The Mother in law

Rodwalloper

1 hour ago, Lamkyong said:

my mother in law gave my wife the house we live in   all i did was spend some cash to modernize/upgrade  to make for comfortable living

I have no actual problem with people doing it as its their business however it should only be done if its for reasons of genuinely wanting to not to keep the daughter.

your case is unusual and fantastic, she must love her daughter very much and care about you also.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Rodwalloper said:

I have no actual problem with people doing it as its their business however it should only be done if its for reasons of genuinely wanting to not to keep the daughter.

your case is unusual and fantastic, she must love her daughter very much and care about you also.

wanting to not to keep the daughter.???sorry lost me there

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I suspect my MiL buying my truck with her money and putting it in my name will probably do your tiny little head in.

But never mind, eh? As you say, it is their business and thereby absolutely NONE of yours.

Bloody noobs....

It's a forum and you will get ridiculed for doing something stupid....like buying a house and paying the stipend to your MIL.

So, if you want people to mind their own business, don't post or read this forum.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

There is someone wielding great power over you whispering in your ear. Personal wealth can be fleeting for a farang in Thailand.

Tell that to the many, many bitter and twisted new(ish) arrivals who are living the Thai dream but only AFTER losing the farm to wifey back home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lamkyong said:

my mother in law gave my wife the house we live in   all i did was spend some cash to modernize/upgrade  to make for comfortable living

That was very sensible, and the chances are you will all live happily ever after. That is the sort of thing I would have done, but my wifes house was already half built for her and her son and daughter when we met, and her mum and dad and brothers have their own house nearby.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobbyL said:

Firstly,  buying the MIL a house? Jesus Christ :shock1:

Secondly, why the hell would they allow their MIL to ever even contemplate moving in?

Some guys here are such suckers and seem to never have heard about putting their foot down and not letting people take the p! ss. 

But a lot of the silly old Farangs need to buy the love of their Thai wifes and her family as that is

the only way they will get them.

25 minutes ago, johnmcc6 said:

I replaced a second hand  tin shed for a proper kitchen and will soon do a bathroom make over. Why? Because I can. They have never asked a thing from me. They also returned sin sot money. Trying to live at their age with no water pressure and a bucket is not on. It's all under the heading of family.

I am not trying to get at you, but is it not a bit stupid to pay a sin sot in the first place, it is a Thai custom, not yours.

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

It's just a cultural difference. In the West, old people in need either live in their offspring's house or in elder accommodation, with any shortfall in funds made up by pension or the welfare state.

In Asia, it is the responsibility of the offspring to care for their parents and in some cases their siblings, family first, no welfare state. Buying houses is part of the process. Never helped me as my wife does not get on with her grasping parents, who never looked after her as a kid, so they will get nothing from us.

In Korea , where it is considered as Asia, parents buy their children a home to settle in after marriage.