Tell me why Pattaya to BKK by his

3. 9

Trump Revoked Flood Protections for Millions of Americans

4. 1,450

5 year multiple entry DTV visa (Destination Thailand) from 2024-xx-xx

5. 384

Kamala Harris Defends Policy Stance in Heated Fox News Interview

6. 0

US Visa for Thai Citizen - Do they have an Undisclosed Quota.

7. 15

Notifications not working properly

8. 204

If Trump is re-elected what does it say about the I.Q of the average American?

9. 50

I met Mr Independent

10. 17

What is the tax treaty between Canada and Thailand?

11. 384

Kamala Harris Defends Policy Stance in Heated Fox News Interview

12. 115

Are Older Men in Thailand Trading Love for Financial Ruin

What are my chances of getting Thai Credit Card

Kjglen

Hi,

I applied for a CitiBank credit card. I don’t expect to buy much on it but it’s easier than these thai debit cards to purchase things online. 

I have have a work permit, been employment for 6 months so far and have a 3 year contract (employer verified this). I earn 92,000 thb a month and have a year long rental agreement. 

They asked me for my UK address. I gave my mothers as I don’t have one. Why do they ask this? Is it for credit check (I don’t have any credit, at all)

What are my chances of getting accepted? Any other banks easier?

Thanks in advance 

I am not sure, but as you have a workpermit and a thai salary I would guess you should be fine becoming one.

Many things are changing. I have a thai credit card since more than 7 years. at that time It was much easier. I not sure if I still would become one today. Maybe because of my credit history I can become but maybe not.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, HampiK said:

I am not sure, but as you have a workpermit and a thai salary I would guess you should be fine becoming one.

Yup, I have Citi credit cards, credit limit now about 5 times my monthly salary. Be prepared for a stack of paperwork and at least one visit to the NCB (National Credit Bureau) for a credit check.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RichCor said:

From what I've seen from previous posts, other ThaiVisa members who have applied for Thai bank issued Credit (not Debit) Cards were being required to deposit funds in a locked account, so essentially they were receiving a prepaid or 'secured' Credit Card, not an actual Credit Card with a pre-approved credit limit.

^^^ This. You are actually using your own money to buy things on "credit". It's not a credit card at all.  

If you don't pay off your monthly balance, you are charged for using your own money, not the bank's. Abso-f**king-lutely absurd. This was with Kbank.

I had deposited 100,000 baht, thinking it was security for a new customer. I'd bought a small thing on the CC. Due to forgetting the date, I was charged interest for not paying it off and keeping my balance at 100,000 baht. It was not properly explained to me. Having found out the bank was holding my money and charging me to use it, I immediately cancelled it in month No. 2.  

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Kjglen said:

I have have a work permit, been employment for 6 months so far and have a 3 year contract (employer verified this). I earn 92,000 thb a month and have a year long rental agreement. 

The only thing which may go against you is the relatively short period you have been in employment.

Citi asked me for 6 months pay slips, a "letter of employment" from my employer, photocopies of everything immigration and work permit related and a credit report from NCB, 100 Baht from one of their offices (take your passport).

AmEx was similar although at that time they were offering cards (real no-deposit credit cards) to those without work permits.

14 hours ago, RichCor said:

From what I've seen from previous posts, other ThaiVisa members who have applied for Thai bank issued Credit (not Debit) Cards were being required to deposit funds in a locked account, so essentially they were receiving a prepaid or 'secured' Credit Card, not an actual Credit Card with a pre-approved credit limit.

you are 100% right :thumbsup:

I have credit cards with BB and Krungrsi. Simply walk into the back with your documents and request one. I have no idea why people moving here seemingly have so much difficulty doing the most menial tasks. You are employed here, have another bank account here, it should be no problem at all.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RichCor said:

It's easy. Don't need anything except an account in the bank and set the limit at 95% of whatever amount you are prepared to leave locked .

many years ago it was very easy to get a credit card for a foreigner. But unfortunately a lot of them took advantage of this ran up big bills and then disappeared. So the present regulations are quite understandable. But if you have a job in a work permit  it should not be much of a problem.

I did actually get one a few years ago from the Bangkok Bank. I'm on a retirement visa but because I was well known to the bank and had an account there for many years is probably the reason I got it

Maybe the rules have changed but since I started a direct deposit of my salary to SCB they have begged me to take their credit cards. I even had to cancel one as I did not need two. By the way Visa is the one you want. I have since retired but that requires a certain amount in any bank account anyway to get the retirement visa...so if you meet the limit you are still covered.

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yup, I have Citi credit cards, credit limit now about 5 times my monthly salary. Be prepared for a stack of paperwork and at least one visit to the NCB (National Credit Bureau) for a credit check.

Ive has a Citi Bank credit card for more than 2 years now. Credit limit got increased to 524,000 Baht within the first year. No trip to NCB, messenger from Citi came to my work place. Smooth sailing. 

I never use their credit however. Just pay 100% each and every time. 

Collected so many miles last year, the wife and I can go to Europe and back for free this summer. 

2 minutes ago, bbz404 said:

No trip to NCB, messenger from Citi came to my work place.

Actually you may well be correct on this one, I've been to the NCB so many times over the last couple of years (another story all together) that my memory may be faulty.

3 hours ago, catman20 said:

you are 100% right :thumbsup:

No, he's not. If you have a wp and worked for some time it's easy. No need to leave any money in some account. Some banks have some rules like citibank which require at least 80k salary per month for foreigners. Kasikorn was more easy. But in general you need to be at least 1 year working.

If you don't have a wp it's much more difficult.

