Health warning as rabies spreads rapidly

rooster59

22 hours ago, giddyup said:

A well looked after domestic dog will be vaccinated against rabies, so there is no risk of either getting rabies or passing rabies on to the owner.There is nothing the responsible dog owner can do about people who own unprotected dogs other than try and ensure they don't get bitten by one. I live in a gated village that has a handful of dog owners. All the dogs are fenced in and no soi dogs can enter the village, is this scenario safe enough to meet your approval? I would guess not.

Glad to hear there's only a handful of dog owners.  Presumably none of the dogs bark or crap to spoil this perfect environment for the sensible people.  Walling dogs in is a good idea; but I suspect they sometimes go out shopping with their doting owners and may encounter diseased dogs?

Soi dogs need eradicating.  Dog owner should always ensure their dogs are yarded and don't bark continuously.

If they take their dogs out of the yard, they should be held responsible for them always on a leash and clean up after them.  Why should other have to dodge shit and barking all the time becuase of irresponsible dog owners.

44 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Glad to hear there's only a handful of dog owners.  Presumably none of the dogs bark or crap to spoil this perfect environment for the sensible people.  Walling dogs in is a good idea; but I suspect they sometimes go out shopping with their doting owners and may encounter diseased dogs?

Try and get the blinkers surgically removed. Obviously in your opinion the only good dog is a dead one. No matter how responsible an owner, that's never good enough for you.

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Try and get the blinkers surgically removed. Obviously in your opinion the only good dog is a dead one. No matter how responsible an owner, that's never good enough for you.

The only good and safe soi dogs are dead ones and that is what is needed - mass culling carried out by the army.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

The only good and safe soi dogs are dead ones and that is what is needed - mass culling carried out by the army.

My response to mikebell was re domestic dogs with responsible owners.

22 hours ago, giddyup said:

There are good working dogs; they guard houses; sniff out drugs; herd sheep etc.  Some dogs can bring comfort to lonely people.  These I would spare from the cull.  The rest I consider disease-spreading, accident-causing, oxygen-thieving, parasites.

The Elizabethan's used to empty chamber pots out of their bedroom windows because they knew no better.  In 400 years time children will be aghast to learn that humans lived  cheek-by-jowl with these creatures.

Rabies in a place like Thailand with its large soi dog/stray dog population

has legs to grow quickly

Folks tend to think of it as a treatable problem & it can be if caught before onset of symptoms after infection.

But if not once symptoms show infected folks have approx 7 days to live

Something like near 60K are killed from rabies infections per year

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, cooked said:

So basically, people with dogs are numpties? 

Maybe you just don't like dogs.

I had dogs and cats for 60 years, 30 of which were in a rabies infected area and never heard of a case of rabies. The only case I know of was caused by a cow. Our dogs don't mix with other dogs, all safely fenced and gated, Thanks for your advice antway.

My dog (Sha Pei bear coat) gets inoculated and checked  for both Rabies and tick every month, certain ticks  in Thai can cause problems with both pets and humans, nearly lost the dog through the tick.................:coffee1:

• Like 2

has legs to grow quickly

Folks tend to think of it as a treatable problem & it can be if caught before onset of symptoms after infection.

Dies that refers to animals in Thailand? Or
Human deaths world wide?

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

There are good working dogs; they guard houses; sniff out drugs; herd sheep etc.  Some dogs can bring comfort to lonely people.  These I would spare from the cull.  The rest I consider disease-spreading, accident-causing, oxygen-thieving, parasites.

The Elizabethan's used to empty chamber pots out of their bedroom windows because they knew no better.  In 400 years time children will be aghast to learn that humans lived  cheek-by-jowl with these creatures.

Dogs have co-existed with man for 1000's of years, don't see that ending anytime soon as much as you might wish it. I certainly prefer a dogs company to many humans.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, agudbuk said:

Dies that refers to animals in Thailand? Or
Human deaths world wide?

Human rabies. An average of 60 000 people die from rabies annually,

and more than 15 million people receive post-exposure prophylaxis every year.

The rabies virus is contracted through wounds (e.g. scratches from an infected animal)

or by direct contact with mucosal surfaces (e.g. bite from an infect animal).

WHO | Human rabies

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

There you are

Guard dogs ok!

My three are guard dogs plus family pets They dont go in house or mix with loso thai dogs of dubious parentage certainly not soi dogs ! 

