"We can't stand it any longer!" Three aunties hold press conference on sidewalk outside house at center of illegal parking drama

webfact

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not sure this 'careless parking' issue is from people who consider themselves above the law... it's just by people who simply 'don't consider'....  i.e. they don't consider the law or that they may be inconveniencing anyone at all.... Their attitude to anything is a perpetual 'so what!'....

'People of Means' is rather vague, ultimately anyone with a Job can get a car in Thailand... looking at how consistently the traffic laws are broken by both drivers of four-wheeled and riders of two-wheeled vehicles in Thailand it is clearly apparent that no one regardless of financial wealth or social status has any regard for Traffic Law's whatsoever.

Thai people don't follow laws that aren't enforced.  Neither do people anywhere else in the world. 

My comment about above the law rich people was in reply to a post questioning why towing isn't used.  In an earlier post I suggested making towing profitable for businesses that can prove they towed illegally parked cars.  Thai people are very entrepreneurial, if a profitable business could be created by towing illegally parked vehicles these businesses would spring up.  However the rich and connected will never allow laws that result in their expensive cars being towed.

Some car owners assume convenient parking is a right.  It isn't.  Before buying a car in Thailand people should consider where they will use it and where they will park it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

A woman who ruins a car with an axe should be arrested, fined and ordered to pay damages.

The illegal Parker should get a parking violation

In a civil dispute their is no recourse to take the law into your own hands.

In this case the choice was to take the law into their own hands, or to continue to endure the law breaking.  The police wouldn't do anything.

• Like 1

What did the poor car do it is an inanimate object? By your logic the harpy could attack the driver with a hoe and face no punishment as the police " wouldn't do anything". Perhaps Thailand should take a lesson from  "Nanny States". Contract with private towing companies to remove cars illegally parked on private or public property. The cars are held under impound until civil fines, towing fees, AND storage fees are payed. No payment then the cars are taken by the government and sold at auction after 30 days.  A very profitable business. I have had very good luck stopping people from parking in a reserved space just by leaving a large orange cone. No excuse for vilolent property damage.

I went to a HomePro type of store once in Issan where they had about a dozen forklifts on display with prices shown.

I was surprised at how  relatively inexpensive they were.

My vote goes for the forklift removal method with minimal damage to the vehicle.    Just take  the vehicle as far away as possible.

1 hour ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

What did the poor car do it is an inanimate object? By your logic the harpy could attack the driver with a hoe and face no punishment as the police " wouldn't do anything". Perhaps Thailand should take a lesson from  "Nanny States". Contract with private towing companies to remove cars illegally parked on private or public property. The cars are held under impound until civil fines, towing fees, AND storage fees are payed. No payment then the cars are taken by the government and sold at auction after 30 days.  A very profitable business. I have had very good luck stopping people from parking in a reserved space just by leaving a large orange cone. No excuse for vilolent property damage.

I agree towing is the ideal solution, but it's not an option in Bangkok.  It seems they had no option other than to continue to endure or take action themselves.  I don't condone the property damage, but I sympathize with the years of frustration that led to it. 

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

I went to a HomePro type of store once in Issan where they had about a dozen forklifts on display with prices shown.

I was surprised at how  relatively inexpensive they were.

My vote goes for the forklift removal method with minimal damage to the vehicle.    Just take  the vehicle as far away as possible.

Old ladies should not have to purchase, store, maintain and operate a forklift to keep their driveway clear of illegal parking.

• Like 1

ONe point here is, you can’t lay a decade of Parking frustration on this one person. Poor parking is a way of life in Thailand. She obviously lost her cool and was way out of line. It would be like if you worked at a bar and people snuck in every night not paying cover. Just because you’ve had to deal with 10,000 people sneaking in doesn’t mean you are suddenly given permission to go ballistic on that 10,000th person. That’s a rationalization. Each person would have to be judged independently of all others. She’s basically admitted, perhaps without knowing it, that she smashed the car to get back and let her frustrations out for all the people who’ve ever done this. That’s not right. Hammer-time lady is way outta line and lost her cool, should be no soup for her. 

Edited by utalkin2me

7 hours ago, delh said:

Cones are used extensively here in Samui by owners of property, not by local government. Seems to work.

Yep cone it off. Pay the dude who sells noodles 100 baht a day to keep a lookout. Move. Do Whatever you need to do, just like anybody else in life, before you reach the point of actually looking like a maniacal axe murderer on a public street. Anyone who reaches that point is wrong; there’s no discussing it. 

