British dad jailed in Thailand for 'abducting' son who 'asked to be taken away'

rooster59

British dad jailed in Thailand for 'abducting' son who 'asked to be taken away'

By Sarah Arnold

EMB-PAY-PROD-Press-People-picture-collectJodie-Smith-from-Edinburgh-photographed-with-his-son-Joleon-nine-in.jpg

Jodie Smith last week tried to recover nine-year-old Joleon from his Thai-born mum (Image: Press People)

A British dad poses with the son he had been attempting to bring home when he was jailed in Thailand for abduction.

Jodie Smith last week tried to recover nine-year-old Joleon, allegedly snatched by his Thai-born mum.

The carer, 41, was held at Bangkok airport on Wednesday.

Sean Felton, of charity Abducted Angels, was detained days later.

Full story: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-dad-jailed-thailand-abducting-12083653

Mirror: 2018-02-25

• Sad 2

I wonder if the child was just travelling on an emergency travel document. I would imagine the son was not holding his passport when he was playing in the street where his dad found him. This may have put airport officials on alert.

One way to do it is to pay off the mother but do it under the "village law" with the involvement of phoo yai, e.g. military officer, phoo yai bahn, etc. Many have done it this way including estranged Thai couples.

For those who feel this might happen to them, take physical control of the child's passports now and inform border agencies that the child cannot travel without permission.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cyberfarang said:

Also unless the Thai mother has been given legal custody of the child in Thailand, then the father has not broken any laws by taking his child, with or without the Thai mother`s permission. So why is he in jail? Definitely a lot more to this story then we`re being told.

Unmarried Fathers in Thailand have no legal rights at all .

• Like 1

I was writing something in favor of the father without knowing the facts surrounding this ugly situation so i decided to hope and pray that i will never have to go through this and leave it there as it is!

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

They then tried to marry in Thailand, but the official stopped the ceremony when Jintra admitted she was already wed under local laws to another Brit.

Another classy Thai female. :coffee1:

Not about class. It is about self-righteousness or fear of the consequences. Probably the latter.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Unmarried Fathers in Thailand have no legal rights at all .

According to the report, the couple are married. When she tries to marry her next mug, the same will apply that she is already married as what happened the first time.

If she does file for divorce in Britain she will be eligible for free local authority housing, child support and full welfare benefits, the courts and child support agency will impose the guy pays for everything. Whichever way it goes this woman is in a win, win situation, the poor sucker will be sucked dry one way or another and if lucky he may receive limited visitation rights with his son.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

I guess he broke the law. He has to go trough family court just like everybody else have to do in most of the countries I am aware of.

Just a sneaky one trying to take an illegal shortcut.

Which unfortunately could be a strong negative about his credibility in the eyes of the court.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Thai mother doesn't win everytime

I agree. These definitive proclamations about cases that have not even taken place, invalidate this premise and question the credentials of the poster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Benmart said:

I agree. These definitive proclamations about cases that have not even taken place, invalidate this premise and question the credentials of the poster.

Custodial Court cases can take years and even if you do get the Court ruling , its not upheld by any authority , especially for village dwellers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1