Edited by Cheops
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cheops said:

No, he's not. If you have a wp and worked for some time it's easy. No need to leave any money in some account. Some banks have some rules like citibank which require at least 80k salary per month for foreigners. Kasikorn was more easy. But in general you need to be at least 1 year working.

If you don't have a wp it's much more difficult.

i was working on the basis that most farangs are retired living here.

21 hours ago, RichCor said:

Correct. I have a BB credit card with a limit of THB30k and it was necessary to place that amount in a deposit account. No big deal really. No annual fees.

3 hours ago, glasswort said:

Correct. I have a BB credit card with a limit of THB30k and it was necessary to place that amount in a deposit account. No big deal really. No annual fees.

It is a very big deal as this is not a Credit Card anymore; it is a prepaid card. It's like you are giving a loan to the bank to work with your capital to just be given the convenience of having a payment method the bank should normally provide you anyway (given certain criteria of course).

Also, while I do not know your personal situation, what good is 30,000 THB credit. With that, you're unable to book airplane tickets, pre-authorize the rental deposit for a rental car, pay large hotel bills; basically everything I use my credit card for. Of course, if you're just going to the occasional restaurant and paying your Tesco groceries, then it's enough, but I don't get the point of doing that by credit card. What are the benefits the banks gives you with this card? Miles redemption, Dinner privileges, Hotel privileges or something?

26 minutes ago, bbz404 said:

It is a very big deal as this is not a Credit Card anymore; it is a prepaid card. It's like you are giving a loan to the bank to work with your capital to just be given the convenience of having a payment method the bank should normally provide you anyway (given certain criteria of course).

Also, while I do not know your personal situation, what good is 30,000 THB credit. With that, you're unable to book airplane tickets, pre-authorize the rental deposit for a rental car, pay large hotel bills; basically everything I use my credit card for. Of course, if you're just going to the occasional restaurant and paying your Tesco groceries, then it's enough, but I don't get the point of doing that by credit card. What are the benefits the banks gives you with this card? Miles redemption, Dinner privileges, Hotel privileges or something?

Personally I do not use my card for any of the items you refer to. I do not like carrying cash and BB's dropping Visa in favour of Union Pay means that I cannot use that debit card at a number of outlets, Big C and PTT in particular. 30k is ample for my requirements; interest is paid, o.k. 1.5% less tax is not much. I believe there are rewards of  some sort but I imagine they are not that brilliant. Basically the card, no matter what you call it, is convenient.

On 2/23/2018 at 6:01 PM, RichCor said:

You are spot on in most cases they are not a true credit card as you do have to deposit the amount of your credit limit.

If you are in employment I don’t think this would be the case but it has worked ok for my wife and I who both have cards but don’t have employment.

In our case we use the cards for convenience and as was the case in Australia always pay the balance by the due date so no no interest

I might be wrong but would be surprised if they would give someone a card in Australia for the first time if unemployed and no credit history.

Actually who need a real credit card where you only pay a part of the credit back at the end of the month?

Every smart person with the money always pays back the amount at the end of the month, because else you have to pay an interest which would make no sense, except you not have the money to pay it!

From this part, a so called debit card is exactly what most people are looking for. But a debit card has the disadvantage that they not always can be used everywhere. So  the credit card with a deposit in the background is the perfect solution for almost every foreigner!

You receive a interest on the money in the deposit and you have a credit card which you always have to pay at the end of the month.

I have a credit card in my own country and in Thailand and never paid late. Who want to pay like 12% interest.

Have had a Krungsri signature visa card for years. Have had no problems, the balance have to be paid in full at the end of each month.

Why dont people use the credit card from their home country. I have a Amex card and get a really good exchange rate on purchases and no conversion exchange charge.

Edited by uffe123

2 hours ago, uffe123 said:

Why dont people use the credit card from their home country. I have a Amex card and get a really good exchange rate on purchases and no conversion exchange charge.

I guess some have difficulties to obtain a new credit card from their homecountry, when they life outside of.

As long you still have an address in your home country then it's no problem, but when you live permanently in Thailand, then a Thai credit (debit card) I think will be important.

26 minutes ago, HampiK said:
3 hours ago, uffe123 said:

I guess some have difficulties to obtain a new credit card from their homecountry, when they life outside of.  As long you still have an address in your home country then it's no problem, but when you live permanently in Thailand, then a Thai credit (debit card) I think will be important.

One issue using a foreign card would be online shopping and submitting a Thailand shipping address.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RichCor said:

One issue using a foreign card would be online shopping and submitting a Thailand shipping address.

No, that wouldn't be any issue. I use a Thai cc to buy stuff online in China and let it send to other people's addresses to several countries. No problem. 

I do however sometimes have an issue with PayPal when sending stuff to different addresses.

About the fact why some people don't have a cc anymore in their home country. When you are moved to Thailand and don't have any income in your home country it's very difficult or even impossible to get a cc in your home country. No sane bank will give you a cc without income. 

On 2/24/2018 at 3:56 PM, bbz404 said:

Ive has a Citi Bank credit card for more than 2 years now. Credit limit got increased to 524,000 Baht within the first year. No trip to NCB, messenger from Citi came to my work place. Smooth sailing. 

I never use their credit however. Just pay 100% each and every time. 

Collected so many miles last year, the wife and I can go to Europe and back for free this summer. 

I just got my Citibank ROP card last month as well. I have a work permit and good income here, so they gave me a 400kTHB limit. Hopefully I can raise it after a few months as my monthly expenses can easily exceed that.

I had 5 years of credit using AMEX Thailand and 2 auto loans, so it was just as easy as the above poster mentioned.