No changes to US visa requirements and conditions despite rumors on Thai social media

No changes to US visa requirements and conditions despite rumors on Thai social media

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTA3My81MzY1MzgyL2FtZXJpY2FuLXZpc2EuanBn.jpg

Image: Sanook

US visa authorities have denied Thai social media rumors that changes have been made to the requirements and conditions of a variety of visas to visit the United States.

Following a posting on the SJC Inter Studies by P'Koi site that has 3,000 followers nearly 5,000 shares were made with many people worried that new policies were in place.

Citing a law office in Arlington, Virginia the rumors said that visa time frames had been shortened and that destinations in the US stated on the visa could not be altered. 

This applied to Non-Immigrant visas such as tourist, student and temporary working visas.

The US authorities have confirmed there have been no such changes. 

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-02-17

1 hour ago, Thian said:

What about the rule that USA visa-applicants have apply 1 year before they depart? Even Europeans had to follow that new rule which was introduced last year. Is it still like that?

That is probably for certain immigrant visas.

No such rule exists for non immigrant visas which is what the topic is about.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is probably for certain immigrant visas.

No such rule exists for non immigrant visas which is what the topic is about.

IIRC that rule was to protect the USA from terrorists, even european ones. So i don't understand why certain visa's will be given easier.

Anyway, that vague rule made me skip the usa of my travellist...

1 hour ago, Thian said:

IIRC that rule was to protect the USA from terrorists, even european ones.

Not sure what rule you are writing about.

I don't recall any restrictions being placed upon Europeans. There was a short list of countries that could not get visas for a while and others had some additional screening requirements.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

So i don't understand why certain visa's will be given easier.

There is big difference between the 2 visa clases.

A non immigrant visa is for tourists, business visitors and some students.

Immigrant visas are for residency or long term stays for working and etc.

UJ is  quite correct- I just checked into Visas for my Thai wife and family- they can be obtained in about 2 days- Non Immigrant Visa- and give a 6 month stay and validity of 10 years.

The Immigrant Visa is  a year long process because  it provides long term residency in the US. One gets a Residence ID Card (Green Card). To enable this an applicant has to obtain medicals; police clearances etc.  Very Similar to someone apply for Permanent Residence in Thailand which often takes a year or more to obtain.

• Like 1