Video: Dramatic moment as pick-up overturns after oncoming car refuses to pull in

webfact

9 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

The one who caused this had to be drunk.  If he had just stayed on the middle line ...

image.png.6ba78bb6039034169b475f8c24cbc184.png

I just took the exact same screenshot, thinking similarly.... and I’m not sure that the use of the word “accident” is appropriate.

I am somewhat relieved that the oncoming vehicle is not a coach or minivan with full of passengers but also relieved no one is seriously injured as it is a conclusion of the January outcome. And this February is definitely ongoing with no cure .....:-/     

Edited by nabbie
grammar

6 hours ago, Thian said:

And i bet he doesn't have an expensive amulet neither. So he asked for it.

I remember sitting in  a market in BKK about 5 years ago while a monk had an amulet installed in a perspex case.  He explained to me that it would stop bullets from killing him.  Why does a monk have to fear being shot to death?  Rhetorical question!!!!  TV Forums gives us plenty of examples of what some (many???) of them get up to that might make them fear for their lives.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

Drunk  Drugged , asleep. stupid or bl@@dy minded (me first).  Whatever!! We see it nearly every day (only because I am not on the road every day.)   This guy had stacks of room.  Both other cars were almost right off the road, trying to avoid him.  Hub of selfish, impatient, inconsiderate, frequently incompetent and sometimes, downright stupid drivers.  Number one in the world for road traffic deaths.  And I can't be criticised by the most ardent nationalist for saying this.  I live here and love the place, (mostly)!!!!  Driving here is one of the few exceptions.  This sort of behaviour is commonplace.  So far we have not been hit yet.  Fingers crossed for tomorrow.  Three hours plus, to spend on the world's most dangerous roads.

But...was the driver contributing to Thailand's wonderful image or not?

Surely that is the most pertinent question to ask,and the only basis on which his (or any other Thai's) behaviour should be judged..

Shockingly vile driving is not back on the hot air agenda until Songkran.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

either drunk or on facebook or both, I can think of no other rational reason for this, the vehicle he was overtaking was also off the road so there was plenty of room

I honestly believe that Mobile Phone use is the number one cause of accidents in this country, drunk driving, careless driving and speeding come after in any order you like or a combination of all of them, the ultimate blame is lack of the police's ability or willingness to enforce traffic law

I certainly wouldn't jump to any conclusions about the driver being drunk. That has to be verified by the police.

How ever you ease a good point about mobile phones.

In UK and other European countries the gradual move towards zero crashes has been set back recently and many believe that phones are at least a contributory factor.

It has been shown that even hands free phoning interferes with a drivers ability to react to the road.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain the resounding crash as he passes the black pickup.

10 hours ago, gunderhill said:

NO, they "EXPECT" you to get out of their way and if you don't  understand  this  you shouldn't drive here, in my case I refused to move over and in their  attempts to swerve  back in they flipped  their  pick up over, so justice was served."

your playing a very dangerous game of chicken with someone who is a  half wit Thai i assume you are a farang ? you may not be so lucky next time.

• Like 1

Ohhhh <deleted>...this happened to me last week.  I almost crapped my drawers...I have no idea how I didn't end up dead.  I was only meters away from going past an oncoming "farm truck" coming in the opposite direction, when the car behind it, swerved full on into my lane, to pass the "farm truck".  I reefed on the steering wheel with everything I had in a fraction a second.  I don't know if I was actually, only on the 2 drivers side wheels, or 99% of the vehicle weight was balanced on the drivers side wheels, but the Fortuner was about as close to roof surfing as can be.  Potential police report:  5 skid marks found, 4 from vehicle, 1 from driver

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

The one who caused this had to be drunk.  If he had just stayed on the middle line ...

I'm not sure your deduction is sound my dear Watson, try falling asleep at the wheel....................whilst drunk, that might do it.

• Like 2

I drive a lot and this driver of white vehicle was drunk or asleep. Most Thai drivers try their best to avoid collisions. They pass a lot but there is a lot of room on that road and the one car being passed has pulled over to the side to help the white car passing but the white car passing is clearly drunk or not paying attention. Not a typical situation in Thailand IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

I drive a lot and this driver of white vehicle was drunk or asleep. Most Thai drivers try their best to avoid collisions. They pass a lot but there is a lot of room on that road and the one car being passed has pulled over to the side to help the white car passing but the white car passing is clearly drunk or not paying attention. Not a typical situation in Thailand IMO. 

unfortunately using a mobile phone is common place, when you are surfing facebook while driving you are not paying attention 

I have personally witnessed 3 serious accidents as a pedestrian and seen some very erratic driving when on my bike,   all of these have been down to the driver having their face buried in a mobile phone, also been a passenger on many forms of public transport and the drivers of buses minivans taxi's  MB taxi's routinely use mobile devices while driving, it is IMO the primary cause of accidents on Thai roads bar none, I have also seen vehicles with video playing in front of the driver on the dashboard..........seriously

I have seen pedestrians walk into things and other people while having their faces buried in a mobile device - it is a disease and is causing accidents and deaths on Thai roads 

check this out

Footage posted on Facebook showed a Bangkok bound minivan driver with a load of passengers playing with his mobile phone throughout the journey.

Full story: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1023057-video-just-another-day-travelling-in-thailands-infamous-minivans/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

I just took the exact same screenshot, thinking similarly.... and I’m not sure that the use of the word “accident” is appropriate.

I too showed my TW the very same screen shot.  She has a licence and just drove home from Lotus but she is a very nervous driver.  If this had happened to her she would never want to drive or ride her scooter again. By the by.  We had lunch looking out over a road earlier and nearly everone walking past were looking at their little screens , I think like someone posted above it has become an addiction , how many out there drive looking at their phone things , I see many on scooters doing it every day ?

• Like 1