Edited by utalkin2me

Btw did anyone else notice, this was the scene from the big Lebowski. When the dude goes in to speak to the kid who is stonewalling, even though they know it’s his homework. Then outside “I will kill your <deleted> car...”. 

I think hammer-time auntie is a huge big Lebowski fan who got carried away. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Yep cone it off. Pay the dude who sells noodles 100 baht a day to keep a lookout. Move. Do Whatever you need to do, just like anybody else in life, before you reach the point of actually looking like a maniacal axe murderer on a public street. Anyone who reaches that point is wrong; there’s no discussing it. 

End of Topic then... utalkin2me (I think he's actually talkin' to everyone) said so regardless of the extenuating circumstances. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, utalkin2me said:

ONe point here is, you can’t lay a decade of Parking frustration on this one person. Poor parking is a way of life in Thailand. She obviously lost her cool and was way out of line. It would be like if you worked at a bar and people snuck in every night not paying cover. Just because you’ve had to deal with 10,000 people sneaking in doesn’t mean you are suddenly given permission to go ballistic on that 10,000th person. That’s a rationalization. Each person would have to be judged independently of all others. She’s basically admitted, perhaps without knowing it, that she smashed the car to get back and let her frustrations out for all the people who’ve ever done this. That’s not right. Hammer-time lady is way outta line and lost her cool, should be no soup for her. 

Correct.  However when the police refuse to enforce the law, some people will take the law into their own hands.  Incidents like this may be what is required to get the police off their *sses and do their job, for a little while.

6 hours ago, heybruce said:

Old ladies should not have to purchase, store, maintain and operate a forklift to keep their driveway clear of illegal parking.

I fully agree with you.

But at the same time if the authorities offer no better solution I'd hope they 'd consider such an option.

I think they have been bent over by circumstance and they deserve a resolution.

Edit:  and it could provide a small  bit of SATISFACTION       :smile:

Edited by watcharacters

4 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Btw did anyone else notice, this was the scene from the big Lebowski. When the dude goes in to speak to the kid who is stonewalling, even though they know it’s his homework. Then outside “I will kill your <deleted> car...”. 

I think hammer-time auntie is a huge big Lebowski fan who got carried away. 

It matters not a bit how many times I've watched the film.  

It ranks right up there with Groundhog Day and many,  many others.   ( meant to be a recent comment)

Edit:   Damn  I honestly laughed again after reading and reacting to your post once more.    That is such a great film.    I'm not even addressing the scene of driving down the block with the smoking roach in his seat/pants.   How great.     I'd be fine  to have this  as part of my exit but  it sadly  won't  be my choice.    I'll be dead.     555

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

End of Topic then... utalkin2me (I think he's actually talkin' to everyone) said so regardless of the extenuating circumstances. 

I can’t think of anything more based in fact than what I said...

unless you’re being physically attacked, if you behave and look like an axe murderer on a public street, it’s not going out on much of a limb to assume you’re in the wrong. 

8 hours ago, watcharacters said:

It matters not a bit how many times I've watched the film.  

It ranks right up there with Groundhog Day and many,  many others.   ( meant to be a recent comment)

Edit:   Damn  I honestly laughed again after reading and reacting to your post once more.    That is such a great film.    I'm not even addressing the scene of driving down the block with the smoking roach in his seat/pants.   How great.     I'd be fine  to have this  as part of my exit but  it sadly  won't  be my choice.    I'll be dead.     555

"It's not that you're wrong, it's just that you're an *sshole!"  

I had those words directed at me, with good cause.  It's a great movie.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
So according to this the reports of illegal parking being the cause of not getting their dying relative to hospital on time are BS, and aside from inconvenience i fail to see how they are claiming the moral high ground after smashing that motor up.

The pickup owner should get a standard ticket, and these morons a VERY hefty fine for criminal damage

Isn't there any towing company to call to tow unauthiruzed parked vehicle in a property?

Sent from my BND-L34 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 21/2/2018 at 5:08 AM, z42 said:

So according to this the reports of illegal parking being the cause of not getting their dying relative to hospital on time are BS, and aside from inconvenience i fail to see how they are claiming the moral high ground after smashing that motor up.

The pickup owner should get a standard ticket, and these morons a VERY hefty fine for criminal damage

I agree. Perhaps finding out who is responsible for enforcing laws then smashing their car would have been more appropriate but I don't condone violence so I don't agree with smashing any one's car.  I offer peace and hugs.