Czech tourist plunges to death at Samui waterfall

webfact

Czech tourist plunges to death at Samui waterfall

By Thai PBS

samui1.jpg

A 32-year-old Czech tourist was killed after he fell 30 metres down  waterfall in Koh Samui, off Surat Thani province while posing for photo near the edge of the cliff on Thursday (Feb 22).

Jiri Barta, a tourist from Czech Republic, travelled on a rented motorbike to Bang Khun Sri waterfall with eight other tourists, according to a Briton who was among the group.

Barta walked to the edge of the cliff and asked his friend to take photo of him. However, as he posed for photos, he lost his footing and plunged down below.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/czech-tourist-plunges-death-samui-waterfall/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-02-23

I also fell there very hard...those stones are slippery and there's nothing to hold yourself.

But i went up the waterfall because we couldn't swim in the lower basin.

They should make it deeper so we can swim there, that's what tourists do on holiday.

I knew something had occurred as I passed two separate groups at the top (Canopy Adventures) and bottom (1km or so from the mosque) as I crossed Soi 1 towards Maenam on Tue afternoon.

Rescue and Tourist Police were already in attendance & IIRC I noted a back-board and ropes at the higher location as we drove past.

RIP to the deceased & condolences to his family.

7 hours ago, observer90210 said:

It is tempting to say something stupid thinking it's funny, but a man died here.   RIP to the poor chap and one can really never be to cautious in such places. Be safe all.

It's not funny at all, and i feel so disappointed when somebody makes fun of tragic events.

Just think of the immense pain of the relatives and loved ones.

I remember once, on my first trip to Thailand, climbing a waterfall in CM, just to find a group of young tourists on the top, having great fun walking and laughing on the very slippery edge of it... I said to my companion, let's go down quickly, suddenly there was no fun at all.

..But, i have been climbing mountains, and i faced death a couple of times, i guess some young people need that experience, which sometimes ends in the wrong way.

RIP young guy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alex8912 said:

RIP very sad. Is this the same waterfall that the 20 something Israeli died at in Samui? There was supposedly a warning sign at that one. 

No, that was Namuang waterfall. 

Latest accidents at this waterfall here. 

2 hours ago, mentalcolonization said:

thats a stupid death. some  people don't know  the value of life . i wonder why he hadn't thought of taking a selfie in the middle of a highway. anyway  RIP

Please read the article.  He did not take a selfie, so you might want to think about retracting the 'stupid death' idea.  

15 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

You mean a concrete pool at a beautiful natural waterfall,  there is a private waterfall with water slide and concrete pool on Samui, Tourist will still climb in the jungle and die, three-four deaths involving waterfall accidents on samui yearly. 

I have visited lots of waterfalls in Thailand and other countries and I know the dangers, but most tourists have no knowledge about nature at all!

There are slimy algae growing on rocks and stones in the water, making them very slippery, but when waterlevel is low and these rocks are exposed to air they dry and looks safe to walk on, but if your feet are wet when you step on them they immediately become slippery as ice!

So standing at the edge of a high waterfall your are gambling with your life!:shock1:

Waterfalls are no playgrounds, there should be big signs warning people of walking near the edge of the falls!

Plahgat