Tourists flee in terror as jet ski operator shoots rival dead on Chaweng beach, Koh Samui

webfact

17 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

What on Earth is "Som nom nam"?

There are various ways to write it in English, i.e. as above, or Som num nar or Som nam nar, its "serves you right" in Thai, I prefer my version when writing it as it also mocks the translation when writing it. But when saying it, its nar at the end.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hgma said:

It is time for a nation wide crack down on illegal gun possession! 

RIP

Righhhht.....if it was the USA the guns would have been legal and all would have been good?

Edited by dotpoom

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

It might be obvious to your naked eye but perhaps we are seeing different things. My wife works for a tourist related business in the North and whilst in the past two weeks we have started to enter low season, the preceding six months have been overwhelmingly crazy with more tourists than they could sensibly handle, so much so they're having problems finding staff. BIL runs a tourist van service from his own web sites, drives people and small groups all over Thailand, he's not had a slack day for more months than he can remember. Anectodatal evidence of course but we hear the same stories from other businesses that we know, tourism in the North is in very good shape. 

Same here. Hotel i work for in Phuket has been full to death for months now all the way from December. There's xmas, then NY, then orthodox xmas, then chinese NY, then songkran, lmao what bars are closing down? Of course sex related bars are closing cuz who the hell needs them anyways, 60 yrs old veterans?

Went to karon yesterday, packed af, katanoi last week packed, absolutely no space to sit, and luckily it is not only chinese faces, been seeing absolutely everyone. 

6 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

I have heard this argument many times... on paper Thailand tourism is up and up. But where are the tourists? Every place I have lived.. Chiang Mai.. Samui.. Krabi.. Bangkok... ALL the expats and Thai say that the streets are very quiet.. Business is horrible and fewer clients in hotels.. Massage shops.. Restaurants. In my 3 years here... It does all seem very quiet.. Everywhere! 

https://newsroom.mastercard.com/press-releases/defining-what-makes-a-city-a-destination/

2016 International Overnight Visitors Growth Forecast for 2017
Bangkok 19.41 million visitors 4.0 percent
London 19.06 million visitors 5.0 percent
Paris 15.45 million visitors 4.4 percen

lets see now...who do we believe...the eyeball of 3 year rookie called happykamper or MasterCard ? (wikipedia)

Gee need to think about it :cheesy:

3 hours ago, MaxLee said:

Boycott Chaweng Beach :post-4641-1156693976:

Last time we stayed on Chaweng in a bungalow-resort we had to hear very loud boom boom boom disconoises all night long untill 6 am. All the guests of the resort sit outside all night because we couldn't sleep from it.

Do you think we'll go back there? Think again hahaha.

Maybe the recipient of the slug, used those very, very famous 2 words (or tried to punish the person that used those 2 words).  Matt96 can you enlighten us, as to how you would punish the shooter?  :ph34r:

Edited by CanuckThai
penmanship

4 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

The thing is that the face and profile of tourism in Thailand has been constantly changing and that's been true since I first started living here in 2004. I remember when western tourist numbers were first down in Pattaya and all the bar owners were screaming that the place would never be the same again, that was early 2000! Chinese and other Asian countries that make up the majority of the tourist numbers into Thailand don't sit in Pattaya or Phuket bars all day and don't spend their nights chasing bar girls so it's no wonder the average western tourist doesn't see them and thinks the world is coming to an end. Try looking at any one of the (non-bar/non-sex) tourist-related businesses in the North which are packed out daily, not with westerners but with Asians, or try talking to one of the tour operators in the North, that'll give you a better idea of what's happening on the tourist front, it is doing very very well.

Yes and most of the coaches I see are not full like they used to be 

• Like 1

a hill tribe friend showed me some guns (I can't call them rifles, because they didn't have rifling).  I had asked about getting a gun because there's such a problem with dog barking in the rural area around my house.  Two of the guns he showed me were so primitive, as to almost be a joke - but they wouldn't be very funny if they projected a piece of metal into a body.

The 3rd was also v. home-made, but of better quality.  However, his asking price was a bit steep, so I declined.  Plus, it's illegal for a farang to have a gun.  Still got dog problems though. 

I think it's legal for a farang to have an air-gun in Thailand - which shoots pellets.  However, I went in to a local shop which sold such guns, and the Thai guy running the place was unfriendly.  He wouldn't even turn to look at me, when responding with one word answers to my questions.

4 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Non Chinese tourism is down in the last 5 years...

the thai reports just trying to save face....

goodbye thailand hello Zambia or is it Gambia?

My guesthouse/café in Pattaya Central averaged over 90% occupancy the last 12 months, over 97% the last three months only due to last minute cancelations. Our guests are from all over the world. Can't see how it could be much better

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nasrullah said:

It's becoming more dog eat dog in Land Of Scams.....I fear it will only get worse as western tourists continue

to downsize their holiday spend....the glory spending days of say 2000-2007 are well and truly over...

Thais are feeling the pinch!

You are talking utter rubbish!  Tourist arrivals on Koh Samui are up on an annual basis and it is not only the affect of the Chinese.  Sure, Thailand is a little bit like the wild west, but no more so than USA whose shooting record is appaling.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Media1 said:

Here you have a temporary PM.ranting about sex workers. Which is quarter of the country..This man couldn't even remove corrupt police and jet ski thugs lol..A serious PM required lol. He also had a whole army.

Only in your mind is 250,000 people, one-quarter of the country.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Here, read this and come back to me with questions, that way you'll know what you're talking about:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

For info, for everyone else, tourist numbers have increased year on year but most importantly the average spend per tourist has also increased year on year. And as much as people might not want to believe it, Chinese tourists account for over 25% of all visitors to Thailand AND their daily average spend is also well over the average.

You do realise that Wikipedia is made up of totally unsubstantiated contributions from all and sundry don't you? 

Furthermore, more reputable sources have shown a steady decline in visitor numbers to Thailand in recent years - indeed, British tourists fell by 50% in 2016-17. [reasons cited - artificially high Baht, other more 'enticing' Asian destinations such as Cambodia and Vietnam and the risks of death or injury]. 

Maybe you need to follow your own advice....?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, hgma said:

It is time for a nation wide crack down on illegal gun possession! 

RIP

Guns/weapons belong to Thai culture. Same as being hot tempered/hearted and violent. Same you can see on the roads every day. They cannot handle their emotions