was good enough. They never asked me to send the broken parts back, they just send replacements. But all the parts I talk about cost less than 1,000B

A CF-C1 has 2  separate batteries. When I put in the new one my computer turned off very suddenly e.g.crash. No blue screen. I ran "who crashed' software and it did not detect any errors. Right I run it on one battery instead of 2. When I run with the good battery I can change sockets and it charges just fine. So, in conclusion, sure it is a battery problem.

5 hours ago, mok199 said:

I am close to pattaya. I will let you know about any solution I find. I will get around to going to Tuckcom Pattaya when I get a chance. Everything postponed for now had surgery last week so no time to follow up. 

Cheers

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

if you have the same machine and if you are not far away from each other maybe you can try his new battery. Maybe it works in yours. Win/win for both of you.

Sent my battery back to China for return. Will try next time if I have same problem!

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The guy on the 3rd floor at Tukcom mentioned earlier will be able to say if he can change internal cells or not and he won't charge for that free consultation. He did some battery packs for me a few years ago, older battery technology but he said that if all the cells are dead, then there's no sense in replacing them all; it doesn't work that way. He checks the cells and if there's at least 1 that is still holding a charge, he will replace all the rest and retain the remaining good one(s).

His shop is on the east (third road) side of the building near the top of the escalator and maybe a couple of shops away from the elevator towards the front of the building. Has a port wine stain on his face, speaks good English and charged me 800 baht for 2 battery pack rebuilds and did a mobo swap on a laptop in about 3 hours at no charge (I supplied the replacement mobo).

thanks... I will go see him ...

18 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I don't think that he is there any more.  Not sure as to where he has moved, as I cannot remember the name of the shop.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, RichCor said:

'Take it to bits' YouTube poster BigClive recently did a video taking apart a laptop battery and explaining why some fail prematurely. 

Sometimes his lithium-ion battery tear-down videos end in spontaneous combustion...

I suggest read the info in the previous post first and look at the videos of the exploding batteries to give you an idea what might happen if you do it wrong.

LiPos are dangerous!

Archived