Video: Dramatic moment as pick-up overturns after oncoming car refuses to pull in

webfact

11 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

I saw this sort of behaviour going on all the time when I lived in Thailand.

I was only forced off the road once-but once was enough.

The person in the wrong should pay for all the damage. In my eyes its man slaughter so jail time 10 years. Many thai's have no brains. Please police not let him get away with 500 baht fine and wa wa wa. MAKE HIM PAY WHERE IT HURTS HIS MONEY AND LOSS OF FAMILY LIFE FOR 10 YEAR

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

19 minutes ago, smedly said:

unfortunately using a mobile phone is common place, when you are surfing facebook while driving you are not paying attention 

I have personally witnessed 3 serious accidents as a pedestrian and seen some very erratic driving when on my bike,   all of these have been down to the driver having their face buried in a mobile phone, also been a passenger on many forms of public transport and the drivers of buses minivans taxi's  MB taxi's routinely use mobile devices while driving, it is IMO the primary cause of accidents on Thai roads bar none, I have also seen vehicles with video playing in front of the driver on the dashboard..........seriously

I have seen pedestrians walk into things and other people while having their faces buried in a mobile device - it is a disease and is causing accidents and deaths on Thai roads 

check this out

Footage posted on Facebook showed a Bangkok bound minivan driver with a load of passengers playing with his mobile phone throughout the journey.

Full story: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1023057-video-just-another-day-travelling-in-thailands-infamous-minivans/

Would not doubt white vehicle driver using the phone for Facebook or something distracting.  I just don’t see it on any type of regular basis when driving outside BKK or Phuket. Driving from BKk to the south and back and looking forward to it. 

8 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

"With trees on the left and the white pick-up blocking his path a collision was inevitable."   How about using the brake under his foot? Combine that with lower the speed. Combined with using your <deleted> head! Still probably a collision.. but slower... 

There's always going to be one idiot who blames the victim. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

I saw this sort of behaviour going on all the time when I lived in Thailand.

I was only forced off the road once-but once was enough.

Here another one, and it will not change as long as we have to deal with the Thai mentality.

Get used to it.

8 hours ago, leeneeds said:

This would not have happened if the pick up driver flashed his lights,

oh how stupid of him,

Was thinking the same thing, they think if they flash their headlights they have right of way. Used to see this 4-5 times every time I travelled to Buriram, including a bus coming straight at me

11 hours ago, gunderhill said:

NO, they "EXPECT" you to get out of their way and if you don't  understand  this  you shouldn't drive here, in my case I refused to move over and in their  attempts to swerve  back in they flipped  their  pick up over, so justice was served."

What gets me is this maniac was even recognised by the car he overtook, being the small black utility . Notice that car pulls well over to the left to allow this moron room to get back into his lane yet doesn't? No wonder death rates No 1 in the world. I also congratulate the black utility at least he has a brain!

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

I remember sitting in  a market in BKK about 5 years ago while a monk had an amulet installed in a perspex case.  He explained to me that it would stop bullets from killing him.  Why does a monk have to fear being shot to death?  Rhetorical question!!!!  TV Forums gives us plenty of examples of what some (many???) of them get up to that might make them fear for their lives.

In BKK we have a mall where 2 floors (big ones) are only for selling amulets...it's pretty busy in there and they only sell amulets or small statues of monks. I guess there's big money going around there , some amulets are very old. The tiny shops are open daily and there are more than a hundred of them.

12 hours ago, gunderhill said:

they "EXPECT" you to get out of their way and if you don't  understand  this  you shouldn't drive here, ...

The video of this accident should be shown on EVERY flight, train & ship headed for Thailand. 

The above words (from gunderhill) should be displayed in large print as the video plays. 

Edited by Gregster
Spell

4 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I doubt anyone has ever gotten a ticket for an unsafe lane change here though, unless there was a collision because of it, because that would require some police enforcement other than a checkpoint.

And there lyes the other half of the problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helloagain said:

The person in the wrong should pay for all the damage. In my eyes its man slaughter so jail time 10 years. Many thai's have no brains. Please police not let him get away with 500 baht fine and wa wa wa. MAKE HIM PAY WHERE IT HURTS HIS MONEY AND LOSS OF FAMILY LIFE FOR 10 YEAR

Doesn't manslaughter  require that someone actually die?

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wavemanwww said:

What gets me is this maniac was even recognised by the car he overtook, being the small black utility . Notice that car pulls well over to the left to allow this moron room to get back into his lane yet doesn't? No wonder death rates No 1 in the world. I also congratulate the black utility at least he has a brain!

which is why I don't think this was an overtaking at all, the black car is clearly right over to the left leaving the left lane clear, no need at all to move across the road like this idiot did, he either fell asleep or was distracted and "not looking where he was going" - the latter being obvious because you don't just drive into a car on the opposite side of the road, if the white car on the opposite side hadn't been there this guy was going into the opposite hedge regardless

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

I suspect there's a lag between audio and video & that it's the same crash.

Maybe...then it raises the question of what the camera driver thought he was doing to avoid the accident.

It is pretty obvious that the white car for one reason or another had veered to the wrong side of the road, but the video does not make distances widths speeds etc clear.

As with most road incidents the initial fault can be seriously compounded by inappropriate or tardy actions of others involved in the incident.

I have noticed on many roads around the world that drivers of limited competence have a tendency to try and drive around oncoming or unusual road situations rather than stopping and letting them go past. Breaking is the last resort for them.....They take the attitude that they are in the correct lane at a legal speed and therefore it is up to everyone else to get out of the way. This mindset appears to override any safety considerations, often until it's too late.

People don't know why the white truck was one the wrong side of the road so they just guess it was drunk driving or phone. They DON'T KNOW....They are guessing and if that turns out to be the case, they turn round and say told you so. That's like someone who backed a winner on the Grand National claiming they are an expert on race horses....it doesn't follow.

There may be plenty of other reasons for this aberrant behaviour (e.g. medical,interference, sleep,mechanical) but we don't know. What we CAN say is the vehicle is where it shouldn't be and it looks to many that evasive action leaves some room for improvement. Just because one vehicle is in the wrong  or you assume the driver was drunk, it doesn't mean the other didn't need to do anything..his reactions can prove vital.

I think the sound track needs looking at too.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Haha 1

I watched it imagining that I was driving and was shocked. It is not unusual to encounter a misjudged overtaking maneuver but one expects drivers to try to avoid a collision, and from where I was sitting there was nothing more I could have done or needed to do.  Clearly he was out of control, I think the observation that the accident was what saved him from running off the road into the trees is correct.