Any chance of the malls opening at 9am in the near future?

Hal65

I'm not used to malls opening so late (11am for Royal Garden and Central Festival. I think Central Marina and Harbor are very close. Tukcom opens at 10am but most shops don't open until 11am). Is this common in other cities in Thailand too? Do the malls start earlier if/when a city grows? I mentioned in the other thread that Big C is closing 2 hours later which is nice, would also be good to see earlier opening malls.

If there would be demand, they would open earlier.

If you need to shop at early hours - most BigC's and Tesco's can almost be considered malls too as there are numerous other shops connected, and some of those BigC and Tesco Centers open as early as 8 am

16 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Difficult to get staff to start any earlier!!!

Or we cesspoolians in general. There's being in Pattaya and then there's being of Pattaya. OP seems in the former camp so far but we may hope for his progress.

36 minutes ago, DMC1 said:

I think Harbor opens at 10am and Big C Extra at 9am, but not all shops open inside at those times. 

BigC Xtra open earlier than that. Probably 08:30 or 08:00 and up to 02:00

BigC South Road open even earlier. 07:00 I think, and up to midnight.

But as you said, if BigC is open, many shops in the mall open only 1 or 2 hours later.

Having lived in Bangkok and Pattaya, there's no point in going out shopping at 10 am. In fact, many shops, for example, at Fortune Town and Pantip Plaza, don't raise the shutters till 11 am. Same at Tukcom. I think, overall, you can blame the employees who show up when they bloody well feel like it -- if they show up at all. I've seen shop shutters raised around noon when the sign says 10 am opening.

To the OP, the answer is a resounding No!

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

3 hours ago, tolsti said:

it is very common in BKK for them to open at 11 am also. I am led to understand that some open at 10.30 on Saturdays.

Not only in Thailand, later start for shops is common in many Asian countries.

In some cases it's connected to only employing one shift of workers, but probably other reasons too.

Not likely to change.

Hal65, get used to late starts and late closing. This is Thailand where early shoppers go to 7/11 and the open markets but where most workers shop in the evenings on their way home and when it is cooler. If you plan to live here you need to adjust to local ways and accept that a few farangs are not going to change anything.

4 hours ago, tolsti said:

it is very common in BKK for them to open at 11 am also. I am led to understand that some open at 10.30 on Saturdays.

Actually that's not true.  Siam Paragon opens at 10.  Central Chidlom opens at 10.  MBK opens at 10.  Silom Complex opens at 10:30.

3 hours ago, DoctorG said:

As an early riser I find the late openings a bit annoying. Early walk done. Breakfast done. Showered and dandified. What to do now?

:smile:

I find the same problem with pubs in Bangkok that serve breakfast but don't open until 9 or later. The American Bar & Grill though does open at 8, so that problem has been solved :smile:

I remember it was during  Mr. Taksin first or second mandate that one of his Minister decided to force the Malls to open at 11h00.  It was to save electricity cost and the Minister said to help the employees have shortest working hour.

It was also during the same era that the Minister of Public order  decider to impose the famous law for not selling alcohol between 2 pm and 5 pm.

Older expats must remember those time.  Me, I was visiting as a tourist at that time so it was more than 10 years ago.

And most owners, managers & "higher-ups show whenever they feel like......or not at all, if they have the slightest headache etc.   Welcome to Thailand. And don't forget that everybody needs to have breakfast or lunch before even considering getting into the serious task of working.....No clue about the real world in many places, but nonstop moaning and whinging about hard life & no money....MS>

Anyone know when the first movie showings are at SF cinemas at the Avenue or Central Festival / Marina?

I was surprised to find SFX at Central Festival to have showings as late as 1am (maybe even 1:30am). CF closes at 11pm but you can make your way up there probably through the parking garage.

14 hours ago, cnx355 said:

I remember it was during  Mr. Taksin first or second mandate that one of his Minister decided to force the Malls to open at 11h00.  It was to save electricity cost and the Minister said to help the employees have shortest working hour.

I have lived here for close to 30 years and the big malls (at that time most were in BKK apart from Royal Garden in it's infancy) have never really opened before 10am at the earliest, certainly there was no 'rule' made to force them, it is all to do with market forces / closing times, if they were to open earlier then it would probably either mean closing earlier, or another shift of workers and therefore cost, that is probably just not worth it, basically it is a trade off, open early close early or open late close late.

People quote Big C extra as an example of open early, which is true, it is a supermarket, if you observe 90% of the shops / stalls that are within the building, most are rarely open before 10am.

There is a big advantage in someways to closing later, as the office hour workers can actually go shopping, unlike places like the UK, where the usual late night (8pm!!) is on a Thursday, otherwise join the mobs at the weekends.

I can't see Thailand changing their ways for many a decade to come.

Edited by Mattd