We have a fair bit of land its walled in they are more than happy there 

Cats snakes people without an invite all fair game to them

They are ok you said it

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

You are now back to stating that dog ownership is general is bad.  Dogs and people have been partners since well before the beginning of civilization.  Pet ownership has been shown to have numerous mental and physical health benefits. 

Dogs are less essential for safety and hunting than before, but they make us feel better.  They do so at a much lower cost to individual wallets and the environment than fast cars, closets bursting with clothes, alcohol and many other expensive, dangerous, and unhealthy staples of modern life.

It's clear, you don't like dogs.  Fine, don't own a dog.  Perhaps you don't like alcohol and think it's barbaric to eat meat, if so you should abstain from alcohol and meat.  Perhaps you seek to minimize your carbon footprint and the accumulation of unnecessary stuff so popular in our consumer society and choose to live like a monk.  However if you aren't living like an ascetic monk, don't criticize others for the comparatively safe and economical pleasure of owning dogs.

4 hours ago, meechai said:

has legs to grow quickly

Let's see, tens of thousands of traffic deaths in Thailand every year  https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/work/738124/thailand-roads-second-deadliest-in-world-un-agency-finds

and 8 rabies deaths in 2015. http://www.who.int/neglected_diseases/news/Thailand_committed_to_defeating_human_rabies_2020/en/

Which problem should we be most worried about?

I agree there needs to be more pet inoculations, and that the stray dog problem needs to be dealt with, preferably by emphasis on spaying and neutering but, in extreme cases, with a cull conducted in a manner to minimize risk to people and pets.  I don't agree with "everybody panic, grab a gun and start shooting dogs!".

Edited by heybruce

On 2/25/2018 at 7:05 AM, edwinchester said:

Where we live, Kanchanaburi, it is possible to buy and administer the vaccine yourself.

Also, from time to time, local administrations offer free vaccinations of animals so worth asking at your local Orbitor if they run a similar scheme.

It might not be that easy to do yourself, it has to be sub-cutaneous, it must not be either into blood vessel or into muscle, probably quite easy to make a mistake.

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I think it's dangerous to make blanket statements such as that.

The manufacturers state that refrigeration is necessary.

The research you provided states that at temperatures typical to Thailand the one vaccine they tested lasted between 3 to 6 months.

This is excellent news, however the use before date of the vaccine is based on the vaccine being refrigerated and is longer than 6 months.

I'm sure you can imagine a situation where people believe refrigeration is not necessary and then keeping stocks on the shelf at ambient temperatures longer than 6 months.

This situation wouldn't be good for anyone.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

It might not be that easy to do yourself, it has to be sub-cutaneous, it must not be either into blood vessel or into muscle, probably quite easy to make a mistake.

I've given injections before so not a problem but something to bear in mind.

As an alternative, where we live, if there are no local schemes available a vet only charges 50 bht a time for a shot that lasts a year.

On 2/25/2018 at 10:03 AM, impulse said:

In my apartment complex in China, just about every apartment without a dog has been burglarized- often at night with the people asleep.  None of those  with dogs have been successfully broken into.  Coincidence?  I think not. 

I'm not sure how removing their vocal chords would serve to protect my loved ones when I'm gone or asleep.

The Ayis Collab?

In the land of fake smiles, the cleaner robs the house when farangs go on a holiday.

On 02/03/2018 at 9:51 AM, giddyup said:

Dogs have co-existed with man for 1000's of years, don't see that ending anytime soon as much as you might wish it. I certainly prefer a dogs company to many humans.

Polio/TB have co-existed with man for 1000's of years; huge steps forward in medicine have all but eradicated them: it's called progress.  Preferring dogs' company to humans means you don't choose your friends wisely or you're happy with the level of communication.

Now I really must move on as there are other windmills to tilt at.

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Polio/TB have co-existed with man for 1000's of years; huge steps forward in medicine have all but eradicated them: it's called progress.  Preferring dogs' company to humans means you don't choose your friends wisely or you're happy with the level of communication.

Now I really must move on as there are other windmills to tilt at.

There are major differences between diseases and dogs, but given your pathological hatred of dogs I don't think it's worthwhile trying to explain.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ostlund56 said:

The stray dogs should not be vaccinated, they shot be shot dead at the spot. That will solve the problem. Period.

Right.  We'll put you in the "Let's have lots of gunfire in residential areas" camp.

BTW, eradicating all soi dogs will not solve the problem; rabies exists in the wild, and diseases in the wild have a way of reaching civilization.  Do you advocate killing all animals?