New Retirement Visa after 12 month ban for overstay

Has anyone experienced problems arriving back to Thailand after being banned for 12 months for overstay. Aussie friend had been on Retirement Visa for several years but unwittingly failed to extend, hence 20000 fine and 12 month ban. If new retirement visa approved in Oz, can he expect any hassle on arrival at Swampy?Legit guy, house n wife here.Thanks for any info!

He should not have a problem on entry to the country as long as it is after the 12 months.

He could though have a problem boarding his flight if the ban is still shown in APIS (advanced passenger info service). There was a case where a person entered the country once but was denied boarding a 2nd time because the airline had just started using APIS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

If new retirement visa approved in Oz, can he expect any hassle on arrival at Swampy?Legit guy, house n wife here.Thanks for any info!

Having a visa approved doesn’t guarantee hassle free entry to Thailand.

It would be worth carrying a copy of his marriage certificate and, if questioned about his reason to visit again, make it clear he’s visiting his wife. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Some airlines are not using Thailand's APIS yet.

He could ask them if they can do a check before buying the ticket.

FYI :–

All international airlines flying into Thailand must now provide Advanced Passenger Information prior to the passenger boarding the flight.

The airline is not able to check if a prospective passenger will be given a denied boarding feedback code by the APIS before they book the flight.  The system does not have a facility for the airline to submit a ‘dummy passenger’ test.

Unfortunately the only way the person will know if the Thai immigration database is still showing that they are banned, is when they check in and the APIS either gives an OK to board or a deny boarding feedback code to the check-in clerk.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Thanks Joe, I assume one could check with airline when buying ticket?

Unfortunately, the APIS only operates shortly before the flight, when the airline sends the list of checked in passengers through to Thailand and receives their reply. The airline does not have access to the database immigration uses to respond to APIS notifications.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, elviajero said:

It would be worth carrying a copy of his marriage certificate and, if questioned about his reason to visit again, make it clear he’s visiting his wife. 

Marriage certificate by itself is pretty worthless here. Look at the 50 pages of documentation ones has to provide for a marriage based extension of stay. Even after 5 years of marriage with two kids and living in the same place all that time .

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Look at the 50 pages of documentation ones has to provide for a marriage based extension of stay. 

You must be a special case then, as our immigration office just requires the usual few copies, papers and photos.

10 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

You must be a special case then, as our immigration office just requires the usual few copies, papers and photos.

Which amount to 50 pages, more or less, as they  require two copies of everything.. They keep one copy in their office while they send the other for approval to some head office. The list of basic requirements amounts to about 12 items. And then how many pages in your passport, bank book, how many birth certificates for your kids, 3 photos, etc.. ? Looks like you've never done an extension based on marriage.

And why do use a photo of my cat as avatar?

Edited by KiChakayan

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:
20 hours ago, BritTim said:

Unfortunately, the APIS only operates shortly before the flight, when the airline sends the list of checked in passengers through to Thailand and receives their reply. The airline does not have access to the database immigration uses to respond to APIS notifications.

If find it remarquable that embassies ans consulates don't perform this check, using the same channel, when issuing visas... 

It is certainly desirable. Unfortunately, Thailand is not unique in having the different ministries developing their own systems, and jealously guarding access to them. As far as I am aware, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of the Interior have no systems in common. I doubt if the Immigration Bureau even makes its systems widely available to other departments within the Ministry of the Interior. There are some valid security justifications, but much is simple turf wars.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

It is certainly desirable. Unfortunately, Thailand is not unique in having the different ministries developing their own systems, and jealously guarding access to them. As far as I am aware, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of the Interior have no systems in common. I doubt if the Immigration Bureau even makes its systems widely available to other departments within the Ministry of the Interior. There are some valid security justifications, but much is simple turf wars.

SOAP or even REST web services can be secured as per any requirement. I have worked and led projects involving exchange of services between ministries at the EU level using WS. One of them being a global EU trademark search, federating registries of all EU countries. The technology was remarkably lean. 

So you are right they are aware that cooperating between department could threaten their jobs.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I have done ten extension based upon marriage and each set of copies has never totaled to 25.

Just to be accurate and to close the issue I checked my application of last month at Buriram office:

Passport 5
Birth Certificates 2
Maps 2
Marriage 2
Photos 3
Bank book 6
Letter Bank 1
TM6 1
TM30 1
Application Me 2
Declaration Wife 1
File covering Letter 1

Total                                                 27

Edited by KiChakayan
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:

Just to be accurate and to close the issue I checked my application of last month at Buriram office:

Passport 5
Birth Certificates 2
Maps 2
Marriage 2
Photos 3
Bank book 6
Letter Bank 1
TM6 1
TM30 1
Application Me 2
Declaration Wife 1
File covering Letter 1

Total                                                 27

Yet another good reason to stay single.   :biggrin:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Acemaker said:

Yet another good reason to stay single.   :biggrin:

Not such a big deal, I just raised it to underline that the marriage registration paper, by itself, bears little significance for immigration. But if you asked me I'd say that, when there is a family with two kids, a Kor Ror 3 submitted once a year and maybe a house visit every 5 years would be more than what's needed. But T.I.T.

The Advanced Passenger System may flag him as it is Thailand that gives the OK on passengers boarding. Immigration needs to update their computer system to remove the man from its Blacklist.  I wonder if if does this automatically or someone has to ask the Immigration Department to do this as the 'ban' has expired.  I seem to remember on case on this site in which someone in a similar situation had to 'request' removal.

It might be worth it to ask Immigration itself how to handle this. Since he has a Thai wife- a phone call to Immigration in Chaengwattana may clarify the whole thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

Marriage certificate by itself is pretty worthless here. Look at the 50 pages of documentation ones has to provide for a marriage based extension of stay. Even after 5 years of marriage with two kids and living in the same place all that time .

We are discussing someone getting back in the country after a ban. The comment on extension paperwork is irrelevant.

Many IO's will likely take a dim view of someone entering after a ban for overstay. Having a visa and a good reason to re-enter will be two things that will help placate the IO. If he is given a hard time at the border it would be beneficial to make it clear he is visiting his wife rather than just a tourist. Having a copy of the marriage certificate might help if evidence of the reason for his visit is asked for.

• Like 1