Dow Jones stock index hit by record falls

webfact

Dow Jones stock index hit by record falls

The White House is "concerned" about the fall on US stock markets after the Dow Jones Industrial Average dropped by 1,175 points.

The leading US stock market index closed down 4.6% at 24,345.75.

The White House said: "We're always concerned when the market loses any value but we're also confident in the economy's fundamentals."

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42942921

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2018-02-06

Humor...

Trump Considering Firing Dow Jones Industrial Average

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—After watching it suffer its worst losses since he became President, Donald Trump is “seriously considering” firing the Dow Jones industrial Average, aides have confirmed.

Reportedly, Trump is mulling replacing the Dow with a new system, in which Sarah Huckabee Sanders would appear every day at 4 p.m. to announce how high stocks had skyrocketed.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/trump-considering-firing-dow-jones-industrial-average?mbid=social_twitter

In the same way that the stock market's rise doesn't say much about the real economy, this fall doesn't either. 

Context Matters. The Stock Market Drop Is Less Scary Than It Seems.

It can be easy to be misled by big point swings after a long period of quiet in global markets.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/05/upshot/context-matters-the-stock-market-drop-is-less-scary-than-it-seems.html

Has Trumphoria Finally Hit a Wall?

"When talking about stock markets, there are three rules you have to remember. First, the stock market is not the economy. Second, the stock market is not the economy. .."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/05/opinion/stock-market-trump.html

OK, Donald took full credit for the big stock market upturn over the last year although the market had been on the upturn for years under Obama.  But now let's watch Donald blame everything and everyone under the sun (except himself) for the recent stock market big downturn.  

Donald takes credit for good things, but not bad things---he's just that kind of guy.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

OK, Donald took full credit for the big stock market upturn over the last year although the market had been on the upturn for years under Obama.  But now let's watch Donald blame everything and everyone under the sun (except himself) for the recent stock market big downturn.  

Donald takes credit for good things, but not bad things---he's just that kind of guy.

True, Trump is an imbecile who'll take credit for anything and everything.  But how about the schmucks who actually believe the orange baboon?  That level of stupidity should be outlawed. 

14 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Help us, Donald! You made the stock market go up, can't you stop it from going down???

This comes just a few days after his boastful remarks about the DOW.  Could it be time for him to close his mouth for a few days or am I being over optimistic?

He should just say something really stupid about something else to switch focus to that instead.  Threatening North Korea is getting old, and there never was much to go on about related to Israel after he created a problem out of thin air by moving the embassy.  If push comes to shove he can just curse, or degrade women or some minority.

It would have been good if the Donald hadn't been quite so self congratulatory on the rise, as everything that goes up must come down etc.

Given the stock market is just gambling by rich folks, I'm hoping it's going to get really bad for the rich folk that think they're clever by making money out of nothing. 

OK let's not get carried away (yet).  It isn't a crash and is being put out as an "adjustment".  The Dow has dropped 6 points in two days.  In the last crash it dropped 12 points in a day.   Best to see how it settles but I think the days of cheap money are coming to an end soon.

34 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

OK let's not get carried away (yet).  It isn't a crash and is being put out as an "adjustment".  The Dow has dropped 6 points in two days.  In the last crash it dropped 12 points in a day.   Best to see how it settles but I think the days of cheap money are coming to an end soon.

Be good if that happens. Cheap money is destroying the planet.

I'll be really happy if interest rates go up. The banks have been stealing the interest I should have been making for years. As one had no debt for 40 years I only stand to make money on savings. I'm hoping, but still expect the banks to screw me anyway.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It would have been good if the Donald hadn't been quite so self congratulatory on the rise, as everything that goes up must come down etc.

Well that's the whole crux of it.  Trump's name wouldn't have even come up the last couple of days that the market tanked, if not for the fact that the orange buffoon has been taking credit for the market going up this past year.  Over and over again.  The market moves up and down and the President has very little to do with it.  But Trump, along with his band of idiots, loves to take undeserved credit.  Well now the chickens have come home to roost. 

Just on tv now that it's the largest single day drop in history.

I'd like to see who sold everything BEFORE the crash, and who buys up large AFTER.

The answer to everything is to "follow the money".

interesting article on

https://21stcenturycicero.wordpress.com/2008/02/11/how-a-group-of-international-bankers-engineered-the-1929-crash-and-the-great-depression/

One thing is for sure, the lemmings that bought stocks because they were going up will be regretting now. Like a co worker of mine in 1987 that was boasting how much money she was making, but she wasn't laughing when it crashed. 

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Just on tv now that it's the largest single day drop in history.

I'd like to see who sold everything BEFORE the crash, and who buys up large AFTER.

The answer to everything is to "follow the money".

interesting article on

https://21stcenturycicero.wordpress.com/2008/02/11/how-a-group-of-international-bankers-engineered-the-1929-crash-and-the-great-depression/

One thing is for sure, the lemmings that bought stocks because they were going up will be regretting now. Like a co worker of mine in 1987 that was boasting how much money she was making, but she wasn't laughing when it crashed. 

Actually there is another thing for sure. Gary Allen's, the author of what you link to, was a loony conspiracist .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Allen

14 minutes ago, INDI12 said:

1517913160797.jpg

Some things are too good to be true. This is one of them:

People are falling for a fake Trump tweet about the 'Dow Joans'

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Cute but people should know that is a FAKE tweet.

"trump" has made enough REAL ridiculous, hypocritical, and inflammatory tweets there there really should be no need to invent them. 

You beat me posting it by a matter of seconds. Funny, I don't recall any instance of even one Trump supporters rushing to debunk a false post that favors their side of an issue much less two.

Edited by ilostmypassword

I've long been skeptical about how much 'average Joe' Trump supporters actually have invested in stocks, and yet they haven't hesitated to cite the rising stock market as a prime reason why they support him. Bit strange, don't you think?

The Richest 10% of Americans Now Own 84% of All Stocks

source: http://time.com/money/5054009/stock-ownership-10-percent-richest/

Edited by Gecko123

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

I've long been skeptical about how much 'average Joe' Trump supporters actually have invested in stocks, and yet they haven't hesitated to cite the rising stock market as a prime reason why they support him. Bit strange, don't you think?

The Richest 10% of Americans Now Own 84% of All Stocks

source: http://time.com/money/5054009/stock-ownership-10-percent-richest/

Trump supporters aren't the brightest people.  Which is why they're....Trump supporters. 

Since Donald loves to brag about the biggest this, biggest that, he can now brag the biggest point drop ever on the DOW stock market occurred on his watch.    Even the Trump Cheer Leading News Network (a.k.a., FoxNews) has it on their front page at this moment in time....see below.

image.png.f92f3aad2136f968ca1c8a3f1b4792ca.png