Apartment owner charging 800 baht to replace old toilet seat

KarlosInBKK

Wasn't sure which forum to put this in so hope it's ok here.

I've been in apartment for almost two years and the toilet seat has slowly been splitting and now it's fully broken. For me it's general wear and tear, but the owner passed a message on through her receptionist to tell me that it will be 800 baht to replace it. I live in a serviced apartment. It's only 800 baht but I'm just curious what you guys think. Should I pay or should they replace it for free?

No need for responses like the usual "cheap Charlie" remarks. Thanks.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the real world the owner would be responsible, but this is Thailand and getting an owner to do any maintenance is almost impossible. (money only flows one way) Why don't you go and buy a cheap replacement that you can use and put the broken one back when you move out. 

Usually the owner pays this, i did never have a problem about it, except once.

This water jet thing at the toilet was leaking at an apartment where i stayed at this time. I told the reception about it, they had a look at it and called the owner about it. Then told me i would have to pay for it. So i told them if i have to pay i move out end of this month. They called the owner again, and then suddenly: Ok, don't have to pay, they fix tomorrow morning.

They just try to get as much money from you as they can ;)

6 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Likely to result in loss of any security deposit,  isn't it?

Correct me if Im wrong. If 2 weeks overdue in rent, landlord can order eviction, this can take at least 2 more weeks to implement. No more security deposit to worry about.

3 minutes ago, keithpa said:

Correct me if Im wrong. If 2 weeks overdue in rent, landlord can order eviction, this can take at least 2 more weeks to implement. No more security deposit to worry about.

You're looking at it from a western procedural perspective, the chances are that in Thailand you'll end up down an alley somewhere.

5 minutes ago, keithpa said:

Unless you deposited 2 months ;)

And we are in Thailand here, the landlord would maybe just change the lock, or block your keycard or whatever to make you pay

7 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Check your lease, its often quiet common for the tenant to be responsible for repairs, especially shops etc, but not unheard of in residential leases.

Agree with the above, check your lease. Remember having one a few years ago that replacements/repairs under x,xxx baht (don't remember the figure) were the responsibility of the occupants. Seemed fair to me.

9 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Agree with the above, check your lease. Remember having one a few years ago that replacements/repairs under x,xxx baht (don't remember the figure) were the responsibility of the occupants. Seemed fair to me.

My previous landlord was a yank, I went two weeks over, then moved out, no damage, happy to lose 2 weeks rent and landlord was ok about  it. If a person is mug enough to rent off a thai, it their funeral.  ( I broke the lease)

Edited by keithpa
add

29 minutes ago, chrisinth said:
39 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Check your lease, its often quiet common for the tenant to be responsible for repairs, especially shops etc, but not unheard of in residential leases.

In my real estate contract, I have to pay for anything under 1000 baht. Of course, that's a signed agreement. I usually pay myself if it's a bit over 1000 baht too as I couldn't be bothered with bugging the landlord too much as in old places things often need repair/replacement. He's had his hand's full repairing or replacing large ticket items.

A lot of people don't like renting through real estate agents, but I disagree - it's the way to go if you find a good one. I'd rather deal with the agent than the landlord. I learned this the hard way. I had been dealing directly with foreign landlords for over 10 years and now much prefer the agent. There's too much emotion involved if you're dealing directly with the owner.

Edited by tropo

We had our landlady come and replace our light bulbs last week. Totally free., totally true. 

Mind you, when you live in a road where 20% of the houses have the for sale or rent signs up, I think some landlords would prefer the hassle of 'replacing and paying for a toilet seat' themselves than losing a valued falang tenant. Been Pattaya 2 years now, same houses and condos and flats unrented - well they rent them and the Thai tenant fails to pay and then runs off.

I'd say, your Landlord things not a lot of you. 

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

We had our landlady come and replace our light bulbs last week. Totally free., totally true. 

I would not like a personal visit from a landlord every time I needed new light bulbs. Maybe she's using it as an excuse to keep a close eye on you.

2 hours ago, dp4868 said:

In the real world the owner would be responsible, but this is Thailand and getting an owner to do any maintenance is almost impossible. (money only flows one way) Why don't you go and buy a cheap replacement that you can use and put the broken one back when you move out. 

Won't work, as the owner will just take it out of the bond.

I'd just go and buy a new one and replace it myself. I'm sure I can find one for less than 800.

1 hour ago, keithpa said:

I have no idea about any of the eviction procedures or laws  in Thailand.   I only know I would never want to put myself in a position where I would be subject to eviction.

And indeed I would personally go ahead and replace the seat myself and yes I would not take it with me when I vacated the apartment.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Won't work, as the owner will just take it out of the bond.

I'd just go and buy a new one and replace it myself. I'm sure I can find one for less than 800.

Toilet lids/seats are not as easy as you may think. It might be hard to find a match. It's not like you can just buy the cheapest one and fit it. I need new lids myself, but the toilet bowls are about 20 years old.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

Toilet lids/seats are not as easy as you may think. It might be hard to find a match. It's not like you can just buy the cheapest one and fit it. I need new lids myself, but the toilet bowls are about 20 years old.

Speaking as one that has installed a few toilet seats, it's really not difficult.

If it was a rental, I wouldn't give a monkey's if it matched or not, as long as it stayed on.

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Speaking as one that has installed a few toilet seats, it's really not difficult.

If it was a rental, I wouldn't give a monkey's if it matched or not, as long as it stayed on.

I want to get some new ones soon. I do care how they look and match. Should I take the old seat down to Home Pro? Where would you recommend I go?

1 minute ago, tropo said:

I want to get some new ones soon. I do care how they look and match. Should I take the old seat down to Home Pro? Where would you recommend I go?

See the Homepro online earlier. For 250 baht the OP can make this problem go away but he seems determined to fight a war on a principle which will cost him far more, how much is your time worth to you OP, how much is a sound night sleep worth! 

5 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

See the Homepro online earlier. For 250 baht the OP can make this problem go away but he seems determined to fight a war on a principle which will cost him far more, how much is your time worth to you OP, how much is a sound night sleep worth! 

Nothing matches my seat there. Anything close costs well over 1000 baht. I'll definitely need to take the old one down with me LOL. Perhaps an old mom & pop hardware store will more likely have some matching seats that have been collecting dust for decades.

2 hours ago, tropo said:

Is the brand American Standard which is common?