Gearing Up for Chinese New Year

snoop1130

Gearing Up for Chinese New Year

by CityNews

S__5750792-1024x576.jpg

CityNews – Warorot Market is getting lively now that the Chinese New Year is nearly here.

The upcoming Chinese New Year will start on February 16th, and Warorot Market will be hosting the celebrations between February 16th and 17th. Market vendors are offering numerous goods to welcome this annual tradition for Thai – Chinese people and you can see the traditional Chinese women’s qi pao costume lining racks of various vendors.

Sawat Kumyodjai, 61, a vendor at the market told CityNews that this year the ambience is very lively as many companies are encouraging their employees to dress up for the celebrations. Prices of qi pao range from 499 baht to 699 baht.

Full Story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/gearing-chinese-new-year/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2018-2-15

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Because it was a slow day(like every day) I was wondering why is it called "Chinese New Year"?  I thought this was a celebration of the Lunar New Year?  

Umm let me think hard. Could it be because the Lunar New Year signals the begining of a new calendar year for the Chinese race and is celebrated in a very big way in China?

In South 

20 hours ago, saakura said:

Umm let me think hard. Could it be because the Lunar New Year signals the begining of a new calendar year for the Chinese race and is celebrated in a very big way in China?

Umm, in S. Korea it is called "Seolla".  It also signals the beginning of the new Lunar Year.  Many Koreans take a min-vacation and go home or travel(like the many also in LOS).  This is why I ponder why it is called "Chinese New Year".  

Edited by sqwakvfr
Grammar