Chillva Market bans smoking

webfact

Chillva Market bans smoking

The Board of Action on Smoking and Health Foundation said that there are about 10 million Thai smokers and 42,000 – 50,000 smokers die from smoking-related diseases every year.

By Kritsada Mueanhawong

IMG_4368-1021x580.jpg

‘Action on Smoking and Health Foundation’ plus Phuket authorities have signed a Memorandum of Understanding for a smoking-free zone at Chillva Market on February 10, aiming to expand the non-smoking areas in public spaces.

The ceremony was chaired by Phuket’s Vice Governor, Prakob Wongmaneerung, and the MoU was signed by the Board of the foundation, Saranya Boonsom, Chillva Market Executive, Thitanan Thanapakpong, Phuket Public Health Office Chief, Padungkiet Utoksaenee, Phuket Mayor, Somjai Suwansuppana, Rassada Deputy Mayor, Pawat Suppasuwan and Reporter Club President, Junjira Sittabut.

“I’m glad that every sector realises the importance of public health protection, especially children and juveniles, from getting passive smoke from smokers,” said the Vice Governor.

Full story:  https://www.phuketgazette.net/lifestyle/well-being/chillva-market-bans-smoking

pgazette_logo-20170817.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2018-02-13

So is there a smoking free zone at the market as indicated in the article or is the market smoking free as indicated in the headline?

Don't see it happen, since the market stall holders will most likely be smoking.

47 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Don't see it happen, since the market stall holders will most likely be smoking.

And burning smokey bbq's and unprotected deepfry pans of course....not to mention the extension powercables laying in puddles of water.

Last week i was smoking on the parkinglot of an open air shoppingcentre...there was a streetvendor 10 meters away who had tables and chairs outside.

Then a father of a kid came to me and told my wife that it was a no-smoking area but there weren't any signs to be seen...I walked to the motocy taxi's to smoke with them 10 meters away but i was amazed this father was so serious....if he hated smoke he shoudln't eat 50 baht food in open air and go in a real restaurant which were all around us.

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, stevenl said:

So is there a smoking free zone at the market as indicated in the article or is the market smoking free as indicated in the headline?

I was in Madang in Papua New Guinea  twenty years ago at an open air market.... Shit and filth everywhere... Real third world stuff.  Rolled a smoke and went to light it up.. Woo hoo a toothless old crone got fair up me!!  Smoking not allowed apparently.

I didn't light my smoke..... Quite bizarre. 

5 hours ago, timendres said:

The beer garden / food court near my home allows smoking - ashtrays are on the tables. But I always step outside to smoke. No one wants to smell cigarette smoke while they are enjoying their meal. As smokers, we should be considerate enough to smoke away from the other people, and in Thailand that is so easy to do. If we were more considerate of the others, they would be more tolerant of our habit. Simple courtesy.

You'll love up country Myanmar.  Stop at a roadside ' restaurant ' and the "waiter " brings an ashtray and five cigarettes before you order your " food". Love this place.  Everywhere has a cigarette lighter hanging on strings for patrons use.  No PC  bullshit up here. 

Edited by tryasimight

4 hours ago, tryasimight said:

You'll love up country Myanmar.  Stop at a roadside ' restaurant ' and the "waiter " brings an ashtray and five cigarettes before you order your " food". Love this place.  Everywhere has a cigarette lighter hanging on strings for patrons use.  No PC  bullshit up here. 

Well i respect nonsmokers and will go outside to smoke but many times even expensive hiso thai restaurants even don't have an ashtray or smokingplace at all.

And when i'm smoking outside a restaurant i don't like to be inbetween loads of spitting somchai's who even spit in the ashtray.

On parkinglots between stinky cars i think i have the right to smoke, if they don't want it they should put no-smoking signs around.

I would like to see myanmar though, waiters in thailand never bring me what i want, they even can't speak inlit.

And i'm stiill searching for a good portable ashtray-keyhanger but can't find it in thailand...will have to buy it in a more developed country i guess.

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Well i respect nonsmokers and will go outside to smoke but many times even expensive hiso thai restaurants even don't have an ashtray or smokingplace at all.

And when i'm smoking outside a restaurant i don't like to be inbetween loads of spitting somchai's who even spit in the ashtray.

On parkinglots between stinky cars i think i have the right to smoke, if they don't want it they should put no-smoking signs around.

I would like to see myanmar though, waiters in thailand never bring me what i want, they even can't speak inlit.

And i'm stiill searching for a good portable ashtray-keyhanger but can't find it in thailand...will have to buy it in a more developed country i guess.

"And i'm stiill searching for a good portable ashtray-keyhanger but can't find it in thailand...will have to buy it in a more developed country i guess."

Yes, go and find a more developed countries where smoking is not frowned upon.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thian said:

On line just google it.

Wholesale-Stainless-Steel-Pocket-Portable-Mini-Keychain.jpg

Do somehow the laws of Thailand not apply to Phuket? Same with the immigration laws, where they also make their own. Smoking at markets is already illegal, so why did have to sign this memorandum?

21 hours ago, timendres said:

The beer garden / food court near my home allows smoking - ashtrays are on the tables.

Smoking at places that serve food is also illegal. The pub can be fined, and everybody who smokes, too. Of course many things are not enforced in Thailand ;)